IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2006, 10:25 AM
Banned

idn1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
IDN public relations exercise?

Hi,

I wonder if any of you have given any thought to
PR and IDN, as it effects domainers?

I mean, do any of you think it would be worthwhile
for us to e.g. extend a virtual 'olive branch' now to
selected media in Asia, and other places, so that
(when IE7 does 'hit the fan') IDN is more warmly
received?... or is there no need for that.

All I am thinking is that certain media have 'god like'
powers, in many ways, and laying/prepping the
playing field with them now (in a positive manner)
could help to ensure IDN is viewed more positively
from the outset... and this ought to mean domains
achieving higher prices, more quickly...
Old 16th June 2006, 10:35 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: IDN public relations exercise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn1234
Hi,

I wonder if any of you have given any thought to

I mean, do any of you think it would be worthwhile
for us to e.g. extend a virtual 'olive branch' now to
selected media in Asia, and other places, so that
(when IE7 does 'hit the fan') IDN is more warmly
received?... or is there no need for that.

All I am thinking is that certain media have 'god like'
powers, in many ways, and laying/prepping the
playing field with them now (in a positive manner)
could help to ensure IDN is viewed more positively
from the outset... and this ought to mean domains
achieving higher prices, more quickly...

I would think that any Media attention would be useful to raise the profile at this stage, but I have no idea, how to get them interested in publishing an article.
Old 16th June 2006, 12:52 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn1234
Hi, I wonder if any of you have given any thought to
This is an excellent idea, and one that has been discussed before and never got any momentum. Educating the media as to what idns are and effect on the internet is an important step as they come into use.

IDNs are really going to be a great story. Rubber Duck coined it best "The Parallel Universe" of domaining, which will be an internet changing event. It was even suggested that press releases could be created under the letterhead of IDNF, if agreed by Olney. Some did not wish for any publicity as they are still registering domains.

I would support this effort, as it will take some time to get this all rolling and into the right media persons for topic consideration.
Old 16th June 2006, 01:16 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the first step will be to get something published on DNjournal, webmaster forums, and other internet related publication. In business school, they taught that once you can reach out to the "opinion leaders", the rest will follow.
Old 16th June 2006, 01:25 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I am fairly confident that you persuade Duke to publish something, if it was exclusive to DNJournal, well written and authorative.
Old 16th June 2006, 01:32 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm all in. Also DNJournal has been very supportive of this site from the start.
Also Duke was the 100th member.

I'm also thinking that it might be wise for me to think of an IDN SEO contest for Japanese, with a Cash Prize.

Something like having a level of ranking for a keyword & see who can rank the highest. The keyword has to be in the domain... It would also have to be a sort of competitive keyword...

But this might take 6 months to a year to accomplish.
Old 16th June 2006, 01:39 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=bwhhisc]This is an excellent idea, and one that has been discussed before and never got any momentum. Educating the media as to what idns are and effect on the internet is an important step as they come into use.
QUOTE]

It could be educating them a little, via an interview or article,
or even simpler actions, like...

a) A well-directed letter, written in e.g. Japanese and sent to
a 'tech' reporter at a well-known Japanese broadsheet...

b) A delightful gift, that does not have any real monetary value,
but which shows a little kindness, thought and relevance e.g.
give an IDN to a Japanese b/sheet, showing their newspaper
name? (that way, if they accept 'the gift', they will have bought
in to IDN a little and may well write a favourable story).

There are many ideas like this, that could be done credibly, and
I (for one) am happy to pony up a little cash towards an IDN
'fighting fund'... (that may well help to ease the introduction a
little).

Of course, i'm not talking about bribery here but it may be fair
to say that should <so and so big cheese radio/tv/newspaper,
etc..> do something complimentary for IDN then a 'domino
effect' could occur (to an extent) and others will also write it
up well.

(My knowledge of Asian media suggests that there is not a
very high contrarian element among them, and showing a
little competence and interest right now could go a long way).
Old 16th June 2006, 01:50 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Wouldn't all this work 1000* times better after IE7 is released? Most people's (including journos) enthusiasm will quickly wane if the domains they are invited to try don't resolve in their browser. Journalists are a lazy breed. If you tell them to install Firefox, they will throw your "story" in the bin !
Old 16th June 2006, 01:57 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Wouldn't all this work 1000* times better after IE7 is released? Most people's (including journos) enthusiasm will quickly wane if the domains they are invited to try don't resolve in their browser. Journalists are a lazy breed. If you tell them to install Firefox, they will throw your "story" in the bin !
Thats a valid point...but the trick here is to "prime the pump" and get their interest.

