IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > New gTLDs

New gTLDs IDN or ascii, use this forum to discuss the new gTLDs

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 01:00 AM
idnowner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 744
iTrader: (3)
Rep Power: 1219
idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough
.コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

First time I saw .コム priced

https://www.101domain.com/japanese_idn_domains.htm

Clicking a little further, the price is "Starting at 13.99 USD"

WHAT THE F! ... "STARTING" at $13.99 !?!?!?!

WHAT THE F#$@ DOES THAT MEAN... SHITTYDOMAIN.コム IS $13.99.

OTHERS HIGHER???

SUCH CLARITY REALLY PISSES ME OFF.

AND BY THE WAY, WHAT DOMAINS ARE RESTRICTED, NOT ALLOWED OR UNREGISTERABLE? (OTHER THAN TRADEMARK NAMES)
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 02:29 AM
monkmonkey's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Where bananas are plentiful
Posts: 707
iTrader: (11)
Rep Power: 541
monkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished road
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

"Starting at" relates to trademark holders.... General population is flat 13.99 starting May 2,2016

*All launch dates and pricing are tentative and subject to change
__________________
"Lots of men have tried to run roughshod over me you can visit them in the cemetery!"- JR Ewing
"Revenge is the single most satisfying feeling in the world!"- JR Ewing
"A conscience is like a boat or a car. If you feel you need one, rent it."- JR Ewing
"I love it when a plan comes together"John "Hannibal" Smith
"The only person who could take down J.R was J.R." -John Ross

"Larry Hagman is now God"- Me

Last edited by monkmonkey; 16th December 2015 at 02:36 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 02:43 AM
idnowner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 744
iTrader: (3)
Rep Power: 1219
idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkmonkey View Post
"Starting at" relates to trademark holders.... General population is flat 13.99 starting May 2,2016

*All launch dates and pricing are tentative and subject to change
Yes, but under the "Priority Access Program," it's got "Starting at 13.99 USD"

Anyway, besides the frustration for wanting to know what my price will be, if there will be premium prices, and if any of my domains will not be allowed, it appears, at least, that 101domain.com has the most information and may be the most qualified (of participating registrars in the US).

So, I'm still not confident that I will know the pricing and restrictions until February.

Last edited by idnowner; 16th December 2015 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: rewording
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 03:10 AM
monkmonkey's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Where bananas are plentiful
Posts: 707
iTrader: (11)
Rep Power: 541
monkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished road
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner View Post
Yes, but under the "Priority Access Program," it's got "Starting at 13.99 USD"

Anyway, besides the frustration for wanting to know what my price will be, if there will be premium prices, and if any of my domains will not be allowed, it appears, at least, that 101domain.com has the most information and may be the most qualified (of participating registrars in the US).

So, I'm still not confident that I will know the pricing and restrictions until February.
I understand what you're saying now. I saw this... "Domains will be awarded on a first come first served (FCFS) basis. Certain names may be reserved or considered premium names." Looks like the bastards want to get greedy. It's still early as it's the first pricing found so hopefully enough people bitch about it cause it's not right if that's their plan.
__________________
"Lots of men have tried to run roughshod over me you can visit them in the cemetery!"- JR Ewing
"Revenge is the single most satisfying feeling in the world!"- JR Ewing
"A conscience is like a boat or a car. If you feel you need one, rent it."- JR Ewing
"I love it when a plan comes together"John "Hannibal" Smith
"The only person who could take down J.R was J.R." -John Ross

"Larry Hagman is now God"- Me
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 03:39 AM
idnowner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 744
iTrader: (3)
Rep Power: 1219
idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkmonkey View Post
I understand what you're saying now. I saw this... "Domains will be awarded on a first come first served (FCFS) basis. Certain names may be reserved or considered premium names." Looks like the bastards want to get greedy. It's still early as it's the first pricing found so hopefully enough people bitch about it cause it's not right if that's their plan.
BTW... It seems like 101domain.com is a piece of dog shit.

I went to 101domain.com to test out a transfer to them, from Enom.

After setting up a new account, I submitted a domain to transfer in. I was prompted to enter the authorization code, which I did.

Then I went to the shopping cart. It displayed the domain correctly at the top. It displayed the price for the transfer. And it had a big yellow "Continue" button, which I clicked.

It then refreshed the page, with the same shit on it.

