IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2006, 09:43 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Re: The first $1mn IDN?...

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers"
- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Old 15th June 2006, 09:45 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
Damn, I thought I had included that one. Nice addition though. Maybe the billion chinese people are all sharing just one computer in china.

Oh, and they all speak english of course.
Old 15th June 2006, 09:46 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
Damn, I thought I had included that one. Nice addition though. Maybe the billion chinese people are all sharing just one computer in china.

Oh, and they all speak english of course.
it would explain this months PPC revenue
Old 15th June 2006, 11:01 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys should not make fun of these not-very-smart people, they are not smart enough to know everything :-)

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 16th June 2006, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

"the internet will never catch on, private networks like MSN and AOL are the future."

Bill Gates, verson one of his book (version to left that quote out)).
Old 16th June 2006, 12:38 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Good going, digging up my quote from 1997 which was written before ANY - and I do mean ANY - high profile domain sales were widely reported in the media. I know it must be hard to think back to those prehistoric days...

Remember too that the site was designed to be read by and help novices. It's still true (just look around any of the domain forums today) that MOST people (80%? 90%? More?) in the domain market with more than a handful of names are in it at a loss - but it's easy to focus on the gold that gleams and to overlook the muck that doesn't.

It's long, but if you'd care to read what I wrote on the subject somewhat more recently (in around 2000 if memory serves) you'll see that I'm not quite as out of touch as the 1997 quote "suggests"
http://www.igoldrush.com/feata1.htm
Old 16th June 2006, 12:48 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
Good going, digging up my quote from 1997 which was written before ANY - and I do mean ANY - high profile domain sales were widely reported in the media. I know it must be hard to think back to those prehistoric days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcle
Which is exactly why he should see the redundancy of the statement and how short-sighted it actually is.
Im not holding youre Last Millinium Post against you like i tried to make that clear in my posts , the point of the matter is you are making comments like this agian with IDN's , But while you are here to respond it would be nice if you could touch on the Fact that why PPC & Traffic is the only factor of creating a Million Dollar Sale ? Because i could have sworn there a few more things that can bring that type of cash ie : End Users , Developers , Collectors , " Pride for my Countriers " , I Missed the Boaters , ect.
Old 16th June 2006, 12:55 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

It's bizarre, I'm one of the LEAST PPC people on here. Most of my traffic comes from my developed sites, which I've been building since late 1995. So I understand completely that there's many ways to give value to a name beyond parking it!

Please go back and read my REASONING for the "no IDN sale above $1 million" opinion!

BTW, I never said "No IDN will ever be worth $1 million". That would be a ludicrous thing to say, as I expect quite a few will. But I doubt we'll ever see a publicly reported sale (of the type that would headline a DNJournal sales report) above $1 million. What happens behind the screens of corporate NDAs may well be different, but you and I will never know...
Old 16th June 2006, 01:03 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Please go back and read my REASONING for the "no IDN sale above $1 million" opinion!

BTW, I never said "No IDN will ever be worth $1 million". That would be a ludicrous thing to say, as I expect quite a few will. But I doubt we'll ever see a publicly reported sale (of the type that would headline a DNJournal sales report) above $1 million. What happens behind the screens of corporate NDAs may well be different, but you and I will never know...

Quote:
I don't think you'll ever see a $1 million IDN sale.

The names without traffic aren't ever going to reach that high, and those with tons of juicy traffic (post-adoption, post IE7 etc.) are going to be making so much money at that point that their owners won't sell - period. Just like as in ASCII right now there are about a dozen mega-domainers sitting on huge portfolios who never ever sell anything - and why should they when they're making millions and millions of dollars a year from parking income.

Maybe thats not what you wanted to say but that is surely how it came across ," The names without traffic arent ever going to reach that high" Excludes all the other factors that can cause a domain to sell for 1million + dollars , And the fact about the people wont sell trully is up to them.

And regardless If its a private sale or not the point of this thread was to show or talk about what IDN will break the Million Mark.

