IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th August 2016, 07:20 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
IDNs are dead

They haven't really picked up since 8 years ago, have they? We had the dream, but turned out to be more like a RB pump and dump scheme. Good thing I sold al-ittihad et. al. for a load of cash before I let the rest of them drop.

Or, what do you think? Is it still alive?
Old 25th August 2016, 08:22 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: IDNs are dead

Funny thing is I am now seeing real world use of Czech IDN.EU.

Whats more they are characterising the down arrow as a Heart.
Old 25th August 2016, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Ask again in a couple of years.

Not quite time to switch off the resuscitator.
Old 26th August 2016, 01:50 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Had over 500, now down to about 40,sold quite a few but dropped most.
Old 26th August 2016, 01:52 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Maybe as the ngtld revolution grinds to a halt and renewals go in to free fall the market may look for alternatives, IDN may yet get traction.
Old 26th August 2016, 05:10 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Traffic has grown to a good amount. I definitely don't consider them dead... at any moment I can develop even an ASCII site and I'd have a nice flow of traffic immediately. PPC has died but the traffic has been pretty solid.
Old 26th August 2016, 04:58 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200 View Post
PPC has died but the traffic has been pretty solid.
Same, which means the fundamentals for their success are there. What hasn't happened is recognition of that by end-users and wealthy domainers, which means that there is no healthy aftermarket. Combined with low PPC, it has made for a shaky investment, which has not produced dividends, with no guarantee it ever will. But then again, that recognition could come in an instant.

Also, few of us have seriously explored the development option, which might hold potential.

IDN.enterprises - buying, selling, brokering IDNs

Last edited by Jay; 26th August 2016 at 04:59 PM..
Old 26th August 2016, 07:55 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Same, which means the fundamentals for their success are there. What hasn't happened is recognition of that by end-users and wealthy domainers, which means that there is no healthy aftermarket. Combined with low PPC, it has made for a shaky investment, which has not produced dividends, with no guarantee it ever will. But then again, that recognition could come in an instant.

Also, few of us have seriously explored the development option, which might hold potential.
And that was the LOL moment
Old 27th August 2016, 10:33 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm View Post
They haven't really picked up since 8 years ago, have they? We had the dream, but turned out to be more like a RB pump and dump scheme. Good thing I sold al-ittihad et. al. for a load of cash before I let the rest of them drop.

Or, what do you think? Is it still alive?
They've been dead for well over five years, Michael. They were in bad need of life support in '08 and never got it.

But when old faces come crawling back in here that know their potential (your alleged "load of cash"), it begs the question: what's the point of your inquiry? To come back here and kick the dirt into our wounds? To drive an already dead market deeper into the abyss?

So, yeah, as long as the old tire-kickers like yourself come along to inquire about our jalopies there may yet be hope for them.

At this point, I fear the biggest risk is political, and it's becoming more significant every quarter: populist, protectionist and nationalist trends are overtaking the global capitalist expansion that defined the last thirty years. Free trade agreements may soon give way to tariffs and embargoes. Until then, I have hope.

Last edited by clipper; 27th August 2016 at 10:35 AM..
Old 27th August 2016, 11:13 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
And that was the LOL moment
Well at least it's been a fun (but expensive) hobby.

Old 1st September 2016, 11:49 AM

IDN Domains is an unknown quantity at this point

1. IDN as .com transliteration is most likely to not be THE THING. .コム just proved it.
2. IDN's are here to stay, but in a different way - in ccTLD IDN.IDN
3. As time passes by, ccTLDs (IDN.IDN) will gradually grow, while IDN.com transliterations will reach a certain number, but will be the second choice for each language.
4. In this scenario it will only makes sense to invest in the very best terms.
Old 1st September 2016, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDN Domains View Post
1. IDN as .com transliteration is most likely to not be THE THING. .コム just proved it.
I disagree. .コム is not a good example as Verisign are promoting it as "dot com" which the Japanese write as ドットコム

They should use 終止符 when promoting it. "Shushifu com"
Old 1st September 2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
I disagree. .コム is not a good example
I hope some will do better. Which one has the most potential?
.ком? .كوم? .คอม?

Or the just launched .닷컴?
Old 1st September 2016, 12:41 PM

123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDN Domains View Post
2. IDN's are here to stay, but in a different way - in ccTLD IDN.IDN
3. As time passes by, ccTLDs (IDN.IDN) will gradually grow, while IDN.com transliterations will reach a certain number, but will be the second choice for each language.
4. In this scenario it will only makes sense to invest in the very best terms.
if the registry hasn't reserved them.

.닷컴 = dot dot com
Old 1st September 2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
if the registry hasn't reserved them.
Unfortunately for us, they do, as they have become the true domainers. Domainers, wanting to develop, as parking is close to zero, became the end users. And the end users? They still have no clue...
Old 14th September 2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper View Post
But when old faces come crawling back in here that know their potential (your alleged "load of cash"), it begs the question: what's the point of your inquiry? To come back here and kick the dirt into our wounds? To drive an already dead market deeper into the abyss?ariffs and embargoes. Until then, I have hope.
No intention to come back and kick dirt; I was in prison for the past several years for heinous crimes against humanity. That's why I let everything drop and you didn't hear from me for a longish time.
Old 16th September 2016, 08:54 AM

blackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enough

jacksonm, I always suspected you had criminal tendencies
As far as idn being dead-Portuguese are doing well; I am very happy with the progress and with the end of leftists in Brazil, there is hope that the economy in Latin America picks up.
The problem all along was the assumption that .com is King- and this has proven to be false for countries where .com was not already the prime choice (like in Brazil).
Also Russians .com has proven to be a disaster imho.... I has never had many russian domains, because I always new what kind of a country Russia was.

Last edited by blackpower; 16th September 2016 at 09:03 AM..
Old 17th September 2016, 08:18 AM

mxfusion is on a distinguished roadmxfusion is on a distinguished roadmxfusion is on a distinguished roadmxfusion is on a distinguished roadmxfusion is on a distinguished roadmxfusion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Ask again in a couple of years.

Not quite time to switch off the resuscitator.

Agree. In the meantime, I'm getting nearly 3x my renewal fees from parking. 80% from Japanese and Arabics.
Old 17th September 2016, 10:31 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
No intention to come back and kick dirt; I was in prison for the past several years for heinous crimes against humanity. That's why I let everything drop and you didn't hear from me for a longish time.
Oh, thank God, I thought you'd been abducted by billionaire rabbits and we'd have to pluck you out of their paws with our measly vulture beaks.
Old 18th September 2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpower View Post
As far as idn being dead-Portuguese are doing well
My two biggest revenue generators now are Portuguese, so go figure.