IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2006, 02:46 PM

Ben has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura about
Red face Are we killing IDNs?

Currently, most IDNs are held by domainers and thrus most of them are parked. Does having such a high ratio of parked IDNs compared with developed ones hurt the long term value of IDNs?

People (including possible end-users) might start to associate IDNs with spammy unprofessional sites.

What do you think?

Last edited by Ben; 4th June 2006 at 02:55 PM..
Old 4th June 2006, 03:10 PM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21
Re: Are we killing IDNs?

i kind of was thinking somthing similar sort of like .eu with out true development they will not take off IMO .even though in naitive languages are appealing i think soon enough .com will be associated with spammy if not all idns.
Old 4th June 2006, 03:12 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
Currently, most IDNs are held by domainers and thrus most of them are parked. Does having such a high ratio of parked IDNs compared with developed ones hurt the long term value of IDNs?

People (including possible end-users) might start to associate IDNs with spammy unprofessional sites.

What do you think?
Parked/PPC generic-word IDN sites should actually raise awareness and help promote the use of company and product name IDNs. And vice versa.

Also, once businesses get established, using IDNs, many of them will hope to acquire the generic descriptions of their products and services, and the industries they represent, in order to capture all those pesky type-in customers.

Last edited by idnowner; 4th June 2006 at 03:17 PM..
Old 4th June 2006, 04:23 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Finding the information you're looking for when typing in a name is not spam, wether it's paid search results or not.

Finding a blank page, or worse, not being able to arrive at a page would hurt IDNs, imo.
Old 4th June 2006, 05:12 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

In many cases, IDN owners are native speakers of the language and are developing.
Old 4th June 2006, 05:22 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

well i can tell you that as of yet, i haven't developed anything.

but if idn.idn goes the right way, then yes i will invest more cash into my premium names and develop them - as this is the right way, anything less would be a waste.

if idn.idn goes the other way, then i'll stick them all on ebay for 99c buy it now. :p
Old 4th June 2006, 05:50 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
if idn.idn goes the other way, then i'll stick them all on ebay for 99c buy it now. :p
Good to know. I'll prepare my 98c buy it now (free shipping) auction just in case.
Old 4th June 2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Why don't you hedge your bets?

I'll buy half of your IDN domains right now at 99 cents each.

Send me the portfolio and I'll pick which half.
Old 4th June 2006, 07:16 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale

I think the :p was a indication that you are joking ? But just incase there is some truth in that statment , With the right people working the SEO for you or not even that far just getting your sites Indexed they will recieve traffic , pay for themselves and make a profit. I have said it before and will say it again IDN.com vs English.com To a NON-English Speaker .... Unanimous Decision IDN.com
Old 4th June 2006, 07:16 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Why don't you hedge your bets?

I'll buy half of your IDN domains right now at 99 cents each.

Send me the portfolio and I'll pick which half.

Ok, looks like we got an auction now, i'll offer 1 cents more - $1. :p
Old 4th June 2006, 07:20 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Nah, you're underestimating end-users.

They'll get creative and pick up domains to use like 'supersofas.com' instead of 'sofas', which will only drive more traffic to our more generic domains.

$1.01
Old 4th June 2006, 07:29 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben

What do you think?
You're 100% right. The best way we should do now is delete all our IDNs and let business end users develope their sites first, we will start registering our IDNs again when busines IDN sites are popular, so that we can keep the long term value of our IDNs.

Strange! Why couldn't I think of such easy solution before?!

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 4th June 2006, 07:29 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

¥100
Old 4th June 2006, 07:32 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
Nah, you're underestimating end-users.

They'll get creative and pick up domains to use like 'supersofas.com' instead of 'sofas', which will only drive more traffic to our more generic domains.

$1.01

Yes, this only means that our traffic will increase more than just IE7 factor alone.

My offer: Always 1 cent more than Sal (i reserve the right to backout). :o
Old 4th June 2006, 07:50 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Most Companies are named after their owners, and most domains are just taken from the Company Name. It is only when firms are being driven out of business by more switched on opposition do they even understand the concept of Generic. Don't worry about companies registering IDN, most won't even miss the generic domains until they are really value, and then they will just bitch and moan like all the no hoper me too ASCII domainers will.