I pressed "Continue" another couple of times, but it just kept going nowhere. Just displaying the cart info... with a "Continue" button that works like some 4th grade moron wrote the interface.

ANYWAY... is there a decent registrar, that actually works properly, based in the United States, that will be participating in the "Priority Access Program" for Japanese .com IDNs?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 06:05 AM
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Where angels fear to tread
Posts: 1,303
iTrader: (23)
Rep Power: 1690
Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner View Post
is there a decent registrar, that actually works properly, based in the United States, that will be participating in the "Priority Access Program" for Japanese .com IDNs?
Can't go wrong with Dynadot. Use the code 'transferin' for $8.39 .com transfers (this month only).
__________________
________________________________________________________________

IDN.enterprises - buying, selling, brokering IDNs

Last edited by Jay; 16th December 2015 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 06:38 AM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4504
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

It is not what the registrars want to charge that matters.

It is what the registry charges the registrars that matters. Competition will deal with the rest.

The Muppets probably think they are going to be able to make 150% margin. And maybe they can on existing registrants who won't move their portfolio.

I suspect that Verisign might pitch that up a bit and then offer an initial discount. Doing it that way makes it easier to increase prices later.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 01:41 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,864
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2196
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

They should charge $1- $2 to match the existing .com wtih the new .com/netgTLD ....and kick start the market in a HUGE way for existing idn.com/.netholders, and ascii.com and net holders that want in on the new gtlds. The work the prices up over the next 5 + years. That give them potential of tens of millions of registrations over the next few years, or as it stands it very well could be a relegated to the same slow start as most of the other new gtlds.

If you have to buy the .com and .gldCOM for even $8.75 each, that's $ 17.50 and there will not be much uptake from the general public IMO.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 16th December 2015 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 02:25 PM
idnowner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 744
iTrader: (3)
Rep Power: 1219
idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Can't go wrong with Dynadot. Use the code 'transferin' for $8.39 .com transfers (this month only).
Hey Jay... do you use Dynadot? I try to avoid sites where the user interface looks like a bunch of 3rd grade monkeys programmed some of the interface. Such as when you click on IDNs, you get a page of DOZENS or more gTLDs with check boxes for each, with the IDN TLDs mixed in.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 03:02 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4504
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
They should charge $1- $2 to match the existing .com wtih the new .com/netgTLD ....and kick start the market in a HUGE way for existing idn.com/.netholders, and ascii.com and net holders that want in on the new gtlds. The work the prices up over the next 5 + years. That give them potential of tens of millions of registrations over the next few years, or as it stands it very well could be a relegated to the same slow start as most of the other new gtlds.

If you have to buy the .com and .gldCOM for even $8.75 each, that's $ 17.50 and there will not be much uptake from the general public IMO.
But then I would book a straight Ten Years and they would be out of pocket.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 03:09 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4504
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner View Post
Hey Jay... do you use Dynadot? I try to avoid sites where the user interface looks like a bunch of 3rd grade monkeys programmed some of the interface. Such as when you click on IDNs, you get a page of DOZENS or more gTLDs with check boxes for each, with the IDN TLDs mixed in.
Yeah, but some of it very good and getting better.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 03:11 PM
squirrel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,940
iTrader: (11)
Rep Power: 7077
squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner View Post
Hey Jay... do you use Dynadot? I try to avoid sites where the user interface looks like a bunch of 3rd grade monkeys programmed some of the interface. Such as when you click on IDNs, you get a page of DOZENS or more gTLDs with check boxes for each, with the IDN TLDs mixed in.
Most of us use dynadot or name.com I believe.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 04:09 PM
TrafficDomainer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,070
iTrader: (10)
Rep Power: 814
TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
They should charge $1- $2 to match the existing .com wtih the new .com/netgTLD ....and kick start the market in a HUGE way for existing idn.com/.netholders, and ascii.com and net holders that want in on the new gtlds. The work the prices up over the next 5 + years. That give them potential of tens of millions of registrations over the next few years, or as it stands it very well could be a relegated to the same slow start as most of the other new gtlds.

If you have to buy the .com and .gldCOM for even $8.75 each, that's $ 17.50 and there will not be much uptake from the general public IMO.
I would say, at least for the first year if not perpetually, they should give corresponding idn.idn domains to existing registrants free of charge as we continue to pay for regular idn.com renewals. That is a win win for them and us I believe. They will have higher uptake and momentum to build their IDN business. As said it quite a few times, I really think the THNIC model at no charge will ensure minimization of the domain split. If they charge anything they may not win against idn.th and may be shooting themselves (imho) in the foot at least for the Thai domain space.

