IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th January 2022, 11:26 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
The Future of the Internet is India

Google, Facebook investing in India. 700 + million users mostly local language content. Just sermons that seeing an IDN.com web address in local language would catch your eye

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/...-india-future/

Number of internet users expected to increase to 900 million in next 3 years.

https://m.economictimes.com/tech/tec...w/83200683.cms

Last edited by bwhhisc; 7th January 2022 at 11:39 AM..
Old 7th January 2022, 12:00 PM
Premium User

Kent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enough
Re: The Future of the Internet is India

I looked at some old Hindi threads on the forum and found these available that were previously for sale. Are there any Hindi speakers that can tell me if they are any good?

दिवालियापन
xn--j2beftor7dced.com
Bankruptcy

छुट्टियाँ
xn--h1b5cma4f4dfn3i.com
Holidays

तमिल.com -- Tamil

बंगाली.com -- Bengali

नक्षा.com xn--11b1b6b2a3e.com map/maps hindi

लड़कियों.com Girls

Last edited by Kent99; 7th January 2022 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Adding domains
Old 8th January 2022, 08:05 PM

techguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished road

Mark my words. IDNs have no impact in India. I have been telling this since 2007. I'm a Tamil speaker. Within India, even we don't speak Hindi. Don't know the basic alphabets either. Another major factor is that, those who use Internet in India are capable of speaking/typing in English. I'm the owner of News.com in Hindi. It is a well developed website, but hardly gets traffic. To type in the addressbar, we use the romanized forms of regional languages. For example, in Hindi Samachar is the romanized form for News in Hindi. Gaadi means Cars in Hindi. Noolagam is the Tamil word for Library. People in India prefer to type the romanized forms instead of typing the actual scripts in addressbar which is much easier than switching to the respective keyboard layout. Another important thing is that we don't use regional keyboard layouts. The standard keyboard layout is the IN-English keyboard layout. Invest in Hindi IDNs only if you want to keep those names forever as collectibles. Good luck.
Old 9th January 2022, 03:15 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Appreciate your candid comment
So....i am confused on what languages are spoken in India and about the use of the Newspapers that are printed in local languages.

QUOTE: Hindi, with over 528 million native speakers was the most spoken language across Indian homes, followed by Bengali with 97 million speakers, as of 2011 census data

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...akers_in_India

We are based in the US, and one of our offshoots of our convention services business is furniture rentals for weddings.....and we do a few Indian weddings each year.
I note that the guests speak great English, but when speaking to each other they are generally not speaking English but either Hindi, Bengali or ??? is there a variation of English like "pinyin" in Chinese?

Last edited by bwhhisc; 9th January 2022 at 03:19 PM..
Old 9th January 2022, 04:09 PM

i had renewed these Hindi domains last week before this discussion got started, any opinions are welcome.
Not a native speaker so not sure they are the 'best' terms.
Just not ready to "drop" my aged Hindi.com to see them get 'snapped' up on the drop
A few of these were sold to me by native speakers on this forum circa 2006

डेटिंग.com Dating
जूते.com Shoes
गीत.com Songs
चुटकुले.com Jokes
ज्योतिष.com Astrology
मूवी.com Movie
कार्टून.com Cartoon
कारलोन.com Car Loan
होमलोन.com Home Loan
कैंसर.com Asthma
कॉलेज.com College
घड़ी.com Watch (timepiece)
शेयर.com Shares (stocks)
मधुमेह.com Diabetes
गुजरात.com Gugaret (geo)

Last edited by bwhhisc; 9th January 2022 at 05:05 PM..
Old 12th January 2022, 02:59 AM

techguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished roadtechguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
Appreciate your candid comment
So....i am confused on what languages are spoken in India and about the use of the Newspapers that are printed in local languages.

Unlike other nations, India is united by diverse cultures and thousands of years of strong linguistic history. 121 languages are spoken by 10,000 or more people.More than 19,500 languages or dialects are spoken in India as mother tongues, according to the latest analysis of a census released in 2018.

Quote:
QUOTE: Hindi, with over 528 million native speakers was the most spoken language across Indian homes, followed by Bengali with 97 million speakers, as of 2011 census data

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...akers_in_India

There is no doubt that Hindi is spoken by the majority in the Northern India, but the literacy rate in the Hindi Speaking states are critically lower than Non-Hindi speaking states.

It is all because of inequality, religious conflicts made by politicians and poverty. On top of everything, Caste system ruins the overall progression of the country.

In Southern part of India that comprises of 5 states and 2 union territories, Hindi is known to just 1% to 2% of the total population. Literacy rates in the southern states is much higher than the national average, with approximately 81% of the population capable of reading and writing. Every state in the South speaks Dravidian languages.

Politicians in the Hindi speaking states are just promoting either religious abhorrence or caste inequality and keeping the illiterate population in the Hindi speaking states under their control.

I would like to give an example, the Southern State, Tamil Nadu has the second highest GER in india, India's Mission is to reach 40% GER by 2030 whereas TN has already crossed the 51% GER. It is all because of the regional political parties that made sure in bringing the people out of below poverty line and has almost no religious conflicts. These regional parties had worked more on the education and empowerment of the students. Another similar example is the Southern state of Kerala.

Quote:
We are based in the US, and one of our offshoots of our convention services business is furniture rentals for weddings.....and we do a few Indian weddings each year.
I note that the guests speak great English, but when speaking to each other they are generally not speaking English but either Hindi, Bengali or ???
In general, Indians who use Internet are capable of reading and writing in English to a decent level.

Quote:
Is there a variation of English like "pinyin" in Chinese?
Exactly. Every script can be written using English Alphabets and the corresponding native scripts. This is the reason why IDNs haven't picked up in India.

Majority of those who speak Hindi are either illiterates or don't speak or write English. Those who can write and speak English prefer to use the English script to write in the local language in the Internet.

Quote:

i had renewed these Hindi domains last week before this discussion got started, any opinions are welcome.
Not a native speaker so not sure they are the 'best' terms.
Just not ready to "drop" my aged Hindi.com to see them get 'snapped' up on the drop
A few of these were sold to me by native speakers on this forum circa 2006

डेटिंग.com Dating
जूते.com Shoes
गीत.com Songs
चुटकुले.com Jokes
ज्योतिष.com Astrology
मूवी.com Movie
कार्टून.com Cartoon
कारलोन.com Car Loan
होमलोन.com Home Loan
कैंसर.com Asthma
कॉलेज.com College
घड़ी.com Watch (timepiece)
शेयर.com Shares (stocks)
मधुमेह.com Diabetes
गुजरात.com Gugaret (geo)

These are all good names and no doubt in it, but they are all just collectibles, just like my News.com (Hindi), IMO.