IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2015, 10:38 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road
Re: CONGRATULATIONS IDNers!!

I have also inquired name.com if they will be participating in Verisign's priority access program. Will update when I hear back from them. If anyone else already has the info, please share.

Thanks!

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 11th November 2015 at 11:07 PM..
Old 12th November 2015, 06:17 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Now all we will need is an interest in IDN from other than a few.
Old 12th November 2015, 04:44 PM

domainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished road

Hopefully the new interest in short names will roll over into short idn's. One character .com's should go first??
Old 13th November 2015, 02:12 AM

NameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enough

The problem is tiered, premium pricing. If true, and unless it is something nominal and one-time all domain investment and resale potential goes straight to Verisign, and there is no point in celebrating anything. Has no one seen how this has destroyed domain investments in the other gTLDs? People paying these premium prices are fooling themselves into a speculative investment that will almost surely, never come to fruition and paying 10x 25x 100x reg fee per year. We need more clarity on the tiered pricing at this point.
Old 13th November 2015, 03:57 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameYourself View Post
The problem is tiered, premium pricing. If true, and unless it is something nominal and one-time all domain investment and resale potential goes straight to Verisign, and there is no point in celebrating anything. Has no one seen how this has destroyed domain investments in the other gTLDs? People paying these premium prices are fooling themselves into a speculative investment that will almost surely, never come to fruition and paying 10x 25x 100x reg fee per year. We need more clarity on the tiered pricing at this point.
Agreed: part of what makes .com a brand and fosters a secondary market for it is its price point. That price point, however, is enforced by the Department of Commerce, which has no authority over these TLDs.

Let's not see these go the way of .みんな.
Old 13th November 2015, 11:34 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper View Post
Agreed: part of what makes .com a brand and fosters a secondary market for it is its price point. That price point, however, is enforced by the Department of Commerce, which has no authority over these TLDs.

Let's not see these go the way of .みんな.
Yes,that would mean failure of the New GTLDs, but that actually could be a win for existing IDN.com owners.

What has been holding back IDN.com is lack of publicity and a feeling that it is going to be superceded by something better, and that dot Com holders would miss out.

Obviously, we have rights to what we have. If Verisign make such a pigs ear of the New GTLD whilst at the same time creating huge awareness, that could play right into our lap.

Verisign need to focus on the fact that have been forced into damage limitation mode by ICANN.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 13th November 2015 at 11:36 AM..
Old 13th November 2015, 06:38 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

mixed script is not necessarily a good option for all languages (see Russian or Arabic for example)
Old 13th November 2015, 08:21 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough
My opinion.

I think idn.com for Chinese will just have to do for that part of my portfolio.
I think the idn.idn for com is a non starter, and I think the idn gtlds are proving to users and owners that dot com is the platinum standard.

I think Arabic is the huge winner.
The other RTL languages will follow in medium to long term.

Russian.
I think it is a winner. But I think the premium landrush and the trademark regime may be a nightmare for IDNF members who have great one word names.
Additionally, I think the Putin gov will screw with businesses who try to run idn.KOM businesses from outside the country.
For 8 years I thought the biggest political risk was the dot CN market and the opaqueness of CNNIC, but the dot RU , dot PY, and dot KOM is more distressing.

I think Japanese is a technical winner, but I hope Japanese firms will prove the branding value. The absence of the dot JP idn.idn helps here in my opinion.

I think Korean is a technical and branding winner. Friends of mine say, mobile phone users for web navigation to IDN.IDN in korean are going to be thrilled.

Thai is a huge winner.

Hindi and the other Indian languages is a winner for the millions of mobile internet phone users who do not read or speak English.

Latin ...Spanish/French/Portuguese/ sadly no change, but if EU firms would start IDN branding with their grammatically correct accents this could change.
It seems that German is the only bright light here.

I think Greek and the east european Cyrllic language name owners will be successful, but I am truly guessing here based on IDNF postings etc..

Personally, Chinese has been a massive sinkhole financially for me. Only my ASCII buying and selling has permitted my being breakeven to modestly ahead as a domain investor.