By the way Bill, any word from Name.com if they will surely participate in priority access? Just don't want the hassle to move to Dynadot if not necessary. But if I have to , I will.

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 16th December 2015 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 06:15 PM
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Where angels fear to tread
Posts: 1,303
iTrader: (23)
Rep Power: 1690
Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner View Post
Hey Jay... do you use Dynadot? I try to avoid sites where the user interface looks like a bunch of 3rd grade monkeys programmed some of the interface. Such as when you click on IDNs, you get a page of DOZENS or more gTLDs with check boxes for each, with the IDN TLDs mixed in.
Dynadot are top rate IMO. The user panel is intuitive and the info is centralized. Plus unlike some others they don't do dodgy things like default to auto renew and deliberately hide their transfer codes. Prices are competitive. I can't fault them - never had any problems with Dynadot.
__________________
________________________________________________________________

IDN.enterprises - buying, selling, brokering IDNs
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 06:35 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,864
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2196
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
I would say, at least for the first year if not perpetually, they should give corresponding idn.idn domains to existing registrants free of charge as we continue to pay for regular idn.com renewals. That is a win win for them and us I believe. They will have higher uptake and momentum to build their IDN business. As said it quite a few times, I really think the THNIC model at no charge will ensure minimization of the domain split. If they charge anything they may not win against idn.th and may be shooting themselves (imho) in the foot at least for the Thai domain space.

By the way Bill, any word from Name.com if they will surely participate in priority access? Just don't want the hassle to move to Dynadot if not necessary. But if I have to , I will.
Name.com says there definitely onboard, just waiting for the technical data.
I have quite a few names there too, so hoping I don't have to move them either.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 16th December 2015, 06:37 PM
idnowner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 744
iTrader: (3)
Rep Power: 1219
idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Dynadot are top rate IMO. The user panel is intuitive and the info is centralized. Plus unlike some others they don't do dodgy things like default to auto renew and deliberately hide their transfer codes. Prices are competitive. I can't fault them - never had any problems with Dynadot.
Thanks for the info Jay. It just seemed how Dynadot displays domains and IDNs, it seems a little unorganized. I was ready last night to transfer to 101domain.com, but I couldn't get past the shopping cart, where I was trapped with only one option, to Continue, but got caught in their hamster wheel, which went round and round (the Continue button, just kept re-displaying the same shopping cart page, with no way out).
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 17th December 2015, 12:59 AM
idnowner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 744
iTrader: (3)
Rep Power: 1219
idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

BTW...

Can someone please tell me where, on Dynadot's website, do they provide info about the Japanese.com IDNs and the Priority Access Period?

I know I a bit slow on the uptake here, but I could not find it.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 17th December 2015, 09:56 AM
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Where angels fear to tread
Posts: 1,303
iTrader: (23)
Rep Power: 1690
Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner View Post
Can someone please tell me where, on Dynadot's website, do they provide info about the Japanese.com IDNs and the Priority Access Period?
Here.

Also, you can use code IDNDOTCOM for $5.99 registrations this month.
__________________
________________________________________________________________

IDN.enterprises - buying, selling, brokering IDNs

Last edited by Jay; 17th December 2015 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 17th December 2015, 11:31 AM
Semi-retired
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,531
iTrader: (57)
Rep Power: 3435
alpha has disabled reputation
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner View Post
Thanks for the info Jay. It just seemed how Dynadot displays domains and IDNs, it seems a little unorganized. I was ready last night to transfer to 101domain.com, but I couldn't get past the shopping cart, where I was trapped with only one option, to Continue, but got caught in their hamster wheel, which went round and round (the Continue button, just kept re-displaying the same shopping cart page, with no way out).
I wouldn't transfer anything yet. The last thing you want is to be locked in for the mandatory period after transfer. Wait until prices are confirmed. 101 are just guessing prices, it's just bait right now. And for the record you'd have to pay me to transfer to those clowns.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 17th December 2015, 11:53 AM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4504
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: .コム Domain Registration Fee: $13.99 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
I wouldn't transfer anything yet. The last thing you want is to be locked in for the mandatory period after transfer. Wait until prices are confirmed. 101 are just guessing prices, it's just bait right now. And for the record you'd have to pay me to transfer to those clowns.
Ditto
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:48 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54