IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2017, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: IDN Status update for 2017

Ah. So maybe they're waiting to see what the renewal rates on .コム are, before they launch any more? Does that make sense?
Old 14th February 2017, 03:42 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Ah. So maybe they're waiting to see what the renewal rates on .コム are, before they launch any more? Does that make sense?
I think so.

IDN.enterprises - buying, selling, brokering IDNs
Old 14th February 2017, 09:57 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I think so.

I agree that Japanese data is likely to be more pertinent for them than the Korean.

Accurate transliteration counts for something.

So maybe the Russian, Hindi and Arabic might have 2017 windows.
Old 16th February 2017, 11:23 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
I agree that Japanese data is likely to be more pertinent for them than the Korean.

Accurate transliteration counts for something.

So maybe the Russian, Hindi and Arabic might have 2017 windows.
I don't think they care much about the inaccuracy in translation. They have their products and they're stuck with them.

Much more important would be the number of renewals at regular price after initial registrations were offered at a discount (Korea offered .net + .com at one price, while Onamae had Japanese .com at >$1).

Their renewal data on Japanese will start rolling in June (general availability at one year), so if we see another launch by September, I'd say we're lucky.
Old 16th February 2017, 11:29 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough

I think the most troubling part of the conference call was the fact that the analysts didn't even know to ask the right question, or when the renewal dates were. It's the analysts' job to hold the executives' feet to the fire. In the case of IDNs, they have no idea and don't care.

It's just another far-flung potential revenue stream that will not likely impact revenue going forward. It would've been nice to get a bone thrown in terms of cost/benefit over the short term, which is what those guys are really good at.