IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2015, 10:23 AM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road
Re: Verisign

Quote:
So a phased rollout, starting before the end of the year. And possibly premium pricing.
Premium pricing? Does that mean one has to pay $xxx-xxxx/year to get IDN.IDN for your IDN.com?

Quote:
Only that we're still working on it. And that, as you know, we do have complete flexibility by each individual IDN and by each region. So, we also have the flexibility to utilize premium pricing. There are a number of different – of course, it's very different from the provisions of the dot-com registry agreements. So, we have tremendous flexibility.
Short-term profit thinking to keep the shareholders happy = long-term screw-up. One can only hope that they choose not to go the premium route(and replicate the successful .com pricing model) and if they do one can hope that they screw up and manage not to identify valuable generic keyword domains.

Last edited by 123; 31st July 2015 at 10:34 AM..
Old 31st July 2015, 12:10 PM

hanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished road

IDN.IDNs are nonsense totally.
If you give up the IDN.com, they will catch it cheaper.
Even though, the low value IDN.coms those were registered after 2003.
Old 31st July 2015, 07:04 PM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
Premium pricing? Does that mean one has to pay $xxx-xxxx/year to get IDN.IDN for your IDN.com?
Yes, which makes perfect sense in a world where the per capita GDP of all these other countries is much larger than the English speaking world. Of course, that's not this world.

Can't wait to see their premium pricing for Hindi and Chinese, where the per capita GDP is under $8k.

Quote:
Short-term profit thinking to keep the shareholders happy = long-term screw-up.
That pretty much sums it up.

Quote:
One can only hope that they choose not to go the premium route(and replicate the successful .com pricing model) and if they do one can hope that they screw up and manage not to identify valuable generic keyword domains.
They will; he was explicit. Remember, they are not happy with the .com pricing restrictions imposed on them by the DoC, that's why he brought it up.

And it would take a bag of idiots to not identify keywords now that they have 15 years of market research in the form of adds, drops, transfers, corrections etc. from the IDN community. That's worth a LOT more than the reg. fees. They don't even have to hire translators: we did it for them.

You're welcome, Verisign.
Old 31st July 2015, 10:46 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

BTW, what were some of the biggest IDN.com sales?
Old 1st August 2015, 12:39 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
I have to agree with blast here, it's game over.

never mind what we individually might or might not get after all this sunrise BS... the bottom line is that we need traction and mass adoption and trust in these new gtlds. That will never happen when different owners have the potential to own the exact same sounding domain.ext.

This latest move by Verisign is nothing more than commercial damage limitation to recoup their outlay
Actually, I disagree. I don't think Verisign's (hypothetical) decision not to bundle means "game over".

If I'm an end user, and I'm interested in buying водка.ком,I will probably ask the seller if водка.com is also available. Might as well pick up the type-in traffic, in case some poorly-written applications auto-append .com to what is clearly a Cyrillic domain. Plus, some mobile-phone keyboards come with a ".com" key.

But I won't worry whether some deranged cybersquatter registers водка.コム or водка.קום, because none of my customers will ever try to type those. I don't care whether Verisign has a way of preventing anyone but me from registering these.

Likewise, if my competitor decides to purchase пиво.ком, I don't really care whether or not he succeeds in purchasing пиво.com as well. That is, I don't care whether Verisign enforces bundling for пиво.com/.ком, since that's not my domain.

What this boils down to: Sellers who can sell both the .com and the .com-in-IDN domain will be at an advantage. But end users won't care whether bundling is enforced everywhere for .com/.com-in-IDN, because they are only interested in the domain they are purchasing. The idea that bundling will affect .ком's overall trustworthiness is in the mind of domain investors, not end users. End users don't spend time thinking about this kind of thing; they are too busy running their businesses.

Two much more important factors in the uptake of .com-in-IDN:

1) Will Verisign be able to leverage the name recognition of .com to promote the new TLDs? (This will be difficult for the Chinese version, since it sounds so little like "com").

