IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th August 2018, 07:54 PM

abe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished road
Re: Hanging in there?

I hate to break it to you but expect lots of "funny" things...

In addition, I do know that they will probably charge very premium prices for some of the names.

I also think that in general IDN's are.. dead

The best of Japanese IDN.コム dont get any inquires.
The best of Israeli hebrew .co.il dont get any interest. Israeli's barely use domains. They use FB.

The best of Chinese IDN ccTLD's and the best of their .com (in Chinese-not Verisign's junk extension which didnt launch yet) get 0 interest.

Idn's are pretty much gone at this stage, and regular domains at this stage except really premium are also not doing well..

Just my 2 cents... others seem to think differently.
Old 25th August 2018, 08:19 PM

blackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enoughblackpower will become famous soon enough

One of the biggest mistakes in the early idn days was that catchy phrase: ".com is King".
Yes it is but not for all markets...
.com is king where they use .com;

For the market I concentrate on, Brazil/Portuguese, .com is king in Brazil because .com is just a shorter version of com.br, the local extention;
Also, Portuguese ids are full idns already- this is a huge difference.
I started website on idn (in my signature) and it is behaving fantastic as far as SEO, ranking and potential.
I have some problems with software I use but this should be fixed this year and have plans to add two more sites on idn domains.
As far as markets like russian: .com is virtually unknown (I have said this before but nobody listened); However a good domain is still a good domain;
I keep only two big commercial russian domains that I may put sites on later sometime when we have .ком.
Not long ago a good chinese .com was sold (travel).
So, yes, people have registered a lot of crap expecting idns behave like .coms in the States; It did not happened but let's separate apples from oranges;
I million idn .com are still registered;

Last edited by blackpower; 25th August 2018 at 08:39 PM..
Old 27th August 2018, 03:44 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe View Post
I hate to break it to you but expect lots of "funny" things...

In addition, I do know that they will probably charge very premium prices for some of the names.

I also think that in general IDN's are.. dead

The best of Japanese IDN.コム dont get any inquires.
The best of Israeli hebrew .co.il dont get any interest. Israeli's barely use domains. They use FB.

The best of Chinese IDN ccTLD's and the best of their .com (in Chinese-not Verisign's junk extension which didnt launch yet) get 0 interest.

Idn's are pretty much gone at this stage, and regular domains at this stage except really premium are also not doing well..

Just my 2 cents... others seem to think differently.
IDNs might be dead but traffic is still there. Use them to guide traffic to whatever is "alive"
Old 27th August 2018, 06:26 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200 View Post
IDNs might be dead but traffic is still there. Use them to guide traffic to whatever is "alive"
Whether you like him or not, the guy has probably been more right than wrong and made a lot of money in this business. He never bought into IDNs but he makes his case for the future of domains.

From RicksBlog.com

They Made Domains Great Again!! Thank you Google, Facebook, Apple and Twitter!

Morning Folks!!

Want to be in charge of your own destiny on the Internet? There is only ONE WAY to accomplish that. It starts with EVERYTHING revolving around your Domain Name. EVERYTHING!! I mean that IS your front door is it not?

Many of us have been talking about how big a mistake it is TRUSTING these 3rd parties with your content and with your future since Day 1. Now the world knows why.

So with the recent bannings and the fact that third parties control YOUR destiny has finally woken people up inquiries are going thru the roof. This was something I could see coming and my first post when I started to blog again may make a little more sense now. My shortest post ever:

The Life, The Death and The Rebirth of the Industry of Domains.

"Coming this summer."
Welcome to the rebirth! 8-8-18. Mark it on your calendar.

Sorry, but free speech is free speech and as we burn the books and words we don't like it sure reminds me of another time. I thought that was a lesson learned. I guess not.

But be that as it may, it is GREAT, for domain names. It is great for those that invested wisely in domains. It will also be a tough lesson for those on the sidelines trying to sell worthless crap.

Google, Facebook, Apple, and Twitter have "Re-Birthed" domain names. It won't do crappola for the "Domain Industry" but it is doing wonders for solid and in demand domains.

These events will challenge EVERY brand and entity to rethink their social online strategy. While first contact may be made on social media, follow up contact should be done within the confines of their own website. It is a HUGE business mistake to allow these third parties such control of your business and lives.

If you are opening an online business and you dependent on Google for your traffic, GOOD LUCK!! Google traffic is a BONUS. Your job is to use all other sources FIRST! If Facebook or Twitter is where you conduct customer service, it's FOOLISH at best! Their #1 job is to transition them off of these platforms and to their website!

These 3rd parties are TOOLS, they are not FOUNDATIONS! The domain name is the ONLY foundation you can control on the Internet.

This is a tough lesson that MILLIONS of businesses around the world are learning TODAY! It will take a while to manifest itself further. Many board meeting will be setting new agendas and that is ripe with the fall business boom!

The "Masters of the Universe" are they YOUR master? Do they control YOUR destiny? They do and will if you allow them. Unfortunately millions of businesses have been blind to it. But they are blind no more. They are TERRIFIED! As they should be.

GAME ON!

Rick Schwartz
Old 28th August 2018, 12:03 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

Rick never disparaged ASCII foreign language domains
In an email exchange 8 or 9 years ago, he said when idn.idn email addresses work is when IDN's as a market would be global and viable.