IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Sales Report

IDN Sales Report Post sales of IDN domains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2006, 07:47 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Exclamation This weeks DNJournal

Well there was not a single mention of IDN in DNJ today.

There are sales going on, but they are not being reported.

If we are not careful, IDN will fall off the radar, and people will perceive it as one of those "fads", and before we know it, we will be back to pre-東京.net times

People have very short memories.
Old 7th June 2006, 07:54 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: This weeks DNJournal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale

If we are not careful, IDN will fall off the radar, and people will perceive it as one of those "fads", and before we know it, we will be back to pre-東京.net times

Both plus and minus. For a buyer, it's mostly a plus:

1. It will lower the market price, or at least bring prices down to more sensible levels, and you can scoop up more varieties at lower price, and spread your eggs.

2. There are still good names out there you can take for $7.

3. There's no worry for luck of publicity in the near future - the launch of IE7 will create more publicity than DNJournal.
Old 7th June 2006, 07:58 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
- the launch of IE7 will create more publicity than DNJournal.
do you really believe that?

everything I've seen on M$ sites world wide so far has played down or simply not mentioned IDN.

when is the big fan-fare and fireworks display as we all expected.

i fear we may have to do a little PR ourselves.
Old 7th June 2006, 08:04 AM
Veteran

Microsoft would not talk about IDNs at the beginning because it is a security issue. They put it into only out of no choice - Firefox has it, and the Asian NICs are all pestering them to add support.

The publicity will come from Asian and European sources reporting on IE7 support for IDNs and prompting a local rush to secure their names.

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
do you really believe that?

everything I've seen on M$ sites world wide so far has played down or simply not mentioned IDN.

when is the big fan-fare and fireworks display as we all expected.

i fear we may have to do a little PR ourselves.
CNNIC and JPRS will be the marketers in their respective countries for idn.jp .cn
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It's mentioned at the end on every Japanese press release I've read..

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

After IE7, IDNs will quickly become accepted world-wide, and big sales will happen, and get reported. Things aren't so shaky that we have to rely on one website, however good it is. DNJournal.com wasn't even born when business.com was sold for $7.5 million. Sales don't happen because of one website, they happen because of market demands.

Like touchring, I also don't like the idea of the hype getting ahead of reality. Just because a few domains are bought for a few thousand dollars, doesn't mean that all domains should be priced that way. The lack of sales for names asking X,XXX proves that.
Old 7th June 2006, 08:12 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
After IE7, IDNs will quickly become accepted world-wide, and big sales will happen, and get reported. Things aren't so shaky that we have to rely on one website, however good it is. DNJournal.com wasn't even born when business.com was sold for $7.5 million. Sales don't happen because of one website, they happen because of market demands.

Like touchring, I also don't like the idea of the hype getting ahead of reality. Just because a few domains are bought for a few thousand dollars, doesn't mean that all domains should be priced that way. The lack of sales for names asking X,XXX proves that.

Hype or not, the good thing about IDNs is that almost everyone who has gotten in early this year won't lose money in the long term with that few hundred or thousand names registered for $7, just a few diamonds within will square off the whole investment - this is the worst case scenario.

Others will make a fortune out of it.

But the same cannot be said of normal domains.
Old 7th June 2006, 08:17 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring

But the same cannot be said of normal domains.
Or diamonds for that matter...
Old 7th June 2006, 08:57 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
Or diamonds for that matter...
Yes, how often do you see cut and polished stones just lying around waiting to be picked up!
Old 7th June 2006, 12:58 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
The lack of sales for names asking X,XXX proves that.
I don't see any lack of this one just needs to check the sales section on idntools.net.

99.9% of the sales are going on via email and pms. I'd say the majority of sales threads currently are just for showcasing.
Old 7th June 2006, 01:52 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
I don't see any lack of this one just needs to check the sales section on idntools.net.

99.9% of the sales are going on via email and pms. I'd say the majority of sales threads currently are just for showcasing.
No Publicity unfortunately means not at IDNtools either. This list is far from comprehensive almost certainly represents less than 50% of what is actually going on, and possibly a lot less than that!
Old 7th June 2006, 04:51 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
No Publicity unfortunately means not at IDNtools either. This list is far from comprehensive almost certainly represents less than 50% of what is actually going on, and possibly a lot less than that!
True, but this is the way of domaining. Most buyers want their buys to remain secret as to not inflate prices or give a hint as to what market they are trying to corner.

The publicity will come with the full release of IE7 and with major Japanese and Chinese sites going live with IDN urls. The ppc and advertising dollars come rolling in. Then and only then will the "sheep" be convinced.

I may see this a different way then most but I am not in it for the fame of everyone knowing I am a big seller. I'm not in it for the pride of having my name on the Dnjournal; although I've had many that qualify. I am quite content with no one knowing the extent of the stack that I am sitting on. I am in this for the money. These sales of mine are only to provide renewal fees and buy more IDN.

I personally would rather not see huge $20,000 dollar sales or higher right now. I already fear a bubble building up that is fast outpacing the potential earnings of some domains in the near future. This is not to say they will never pay off. They will. But how long would you as an investor wait to see an ROI?

Long story short, let the market correct itself. It always does and always will.
Old 7th June 2006, 07:29 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
People are free to PM me of course, I try to collect succesful sales but I can't look behind closed doors.