IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Parking and Affiliate Programs > IDN Domain Name Parking

IDN Domain Name Parking Forum for parking international Domain names & services.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2006, 10:37 AM

NameDriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to NameDriver
IDN parking full implementation

Hi guys,

I've just come back from a week away to be told by tech that they feel they have achieved full implementation for our IDN parking. This has been touched on in a couple of threads, so I thought I'd gather it all up here. We've been at the forefront of pretty much everything that has gone on in IDN parking over the past 9 months and we're delighted to take this a step further.
There will no doubt be bugs and issues, but we are communicating very well with Google on this and things are looking good. We appreciate that IDN domains are the future rather than the present and we hope that the earnings you can acheive will only grow and grow.
Please let us know any feedback / comments / bugs you may have and we'll look into them as soon as possible.
You can get a faster answer by emailing me at ed@namedrive.com

Thank you for your many months of patience.

Ed
Old 12th June 2006, 10:52 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN parking full implementation

Hi Ed,

Thanks for dropping by.

I thinka lot of people are having issues with their selected preferences 'sticking'
ie. Selecting their preferences, cascading changes and they are not sticking.
Old 12th June 2006, 11:22 AM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point

I received a prompt response from your team Ed regarding native ads -

"We return advertising based on IP region and Google has an extensive
amount of international advertising. If someone is looking at a domain
from a Chinese IP, it will return Chinese ads, if someone is looking
from a Japanese IP, it'll return Japanese ads etc. If you log into your
account and click on "Settings" then go to a particular domain, you can
click the magnifying glass icon to view the page and click "Customize"
to view that page as it will appear in different countries.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you out with."

I think some of my confusion had arisen from thinking that when I was selecting the country (Japan say), and refreshed the screen, I was getting a full page of appropriate ads...and that's great!

But when I saved and exited, and then came back, they appeared to have been lost....

But this email helped me to finally 'get it', so to speak, and realise that I am seeing what someone in Japan would see through their IP. When I exit the customise view, and then re-enter it again, I am seeing the default ads for my IP location. The settings are not lost at all.

This is correct Ed?
Old 12th June 2006, 11:26 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Ed,

we need some sort of manual or users guide.

now normally i don't bother reading these - but if you do produce one, i'll promise i'll at least speed-read it.
Old 12th June 2006, 11:29 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

How about a Thai parking page Ed? I've got around 700 Thai names now and some are already showing signs of having decent traffic levels, even though 97% of Thais don't use IDN-enabled browsers.

As you know, Google have started serving Thai ads as well, so the only remaining piece in the puzzle is Thai language parking pages
Old 12th June 2006, 11:48 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
How about a Thai parking page Ed? I've got around 700 Thai names now and some are already showing signs of having decent traffic levels, even though 97% of Thais don't use IDN-enabled browsers.

As you know, Google have started serving Thai ads as well, so the only remaining piece in the puzzle is Thai language parking pages
I have the same issue with Russian/Ukraine names. We can see what Poland sees, but what is the ETA on Russian?

Respectfully yours,
Jerry
Old 12th June 2006, 12:12 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Hi Ed, this is all good news. We appreciate your support and continued efforts on our behalf. Thanks for coming by IDNForums for updates.
Old 12th June 2006, 01:42 PM

sakillll is an unknown quantity at this point

As yet. I don't see the any native advertiser at ND parking page.
What language does ND support ? japanese and waht ?
Old 12th June 2006, 02:29 PM

alex is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Ed. I'm very happy to see that my Japanese IDNs seem to be working properly in the Japanese region. The test preview pages also seem to work now, showing a preview of Japanese ads without the need to go through a Japanese proxy.

In the case of one domain, I noticed that the US and German previews showed English and German language ads presumably based on an automatic translation of the Japanese keyword. With other sample domains, some showed the Japanese ads in other regions, while others returned no results in other regions. I couldn't determine an obvious pattern from the domains I looked at.

I have my Japanese character keywords set with the "All Regions" selection. In the case of Japanese IDN domains, is it possible to have an optional setting that shows Japanese language ads in ALL countries, rather than only to Japanese IPs?

For example, a Japanese national living in France who types in a Japanese language keyword might be more receptive to seeing Japanese language ads. I'm not sure they would expect local French language ads when typing in a Japanese Kanji term.

I understand this may be determined by Google, but please consider this as a future option if it is possible to implement on your end.

Could you also please explain how the Cascade feature is intended to work and if it is related?

Thank you for your ongoing efforts.
Old 12th June 2006, 03:01 PM

OldIDNer is an unknown quantity at this point

great news
Old 12th June 2006, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Serving different languages by geotargeting is cool, but will you also do it by looking at the "preferred langauge" sent by the browser in the http request header.

I'm sure the japanese population in Brasil would like to see stuff in Japanese as well.
Old 13th June 2006, 08:35 AM
Semi-retired

Why are the only language's previewed in the customize option "American, English, German, Japan and Polish" ?

