IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2017, 10:49 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road
Are you renewing your コムs?

I am dropping most of them. If anyone wants to have them, pm me. You could have them for like $35 a name. They include names like prefecture.コム but not largest ones.

Last edited by Ryu; 13th March 2017 at 01:13 PM..
Old 13th March 2017, 03:41 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: Are you renewing your コムs?

Are you keeping the .coms ? Pm me if you'd like.

Cheers
JS
Old 14th March 2017, 01:10 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

You mean you are dropping .coms also? I dropped a lot of coms last year but this year I am keeping most of them.

Last edited by Ryu; 14th March 2017 at 01:11 AM..
Old 14th March 2017, 02:29 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Jesus. If anything signals .コム failure, this is it.

I think the #1 cause of the problem is the browser manufacturers all defaulting to opening a google search page and hijacking the URL bar with search as well, and pocketing their 40 pieces of sliver from Google.

If ICANN and Verisign hadn't completely bungled the new IDN launch process, they may have managed to get some traction before the browser hijack.

It's probably too late to go back now. The Internet has been permanently dumbed down. The default settings for Safari in OSX don't show the full URL in the URL bar anymore, just the hostname, and there's no status bar telling you what you've about to click on by hovering over a link.

I think the only way out of this mess would be for Verisign (or the domain registrars as a whole) to organise production of a browser that brings domains back as the focal point instead of search. Good luck with that pipedream, I say.
Old 15th March 2017, 02:41 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
You mean you are dropping .coms also? I dropped a lot of coms last year but this year I am keeping most of them.

I actually didn't think you registered any コム. Handful?
Old 16th March 2017, 01:03 AM

I didn't get any premium ones but registered about a dozen non-premium. It turned out that was still too many.
Old 16th March 2017, 02:21 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Registered just 2 and that is how many will be dropped, but then I am doing this across the board, at least drastic cutting back.
Old 16th March 2017, 07:06 AM
Premium User

Kent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enough

Dropping about 18, keeping three, which I paid premiums for.

Last edited by Kent99; 16th March 2017 at 07:10 AM..
Old 16th March 2017, 11:38 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Registered 200.
Renewed most of those I paid premium for a second year, so no decision to make.
Have earmarked 60 for drop this year, and there will be more.
Old 17th March 2017, 03:22 AM
Premium User

Kent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enough

I think it is safe to say .コム's will have a poor renewal rate.
Old 18th March 2017, 01:20 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Yes. What is that going to mean for Verisign's other launches?
Old 18th March 2017, 02:04 AM

I am starting to think if I should drop every single one of my コムs. It's hard to imagine how they could turn profit in the future no matter how good keywords they have.
Old 18th March 2017, 10:02 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

Ryu,

Have any major brands used .コム urls in billboards or TV ads for campaigns at all ?
Not for corporate sites, but for products or PR etc ?
thanks.
s/
Old 18th March 2017, 11:14 AM

Not that I know of. As a matter of fact, I don't remember seeing .コム ever whilst I was browsing the web.

And the first hit I get when I google xn--tckwe is a yahoo Q&A thread where a question asks:

"I get a spam email of which body content just says ○○○○@exn3yhkzwd.xn--tckwe. I guess I shouldn't click it, should I?"

The answer given is:

"That's a lazy spam. If you click the URL, your email address will be stolen."