IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2006, 06:34 AM

networker is an unknown quantity at this point
City Domains in Native Languages

Well - city domains in their native languages seem to be one of the best/most secure investments in IDNs, but my question to everyone is - what is a minimum population threshold that you deem worthy of investing in? 10,000? 50,000? 100,000?

Obviously it depends on the country, and other aspects of the cities, but I'm just trying to get a general understanding of what's worth investing in.
Old 13th June 2006, 06:36 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: City Domains in Native Languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by networker
Well - city domains in their native languages seem to be one of the best/most secure investments in IDNs, but my question to everyone is - what is a minimum population threshold that you deem worthy of investing in? 10,000? 50,000? 100,000?

Obviously it depends on the country, and other aspects of the cities, but I'm just trying to get a general understanding of what's worth investing in.
Some cities have populations of many millions that are too poor to afford a phone. If the economy is bad in a city, with poor political prospects, it isn't going to be a good investment.

Take a look at the Global Cities thread in the members section for an grasp of some serious research into what makes a City worthy of investment.

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/3507...ce-2006-a.html

I'd say if you own any city name from the list on there, you are doing well. Obviously the higher up, the more valuable.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 13th June 2006 at 06:42 AM..
Old 13th June 2006, 09:07 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: City Domains in Native Languages

Well, I didn't see much enlightenment there I am afraid.

Most search by citiies is done internally rather than externally, so this global reach model doesn't work for me.

Size is obviously crucial and there is going to be a critical point probably somewhere between 100K and 250K where the critical mass drops so low that people look to something bigger. Take Woking which went for about $8K the other day. Most of the upper middle class probably make their living in London rather than locally. It is just a place on the way to somewhere else.

Internet connectivity is important, but you really need to be looking forward 2 to 3 years by which time most of the World will be getting online in some shape or form.

Personal disposable income is important. The more people have to spend the more advertisers are interested in them. On the other hand there are items which tend to be regarded as essentials which everyone needs one of but sometimes only one, take water meters in China. Therefore even this criteria isn't everything.

Don't forget currency exchange rates are greatly distorting the World Economy and also distort the way we measure it even more. The truth is that economies such as China and India have always been much bigger than we have given them credit for. They are also expanding much more rapidly than we are giving them credit for. Japan's economy grew at an incredible rate in the latter part of the last century. This growth was not really covered by the reported growth figures, but by adjustments in the exchange rate to reflect the reality of the situation.

Just remember, there are lies, damned lies and statistics.