2) Are end users (and their customers) interested in domains in their own script/language? When I started playing with IDNs in 2009, I thought the answer was obviously "yes". But given the limited uptake of IDN TLDs such as .рф, I'm no longer as sure.

So there are still a lot of risks, and the game could still end badly. But the (possible) lack of bundling is not a major factor, and the game is not over yet.

Avtal

Last edited by Avtal; 1st August 2015 at 12:42 AM..
Old 1st August 2015, 01:42 AM

hanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished roadhanidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post

2) Are end users (and their customers) interested in domains in their own script/language? When I started playing with IDNs in 2009, I thought the answer was obviously "yes". But given the limited uptake of IDN TLDs such as .рф, I'm no longer as sure.

They want their own script and language domains but Extension.

They want to hang with the most famous and already known top ranked Extension.

It is nonsense that I worry someone who never run faster than I am.

If I am always the winner why do I have to care about the new runner’s looking or his record?

The new .com_in_IDNs are just one of many brand new gTLDs.

If I registered IDN.com, I do not carry who registered IDN.net, IDN.org or IDN.biz... It’s same.

Main concern is only who has many valuable IDN.coms or not…

Only very few IDN.com owners will stand on winner's circle.

Last edited by hanidn; 1st August 2015 at 02:11 AM..
Old 1st August 2015, 10:38 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner View Post
You really want a public list of them at this point?

Drill a hole through the hard drive, they're all worth $7.99.
Old 1st August 2015, 12:37 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You can find them easily if you do some research. There were very few public low 6 figure sales, a couple perhaps...

Majority of the "high" sales xxxx, a few xxxxx and a couple of low xxxxxx.(mostly japanese and a huge russian sale)
Old 1st August 2015, 12:40 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper View Post
You really want a public list of them at this point?
Drill a hole through the hard drive, they're all worth $7.99.
But nobody is selling any A list idns.
Old 1st August 2015, 06:06 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper View Post
they're all worth $7.99.
I will pay up to 15x this amount for your premium names. PM me.
Old 3rd August 2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I will pay up to 15x this amount for your premium names. PM me.
They're not worth that. They're not worth selling, and they're not worth buying. They're not worth anything until we know what the renewal costs are via Verisign's premium pricing. HINT: The lower we value them, the lower the "premium" should be.

Aliasing is dead, now two different entities can own .com and .comIDN.

So, let's say you were the CTO of the largest bank in Russia, Сбербанк, which happens to translate to "savings bank," arguably generic. Would you entrust your website to Сбербанк.kom knowing that Сбербанк.com is owned by someone else and they sound identical?

Forget the keyboard change, this doesn't pass the radio test.

And in my hypothetical situation you run a bank, with login and password requirements, which can be phished extremely easily by the .com holder if it's not tied to .kom.

Are you going to trust Verisign with your clients' login information? Are you going to pay a premium not just for the new .kom, but also for the .com that's been held for who knows how many years and at who knows what cost?

No, you're going to do what's safe. Use the domain you always have, or move to a native script TLD you can trust, and not have to buy out a .com holder.
Old 18th September 2015, 10:26 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Anyone hear anything new?
Old 19th September 2015, 02:13 AM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
Anyone hear anything new?
Damn! I came here to check out your post to see if YOU had anything new.

Oh well. Suffer we must a bit longer, I guess.
Old 19th September 2015, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Just sitting and waiting.

When you think about it, they could actually do the TM allocations DURING the mandatory DNS shutdown phase, they just wouldn't go live until the DNS was allowed to fire up. That would have saved some time.
Old 19th September 2015, 08:43 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Just sitting and waiting.

When you think about it, they could actually do the TM allocations DURING the mandatory DNS shutdown phase, they just wouldn't go live until the DNS was allowed to fire up. That would have saved some time.
They are also not obliged to publicise anything, which may work to our advantage.