As competitive as news agencies are, and if they do indeed see this as a potential "big story" they can begin to get prepare research and provide a more accurate analysis rather than just shooting from the hip to get something in print once there competitors publish.

Journalists are hungry for original stories, scoops, and breaking news.
Old 16th June 2006, 02:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
That may be, but they often have trouble recognising it, and often find others regurgitated vomit much easier to digest.
Old 16th June 2006, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thats a valid point...but the trick here is to "prime the pump" and get their interest.
Agreed. There's no point turning up to a party,
after all the girls have left... I think the trick here,
as Bill says, is to plant the seed now - that way,
to a small degree, we may be able to engineer
a (near) guaranteed positive outcome as opposed
to wishing and hoping...

(yes, of course, IDN will be fine anyway but there's
no harm in bringing about a situ sooner, esp. if it's
positive...).
Old 16th June 2006, 02:07 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

As competitive as news agencies are, and if they do indeed see this as a potential "big story" they can begin to get prepare research and provide a more accurate analysis rather than just shooting from the hip to get something in print once there competitors publish.

Maybe my experience of even tech journalists is that they tend to get many things wrong, and don't grasp the issues at hand. What happens if the story misfires and the journos choose to talk about phishing blah blah blah.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I think its a good idea. Just don't be surprised if journos get the end of the stick we don't want them to. And like anyone, they want to see a proper demo, whatever browser they have installed. That will really get them excited, seeing what we are talking about "in action", not some dry descripiton of what is "coming soon".
Old 16th June 2006, 02:18 PM
Veteran

That's why it's important to get the first article correct, so that the COPYwriting is correct from the start.
Old 16th June 2006, 02:21 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
That's why it's important to get the first article correct, so that the COPYwriting is correct from the start.
You could do an interview for ST?
Old 16th June 2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Maybe my experience of even tech journalists is that they tend to get many things wrong, and don't grasp the issues at hand. What happens if the story misfires and the journos choose to talk about phishing blah blah blah. I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I think its a good idea. ".
Domainguru- that is a really worthy point, and if they have been watching this out of the corner of their eye, they probably have some negative impressions of idns.

More the reason that we need lots of keen minds on how this is worded, and presented. The fact that phising issues have been addressed, and that Microsoft has 3 (or 4) betas on IE7 in testing provide information to address these objections in a proactive way.

Maybe the current BIG story is the huge ramp up in idn registrations- pointing up the millions of registrations (anyone know where we can get that data by the way??) for the oncoming release of IE7. I'll bet that since September to present it will make a really nice graph!
Old 16th June 2006, 02:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe the current BIG story is the huge ramp up in idn registrations- pointing up the millions of registrations (anyone know where we can get that data by the way??) for the oncoming release of IE7. I'll bet that since September to present it will make a really nice graph!
Owen of Domainsite.com came up with some data along those lines, but that was months ago.
Old 16th June 2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Owen of Domainsite.com came up with some data along those lines, but that was months ago.
Can you email him, or give me his address. I have looked on google for the info, without luck. I also emailed ICANN to see if they can supply. Bill
Old 16th June 2006, 03:21 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I also emailed ICANN to see if they can supply. Bill
Good Luck with that.

I've emailed Icann ton's of times and just get the usual canned response. "We're working hard .. blah blah blah" Translating to "We are a busy organization, don't call us 'cause we won't call you back." Maybe I shouldn't of included the pics of myself scantily clad in a teddy telling Paul "I'm available." XOXO
Old 16th June 2006, 03:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
You could do an interview for ST?
That's a reputation death penalty, you should know domainers are called cybersquatters over here. It will take another 10 years for the mentality to change.
Old 16th June 2006, 03:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Can you email him, or give me his address. I have looked on google for the info, without luck. I also emailed ICANN to see if they can supply. Bill
Owen is listed in the Members Section so you can email him from there.