Last edited by thegenius1; 16th June 2006 at 02:11 AM..
Old 16th June 2006, 05:38 AM

alex is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd like to think that one of our future IDN land barons might "sacrifice" one of their lower value $1 Million+ domains for the publicity value, which would serve to raise the market value along with value of their own holdings.
Old 18th June 2006, 05:01 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm not sure about single domains but I can easily see themed sets being hold at that rate probably before a single domain goes that high.

A company goes & gets all the domains that they are already targeting for advertising keywords.

I tried to collect a few of these themes but like Edwin said if I'm personally making a ton of cash myself off of the domains. Then there's no reason to sell.
Old 18th June 2006, 02:25 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
Note that he is speaking in the "present" - not the future like the others, thus his statement may be correct for that point in time.
Old 18th June 2006, 02:31 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
Note that he is speaking in the "present" - not the future like the others, thus his statement may be correct for that point in time.
Yes, seeing the World market from the US perspective in 1943 was North America and Britain, and these machines had no other Military purpose at that time apart from Code cracking, and there was no spare money to spend on non-Military Applications, that would have made some sense.
Old 19th June 2006, 05:10 AM

IDNo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't think you'll ever see a $1 million IDN sale.
Of course I agree, and I think the question itself is setting a completely unrealistic goal. Not many domains have ever, or will ever sell for 7 figures regardless of extension, ASCII or IDN's. Even among the very best .com's, few have reached that price point.
Old 19th June 2006, 05:18 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

While we are floating in dreamland, please take a look at this - http://www.idnforums.com/forums/4058...with-idns.html.
Old 19th June 2006, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Few that you KNOW OF.

There are plenty of IDN names that will be worth 7 digits and those sales will happen, it's just that you may not know it.
Old 19th June 2006, 05:25 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think it is possible down the road. I predict around 2010 for Japan.(above post was about the next 2 years)
The reason why I say this is because there are some extremely small start ups in Tokyo that are making tons of cash online now.
Unlike the US where advertising budget is split in several regions. In Japan it isn't. Many companies with extremely large advertising budgets, or making lots of money online, the control of the money is in the Tokyo area.

I expect that these markets have the extra cash to secure these names.
Old 19th June 2006, 05:28 AM

Wink Re: The first $1mn IDN?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNo
Of course I agree, and I think the question itself is setting a completely unrealistic goal. Not many domains have ever, or will ever sell for 7 figures regardless of extension, ASCII or IDN's. Even among the very best .com's, few have reached that price point.
Have you purchased a IDN yet or said anything positive towards the IDN movement or are all of youre 16 posts in some sort a effort to put IDNs down ? If a English Domain can sell for 7figs why cant a Japanese, Chinese , Arabic , Russian , Hindi ect Domain sell for that much ? If Microsoft or ICANN where Japanese Companies and all these years we were not allowed to buy domains in English , and then we were allowed are you saying Business , Sex , Flowers ect would not still sell in the Same price range if not more just because of the Shock Value ?

Last edited by thegenius1; 19th June 2006 at 05:32 AM..
Old 19th June 2006, 05:31 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

I received an emial from a "CEO" in Japan interested in my 裸.com (Overture-JP 100k+) and asked me to get an appraisal. It looks like an appraisal scam and I immediately put whois privacy on the domain. Meanwhile, I emailed back asking him to provide evidence that he is able to pay a minimum $1 million in order for me to order an appraisal.
I haven't heard back from him yet. LOL.
Old 19th June 2006, 05:39 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I think it is possible down the road. I predict around 2010 for Japan.(above post was about the next 2 years)
The reason why I say this is because there are some extremely small start ups in Tokyo that are making tons of cash online now.
Unlike the US where advertising budget is split in several regions. In Japan it isn't. Many companies with extremely large advertising budgets, or making lots of money online, the control of the money is in the Tokyo area.

I expect that these markets have the extra cash to secure these names.

For 7-figures, it would have to be an end-user if it's not PPC backed.

iREITs or big time domain speculators might not pay much more than 8 years PPC for a domain, based on current market trends. Unless there appears a domain that can earn 7 figures in 8 years. It will have to earn $350 a day.

It is also possible that with easier and cheaper domain financing, PE ratio will rise beyond 8 years.