Watching the NNNNN and the LLLLL mania with Chinese buyers is headscratching.
I get the nnnnn and LLLLL are easy to pronounce, easy to type, and easy to remember. But I remain convinced that generic names as branding engines is a universal truth no matter the language.

Some form of IDN.IDN or IDN.com itself will turn out to be a good route for chinese internet marketing. It is simply painful to conclude it has taken nearly 20 years to help Chinese users to get there.

/s
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 13th November 2015, 08:43 PM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough

Well, they get 11 shots to get one of these right. Let's hope they get it done before the eleventh rollout.

I'm curious as to why Japanese is the first on the block. It was the last of Verisign's IDNgTLDs to go through the application process, according to the 2012 lottery results.
Old 14th November 2015, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Yes, it would be interesting to find out why they decided Japanese would go first.

Could be the lack of competition. Could be the prior IDN.IDN branding a lot of Japanese websites already do.

I just hope they chose correctly, and won't screw us with premium pricing.

The weird thing is my biggest Japanese parking earner is a .net!
Old 15th November 2015, 07:18 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Yes, it would be interesting to find out why they decided Japanese would go first.

Could be the lack of competition. Could be the prior IDN.IDN branding a lot of Japanese websites already do.

I just hope they chose correctly, and won't screw us with premium pricing.

The weird thing is my biggest Japanese parking earner is a .net!
Weird. Me too!
Old 15th November 2015, 05:10 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
I have also inquired name.com if they will be participating in Verisign's priority access program. Will update when I hear back from them. If anyone else already has the info, please share.

Thanks!
Just heard back from name.com on their plan to participate in the Priority Access Program. Here is their response:

"Hello,

Thank you for your email! At this time, we are evaluating this release and are making an effort to be able to offer that matching, however we don't have the technical details from Verisign yet so we can't guarantee that it will be supported.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist!

Regards,

Jacob Eustice"

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 15th November 2015 at 05:11 PM..
Old 16th November 2015, 01:59 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Yikes! Mass exodus to Dynadot in 3... 2...
Old 16th November 2015, 08:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Yikes! Mass exodus to Dynadot in 3... 2...
That happened years ago. Never liked the interface at Name.com, so instead of migrating there I went to Dynadot. Never regretted it for a moment.

Seem to remember they got expensive as well.
Old 16th November 2015, 02:05 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

They were purchased by Rightside, who has their own nGTLDs (but no IDNs). Maybe that's why they're "evaluating"
Old 16th November 2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
They were purchased by Rightside, who has their own nGTLDs (but no IDNs). Maybe that's why they're "evaluating"
Name.com would no doubt lose a lot of IDN business to Dynadot if they don't participate in Verisign Priority Access program. They are probably #1 or #2 in terms of the number of IDN registrations. As they said they are "making an effort to be able to offer that matching" I think they will come through so as not to lose a substantial part of their business. Perhaps they just wanted to be cautious by saying that there is no guarantee they will be able to as they have yet to receive technical details from Verisign.

As far as pricing is concerned, I find them to be the most competitive if you negotiate with them. I also find their interface pretty good since they merged with domainsite.com a while ago.

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 16th November 2015 at 05:04 PM..
Old 17th November 2015, 10:37 PM

From 101domain.com:

Quote:
Yes, we will be participating in the Priority Access Phase for this extension. We plan to start taking orders for this extension within the near future. For any further information regarding .xn--tckwe, please visit the below URL.

https://www.101domain.com/%E3%82%B3%E3%83%A0.htm

Kind Regards,
Domain Support
Old 18th November 2015, 02:46 AM

Emil is an unknown quantity at this point

So how does one find out about the timing of this? Will registrar like Moniker contact us or i will have to reach out to them?
Old 18th November 2015, 04:42 AM

NameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enoughNameYourself will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
So how does one find out about the timing of this? Will registrar like Moniker contact us or i will have to reach out to them?
Lol, expecting Moniker to go the extra mile and reach out to its customers would involve planning and foresight on their part.. when we've seen in the past they have enough trouble just responding to their inbound customer complaints. I would email or call them.
Old 18th November 2015, 07:32 AM
Veteran

Yes, you can kind of see why Verisign were struggling.