IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th July 2015, 05:41 PM

techguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished road
Question Multiple word domains in Arabic

I have a question regarding multiple word domain names in Arabic.

Consider this domain name: هواتف-محمولة.com

(I do not own this domain name. I am using this domain name just as an example)

I hope the domain name is "Mobile-Phones.com" in Arabic, and the hyphen separates the two Arabic words from getting mixed up.

Altho' the domain is semantically "Mobile-Phones.com", technically from left to right, it reads "Phones-Mobile.com", if my understanding is correct. Correct me if I am wrong.

My question is, whether the first word "Mobile" should be on the right side, next to the dot (similar to how an Arabic sentence is read), or should be on the left side (similar to a normal English domain name)?

How the multiple word Arabic domain names are read? From left to right, or right to left?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2015, 03:02 AM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: Multiple word domains in Arabic

This is what's known as a 'bi-di' conflict in the unicode jargon. When you have two scripts in the same string, one RTL and the other LTR, it behaves weirdly.

Arabic IDNs are read RTL, so the first word is the one just left of the .com

In the future, when .com in arabic is launched, the TLD will be at the far left of the string and the full string will read RTL, as follows :

هواتف-محمولة.كوم

this is because the full string will comprised of RTL characters, so this will eliminate any bi-di (bi directional) conflict thus computers will have no issue displaying the string coherently
Old 23rd July 2015, 01:53 PM

techguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Multiple word domains in Arabic

Thanks for the clarification. Much Appreciated.