IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2006, 09:09 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Does owning 1000+ domains give you a PhD in Domaining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNo
Continuing to spend money on IDN's, not making money on them.

I guess it's all speculation about the future, IE7, foreign languages, special keyboards and such.

Very interesting.

Ok, i think you want to understand the dynamics of the situation, here's some points.

People started on IDNs at various times:

Group A). Those that started in 2003/2004 want to cash out partially to the tune of 100k or more while the heat that they created with the help of IE7's impending launch is on (e.g. Giant, RD, Olney etc). They have waited so long, and they know the pain of waiting.

Group B). Those who started in Nov/Dec (myself, Sal, etc) are selling when the opportunity presents itself - at least enough to pay for next year's reg fee, and maybe to buy some other names that we could not register. We're just leveraging on the heat created by Group A. And unlike Group A, some of the names we sell are our best names (people won't buy poor names), so it's more like switching from one name to another rather than cashing out.

Group C). Those that came in late (Feb/Mar) find it hard to find good free names, so they panick, and are trying to buy from those who registered earlier. Also, some might enjoy the "adrenalin rush" of chopping big names on open forums.

Bottomline:

Everyone here believes that IDNs have potential - but the key is the "waiting time" and "holding power". Not everyone wants to wait 6-8 years for that typical Chinese or Japanese domain to reach $10k or $20k value, so if it's possible to cash out right now, why not? And for every seller here who has invested in IDNs before 2004, there is another maybe a few more that are keeping quiet and sitting tight on their investment.

Advice for newbies:

Buy selectively and at the price you think is fair value. Try not to give yourself a timeline like "I just got 20k, i need to spend it in 3 days, give me your best domains!" I myself made that mistake earlier with ASCII names, luckily i sold more than i bought, but still stuck with some.

And if you are looking for a quick gain, forget it, this is a medium to long term investment, unless you have a time machine and can get yourself into Group A.

Last edited by touchring; 15th June 2006 at 09:33 AM..
Old 15th June 2006, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
My reaction is to ask how many IDN sales you have made? End users?

If you don't want to give specific names or numbers, then I really have nothing else to say.
Clearly, you either didn't understand my previous post, or don't want to.

Either way, I can see I'm wasting my time.

Reminds me of a joke.

Q. What do an Australian and a computer have in common?

A. You have to punch information into both of them.

Q. What's the difference between an Australian and a computer?

A. A computer doesn't forget.
Old 15th June 2006, 11:26 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I understand that you feel you've assembled a nice portfolio of IDN's. Can I ask how many IDN sales you have made? How much profit has that nice IDN portfolio made you?
Most people are holding their idns, as the values are going to really take off as they come into mainstream use with the release of IE7. Why sell now, when you pretty much know they are going to be worth quite a bit more in the foreseeable future. As advertising appears with native script urls, people will begin to utilize native scripts instead of English urls.

In reverse, if the Chinese had invented the internet, you would be looking everything up with a Chinese translator. URLs would be in Chinese, not English. How inconvenient! Not to mention aggravating. And if someone offered to change the "Chinese" to English urls do you think the English speaking population would prefer that? Of course. Thats how simple all this idn stuff really is.

85% of the world does not speak English, idns are for this market. Advertising agencies worldwide are going to have a field day with these campaigns. All of the pieces for this system are in place, and the final requirement is IE7 to be mainstream.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 15th June 2006 at 03:25 PM..
Old 15th June 2006, 02:51 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Ok, i think you want to understand the dynamics of the situation, here's some points.

People started on IDNs at various times:
What group am I in? I started in November 2000.
Old 15th June 2006, 03:05 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner
that would be either "Group D: lucky" or "Group E: Show-off"

and you can put me in "Group F: Jealous"
Old 15th June 2006, 03:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:

I've not thought about that, maybe Group "Pay your bills on time."
Old 15th June 2006, 03:27 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
that would be either "Group D: lucky" or "Group E: Show-off"

and you can put me in "Group F: Jealous"
A LOT of the best names were picked up in drops, in 2003-2005, when I wasn't even looking! All of my names were registered in 2000, 2001 and early 2006.
Old 15th June 2006, 03:30 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
A LOT of the best names were picked up in drops, in 2003-2005, when I wasn't even looking! All of my names were registered in 2000, 2001 and early 2006.
I think I would agree that somewhere around 2003-04, there were more opportunities than with the original test bad.
Old 15th June 2006, 03:33 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
<-waiting for idnowner to auction off one of them ;P
Old 15th June 2006, 03:34 PM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I was going to suggest this group to touch too.

Starting from 2000, this is absolute the luckiest group. I am lucky that I got few domains from someone in this group, but I know that these guys have been rejecting offers at the $xx,xxx range all the time. I have only seen one person in this group (Javago) is selling few domains (the auction of Chinese Taipei.com went up to $15,000+ but did not meet the reserve).
Old 15th June 2006, 03:49 PM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
<-waiting for idnowner to auction off one of them ;P
I don't think that this is going to happen. One domain that idnowner owns has Jp-OVT with ext 5000, a top financial domain. He is not even letting it go for a half million now.
Old 15th June 2006, 03:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
I don't think that this is going to happen. One domain that idnowner owns has Jp-OVT with ext 5000, a top financial domain. He is not even letting it go for a half million now.

But if it's the name of an existing website, if he is offered half a million, he might consider quickly cash out. Unlike ASCII domains, JP OVT with ext do not appear out of thin air - no matter how popular the term.
Old 15th June 2006, 03:56 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
But if it's the name of an existing website, if he is offered half a million, he might consider quickly cash out before he loses it without compensation. Unlike ASCII domains, JP OVT with ext do not appear out of thin air - no matter how popular the term.
If it's a generic word, he has nothing to worry about, right?
Old 15th June 2006, 03:57 PM

Not an existing website name, not at all. A generic domain indeed.

idnowner, is it ok to announce that domain?
Old 15th June 2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
Not existing website name, not at all. A generic domain indeed.

Idnower, is it ok to announce that domain?

Okay with me... I don't think it's a secret. I think I know the one you're talking about, but I haven's check all of 'em.
Old 15th June 2006, 04:07 PM

The domain is 株.com. Current ovt with ext is 3915, the lowest in four months time (last month 4800+).
Old 15th June 2006, 04:54 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

A couple of the best French IDN dropped in April 2006 and were picked up by Drewbert and Touchring. Don't forget those!

Overture with extension are over 10,000 for each.

Bastards.
Old 16th June 2006, 04:07 AM

I am sure Drewbert and Touchring's domains are priceless too.
PS: 株 has 76 ovt ads ranging from Y35 to Y377. As Edwin mentioned in another thread, such domains may never be for sale.