Polish?? wtf , no disrespect here, but can we swap Polish for Russian or Arabic please?

seriously.. what is the ETA on the other languages?
Old 13th June 2006, 08:48 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
Why are the only language's previewed in the customize option "American, English, German, Japan and Polish" ?

Polish?? wtf , no disrespect here, but can we swap Polish for Russian or Arabic please?

seriously.. what is the ETA on the other languages?
I think the Poles deserve to be there, they have been very proactive with IDN, but yes Chinese, Russian and Arabic are obvious omissions!
Old 13th June 2006, 08:51 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I think the Poles deserve to be there, they have been very proactive with IDN, but yes Chinese, Russian and Arabic are obvious omissions!
I'm beginning to understand that somethings are within the parking providers ability to influence, and somethings they are unable to influence without Google and co's input.

From what I can see, SEDO can do Russian, so there's no excuse for ND not to.
Old 13th June 2006, 09:25 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
I'm beginning to understand that somethings are within the parking providers ability to influence, and somethings they are unable to influence without Google and co's input.

From what I can see, SEDO can do Russian, so there's no excuse for ND not to.
In this sense, I wasn't aware that SEDO did this anywhere.

I am also not aware of any technical issues that would prevent ND doing anywhere that has an established Parking Service. It would seem to me, however, that what you are really getting is a IP location rather than a language, so you should really have several locations within the Arab World. Perhaps they can only do this where they have one of their own servers based, in which case, it is going to take time and investment to roll it out.
Old 13th June 2006, 09:34 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
In this sense, I wasn't aware that SEDO did this anywhere.

I am also not aware of any technical issues that would prevent ND doing anywhere that has an established Parking Service. It would seem to me, however, that what you are really getting is a IP location rather than a language, so you should really have several locations within the Arab World. Perhaps they can only do this where they have one of their own servers based, in which case, it is going to take time and investment to roll it out.
oh ok..

So is ND displaying Russian and Arabic ads or not? I assumed that the lack of either of these two in the customize drop down meant not, but as you say it may just be like a proxy setting as you say.

ND really need to articulate their offering. All I have seen so far is what could be perceived as a quick post on this forum to counter the SEDO post about parking.

Ed are you reading this? can you please explain what is meant by your "full IDN parking" statement. We know this doesn't include Chinese because of the firewall issue - but I think we deserve at least a little more info.
Old 13th June 2006, 10:47 AM

NameDriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to NameDriver

Hi there,

Plenty to get through here, so I hope I can do everyone justice:

- Preview. We only have previews for countries where we have the parking page fully translated into this language. Polish is one of these. Russian should be upon us within 24 hours. Arabic is a little trickier as it requires our entire page to be from right to left rather than left to right.

- Displayed ads. We display ads in every non-Latin character set. Russian is certainly active. Arabic is harder because of Google's implementation, so we're continuing to work with them on that.

- Taking the ads from the browser preferences as well as the IP. This is something we've looked at, thanks to your guys' previous input. It is also an issue with Google we are looking to smooth out.

- Japanese ads in France. I suppose this is something that comes under the last point. It is also a similar situation with a Spanish person in the US getting English language ads. Hopefully we can get this sorted out with Google on more than just an IP basis.

- Thai pages. We do return Thai ads, if anyone is interested in translating our portal into Thai, then we would be very happy to implement it. We would also welcome any offers for Korean translations.

As I said in my first post, there is still work to be done, but I think, however much you are frustrated, it is clear that we are doing more than anyone else to try and earn IDNers more money.

Ed
Old 13th June 2006, 10:50 AM
Semi-retired

thanks for taking the time to reply Ed.
Old 13th June 2006, 10:53 AM
Veteran

Yes, I would tend to agree that you are still ahead of the game and have got the momentum, but the race isn't over yet and the field is beginning to bunch on your shoulder!

Thanks for that, though. It alll sounds like very good news!

RD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameDriver
Hi there,

Plenty to get through here, so I hope I can do everyone justice:

- Preview. We only have previews for countries where we have the parking page fully translated into this language. Polish is one of these. Russian should be upon us within 24 hours. Arabic is a little trickier as it requires our entire page to be from right to left rather than left to right.

- Displayed ads. We display ads in every non-Latin character set. Russian is certainly active. Arabic is harder because of Google's implementation, so we're continuing to work with them on that.

- Taking the ads from the browser preferences as well as the IP. This is something we've looked at, thanks to your guys' previous input. It is also an issue with Google we are looking to smooth out.

- Japanese ads in France. I suppose this is something that comes under the last point. It is also a similar situation with a Spanish person in the US getting English language ads. Hopefully we can get this sorted out with Google on more than just an IP basis.

- Thai pages. We do return Thai ads, if anyone is interested in translating our portal into Thai, then we would be very happy to implement it. We would also welcome any offers for Korean translations.

As I said in my first post, there is still work to be done, but I think, however much you are frustrated, it is clear that we are doing more than anyone else to try and earn IDNers more money.

Ed
Old 13th June 2006, 12:14 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameDriver
Russian should be upon us within 24 hours.
I just sent Ed the Russian translation. Looking forward to seeing it up.