IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2006, 08:15 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Welcome SEDO

I notice "SEDO" joined our forum today.

We have been looking forward to hearing from you...

.. please take the stage.
Old 12th June 2006, 08:22 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Welcome SEDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
I notice "SEDO" joined our forum today.

We have been looking forward to hearing from you...

.. please take the stage.

Our Mr Sedo will have a hard time here, this is ND's strong ground.
Old 12th June 2006, 08:24 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Our Mr Sedo will have a hard time here, this is ND's strong ground.
the last guest to turn up at the party never has it easy.. all the alcohol has usually gone apart from Advocat, and only the girls with "nice personalities" are left...

.. still better late than never.

edit: maybe we could have a showdown thread like they air during presidential elections. Sedo vs ND
Old 12th June 2006, 08:42 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

I look forward to SEDO's contributions.
Old 12th June 2006, 08:45 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
I look forward to SEDO's contributions.
we all do.

Competition is a good thing, and the only winners will be the consumers ie us.

But they will more than likely get a frosty reception initially, but I'm sure their shoulders are broad enough to weather it.
Old 12th June 2006, 08:48 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

10-4

10-18
Old 12th June 2006, 08:52 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
10-4

10-18
10-19
Old 12th June 2006, 09:01 AM

BC is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Welcome SEDO

Hello hello,

I thought it was about time to join the IDN community.
We at Sedo have been working to get into the IDN scene, and as many of you know it has not been the quickest process.

Some of you have already realized that Sedo now accepts IDN domains for parking.
I was hesitant to post here until we had some useful information to report.

...so here it is:

it would appear that IDNs of Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and Japanese origin can all be successfully parked at Sedo.

The provided landing page should appear in the language of the IP, however should display results based on the domain.

Keywords are automatically provided for the domain, and we will be working on an optimization system for the future.

of course I am very interested in your feedback, and I hope that we can work together in the future and make IDN domains as succesful as possible

(I am still working on my account, so not signature yet)

-Bill

Now Parking IDN domains!
-Sedo
Old 12th June 2006, 09:06 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedo
Hello hello,

I thought it was about time to join the IDN community.
We at Sedo have been working to get into the IDN scene, and as many of you know it has not been the quickest process.

Some of you have already realized that Sedo now accepts IDN domains for parking.
I was hesitant to post here until we had some useful information to report.

...so here it is:

it would appear that IDNs of Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and Japanese origin can all be successfully parked at Sedo.

The provided landing page should appear in the language of the IP, however should display results based on the domain.

Keywords are automatically provided for the domain, and we will be working on an optimization system for the future.

of course I am very interested in your feedback, and I hope that we can work together in the future and make IDN domains as succesful as possible

(I am still working on my account, so not signature yet)

-Bill

Now Parking IDN domains!
-Sedo
Welcome Bill,

I am sure there will be many questions, so I'll start the ball rolling:

Have Sedo resolved the Chinese firewall parking issue? Most of us here believe that native Chinese cannot access a ND or Sedo landing page, and thus are using providers such as Dopa (silverclicks)
Old 12th June 2006, 09:57 AM

Exclamation Re: Welcome SEDO

Quote:
Welcome Bill,

I am sure there will be many questions, so I'll start the ball rolling:

Have Sedo resolved the Chinese firewall parking issue? Most of us here believe that native Chinese cannot access a ND or Sedo landing page, and thus are using providers such as Dopa (silverclicks)
Unfortunatley to the best of my knowledge: we (Sedo), as well as other parking providers are currently unable to receive the full amount of traffic generated from China.

The cause as you have mentioned being the firewall.

until China decides to allow traffic to parked pages we and many others will be unable to completely monetize the traffic.

-Bill

Now Parking IDN Domains
(with related advertisments)
Old 12th June 2006, 10:07 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedo
Unfortunatley to the best of my knowledge: we (Sedo), as well as other parking providers are currently unable to receive the full amount of traffic generated from China.

The cause as you have mentioned being the firewall.

until China decides to allow traffic to parked pages we and many others will be unable to completely monetize the traffic.

-Bill
What's your personal view on this? is there light at the end of the tunnel, or is it unlikely to change in the near future?
Old 12th June 2006, 12:27 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Off the Wall idea.

