IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th September 2021, 02:17 PM

gregg is an unknown quantity at this point
Emoji Domains - such as ☃️.com

Seems that Emoji domains may be "useful" now going into the future.

They are now easy to plug into the URL, with (for example) Chrome's "emoji picker" feature, and in Safari - however, since the Emojis seem to display the punycode in the browser bar (currently) - they seem to be a great way to redirect people to a main site related to the Emoji - for example, the Snowman could redirect to a Weather site, or maybe a Ski Resort, etc.

The question I have now is - will DOT-COM Emoji domains be opened up to the public, like the other extensions offer, such as .to, .ws and .fm?

It seems to me (correct me if you disagree) that the time is coming for IDNs and Emoji domains.

Interesting that someone now is promoting Emoji domains on top of y.at domains - which they are calling "Yats" or "Y.ats"

GOOGLE SEARCH for yats emojis:

Yat
https://y.at
Be an icon. Yats are emoji usernames that become your universal Internet identity website URL payment address and more.

But - strange - Emojis based on top of a single-letter AUSTRIAN domain!?!?

One post that talks about them:

https://morganlinton.com/a-bunch-of-...d-im-confused/

And then there's this:

So far, people have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars buying Yats. A Yat comprising a single key sold for over $400,000, according to trade publication The Defiant. Celebrities are piling in, with Ke$ha and Questlove using Yats on their Twitter profiles.

LINK:
https://www.businessofbusiness.com/a...in-NFT-wallet/

Seems a celebrity Kesha (or Ke$ha) is using: .y.at, which goes to:
"Kesha's World" ... but not as a third-level domain but to
https://y.at/[RAINBOW][ROCKET][ALIEN] (a sub-directory of y.at).

MY COMMENTS:

I don't think these so called "Y.ats" are very desirable, but WTF! They are selling for $200,000+ ???

So, once again, I say "W T F ! ? ! ?"

Last edited by gregg; 13th September 2021 at 02:18 PM..
Old 27th September 2021, 01:24 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough
Re: Emoji Domains - such as ☃️.com

Interesting question!

Here is Wikipedia's article on Emoji domains:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji_domain

And here is a pdf from the ICANN Security and Stability Advisory Committee, dated 2017, recommending AGAINST allowing emoji domains:
https://www.icann.org/en/system/file...sac-095-en.pdf

One reason: it is difficult to distinguish between emojis (there 20 different smiley-face emojis for instance), so it is easy for users to be tricked into going to the wrong domain.

Thus it is unlikely that generic top-level domains (.com, .xyz, etc) will be given permission by ICANN to allow emoji domains anytime soon.

Since ICANN has less control over country-code domains (.ws, .kz, etc), some of these countries have chosen to allow emoji domains despite ICANN's recommendations.

Here, for example, is an article by someone who registered 300 emoji .kz domains in March of this year:
https://tinyprojects.dev/projects/mailoji

As I understand it (though I haven't tried it), the ICANN restrictions on creating emoji domains do not prevent the creation of emoji sub-domains under any top-level domain. So the registrant of, say, example.com could presumably create sub-domains such as
Old 27th September 2021, 02:40 AM

Hi Avtal, and thank you for your reply.

I didn't see anything after your last line, "So the registrant of, say, example.com could presumably create sub-domains such as "

But - I'm guessing you meant something like: [Pizza-Slice-Emoji].example.com
Similar to how they are selling the third-level "Yats" (at y.at), such as: [EMOJIs].y.at, which supports your understanding.

I realize how CONFUSING many emojis can be, with so many different smiley faces and so many hearts. And especially the people Emojis with a range of different skin tones!

Certainly, allowing Emojis to be registered under .com is much more complex than most people might think, at first glance.

Fortunately, a few of the .com Emojis that were registered before they were restricted, are exceptionally distinctive. And I do have a little bit of an issue with my own Snowman. Because I've got "The Snowman with Snow," and there is another Snowman out there in the cold ... "without snow." So, instead of having many variations to be confused with, my Emoji domain, with the Snowman, it's either one or the other. And I think (or hope), mine (with snow) is the more popular one.

If they don't open up Emojis under .com anytime soon, I think that makes those Emoji .com domains, that were able to be registered before being restricted, super-duper extra special. Especially for a few of the distinctive Emojis that represent important things - such as the Recycling Symbol and the Cloud ... ♻️.com and ☁️.com

Thanks again Avtel!
Old 27th September 2021, 03:36 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Yikes Gregg, you are right, most of my post got cut off, probably because I included emojis (ironically).

So here it is again, with emojis replaced by [emojis]. Sorry for the repeat...

Interesting question!

Here is Wikipedia's article on Emoji domains:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji_domain

And here is a pdf from the ICANN Security and Stability Advisory Committee, dated 2017, recommending AGAINST allowing emoji domains:
https://www.icann.org/en/system/file...sac-095-en.pdf

One reason: it is difficult to distinguish between emojis (there 20 different smiley-face emojis for instance), so it is easy for users to be tricked into going to the wrong domain.

Thus it is unlikely that generic top-level domains (.com, .xyz, etc) will be given permission by ICANN to allow emoji domains anytime soon.

Since ICANN has less control over country-code domains (.ws, .kz, etc), some of these countries have chosen to allow emoji domains despite ICANN's recommendations.

Here, for example, is an article by someone who registered 300 emoji .kz domains in March of this year:
https://tinyprojects.dev/projects/mailoji

As I understand it (though I haven't tried it), the ICANN restrictions on creating emoji domains do not prevent the creation of emoji sub-domains under any top-level domain. So the registrant of, say, example.com could presumably create sub-domains such as [smiley].example.com, and try to convince people to buy them. I will not comment on the wisdom of buying (and speculating on) sub-domains underneath someone else's domain, but there's a market for everything.

Although Austria (.at) is not one of the countries that allows registration of emoji domains, it appears that the owner (technically, the "registrant") of y.at is now creating and "selling" emoji sub-domains such as [smiley].y.at. Perhaps NFTs are involved somehow; it would be fitting.

One thing I found out today is that many registrars have put their own restrictions on registering emoji domains. For instance, if you want to register a .ws emoji domain, you cannot do so at Namecheap or Dynadot. Gandi, however, appears to allow this. And Go Daddy even "allows" you to register emoji domains under top-level domains that in fact disallow them; I suppose that at the end of the registration process, after you have already handed over your personal information and your money, Go Daddy will suddenly "discover" that you can't register [smiley].com after all. [grrr]

Avtal

Last edited by Avtal; 27th September 2021 at 03:41 AM..
Old 27th September 2021, 03:37 AM

So you have an [emoji].com? Rare indeed!

Last edited by Avtal; 27th September 2021 at 03:42 AM..
Old 27th September 2021, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
So you have an [emoji].com? Rare indeed!
Yes. I've got the Emoji SNOWMAN (with snow) .com

☃️.com