Just occurred to me whilst playing Badminton, an annoying game we tried out because the Squash Courts were closed, that one of the things that this Industry could do with and probably must have in order for the bigger players to become seriously interested is a decent professional appraisal service.

Sedo already does this for ASCII domains, but has backed out of the IDN arena, probably largely due to lack of qualified appraisers as well as a low level of interest.
Well, this forum certainly has the people available to do this job and I am sure that it cannot be too long before there will be a call for professional appraisal.

Doesn't take a genius to join the dots and see that there is an opportunity going begging here.
Old 12th June 2006, 12:39 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you think the market might be too young? Is there a strict appraisal formula for ASCII and where does that diverge from IDN appraisal possibility? If ascii.com, net, and org are like the old ABC, NBC, CBS networks, how does one evaluate a cable program? Does that make sense?
Old 12th June 2006, 12:42 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Off the Wall idea.

Just occurred to me whilst playing Badminton, an annoying game we tried out because the Squash Courts were closed, that one of the things that this Industry could do with and probably must have in order for the bigger players to become seriously interested is a decent professional appraisal service.

Sedo already does this for ASCII domains, but has backed out of the IDN arena, probably largely due to lack of qualified appraisers as well as a low level of interest.
Well, this forum certainly has the people available to do this job and I am sure that it cannot be too long before there will be a call for professional appraisal.

Doesn't take a genius to join the dots and see that there is an opportunity going begging here.
1) Anyone knows badminton is a much better game than squash

2) Appraising domain name is a fraught job at the best of times. Add in all the uncertainties with IDNs, lack of traffic etc. and IMHO, putting a $ value on IDNs is just not an idea of its time yet. Check out the appraisal forum. Nobody gives any $ values.... there's a good reason for that.
Old 12th June 2006, 12:48 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
1) Anyone knows badminton is a much better game than squash

2) Appraising domain name is a fraught job at the best of times. Add in all the uncertainties with IDNs, lack of traffic etc. and IMHO, putting a $ value on IDNs is just not an idea of its time yet. Check out the appraisal forum. Nobody gives any $ values.... there's a good reason for that.
1) isn't badmington "lazy tennis" ?

2) I agree. Domains aren't worth anything, it's not like they are a recognised currency or exchange rate - their value will be determined by the buyer, and on how much the buyer wants it. IMO it will take a fair few public end-user sales across many genres until we see a benchmark that will enable other names to be valued accordingly.

Last edited by alpha; 12th June 2006 at 12:59 PM..
Old 12th June 2006, 01:18 PM

sakillll is an unknown quantity at this point

I know sedo idn parking page that there is no make offer function for buyer.
What problem is it ?
Old 12th June 2006, 01:23 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

2) I agree. Domains aren't worth anything, it's not like they are a recognised currency or exchange rate - their value will be determined by the buyer, and on how much the buyer wants it. IMO it will take a fair few public end-user sales across many genres until we see a benchmark that will enable other names to be valued accordingly.
Badminton is all about "perfect timing". Much like domain names
Old 12th June 2006, 01:25 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
and only the girls with "nice personalities" are left...
Is it always the case that nice personality and appearance are mutually exclusive?
Old 12th June 2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:

personally I am more of a racquet ball kind of guy.

IDNs can be appraised at Sedo, however as you all know the value of an IDN is intellectual. Sedo still bases appraisals off of the TLD/availability, length of the domain/misspelling, history, similar transactions, and a few other variables... but in the end it is up to the market to decide how much to offer.

Make Offer feature:
We are still looking for consistent ways of confirming ownership of IDN domains, and until then Sedo will not be able to transfer IDN domains.

(could you guys PM me some good WHOIS servers for IDNs?)

...and the good girls wait... hehe

-Bill

Now Parking IDN Domains
(with related advertisments)

Last edited by BC; 14th June 2006 at 09:11 AM..
Old 12th June 2006, 01:38 PM
Banned

idn1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Off the Wall idea.
Bad idea. It is much too early for anyone to have an
appraisal service for IDN's; no one here can claim to
be an expert in IDN valuations, how on earth could
they? ...and whilst we are on the subject, how would
Sedo prevent 'conflicts of interest'?

...it'd be like giving public corporations the power to
value their own stock!