IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Sales Report

IDN Sales Report Post sales of IDN domains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2006, 05:03 PM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road
Nï.com (xn--n-smb.com) 3000$

an IDN, Nï.com (xn--n-smb.com), was sold by Gary Palmer Jr.'s TopSellingDomains.com for $3,000 on Ebay

http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm
Old 16th June 2006, 05:07 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Nï.com (xn--n-smb.com) 3000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
an IDN, Nï.com (xn--n-smb.com), was sold by Gary Palmer Jr.'s TopSellingDomains.com for $3,000 on Ebay

http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm
Thanks G. Any ideas why somebody wanted that one?
Old 16th June 2006, 05:11 PM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Thanks G. Any ideas why somebody wanted that one?

you are welcomed . I have no ideas why somebody would want it
neither why dnjournal.com is not posting the translation or the meaning ?!
Old 21st June 2006, 10:21 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure why they reported it like that.

xn--n-smb.com resolves to nο.com, not Nï.com.

Nï.com is xn--n-nga.com. And incidentally, it was actually free until about 5 minutes ago...

It probably isn't worth much, but I couldn't help but register it... Although, can someone confirm, does it mean "no" in Greek?

Seriously, though, why would the report be so wrong? And does anyone have a link to the original ebay sale?
Old 22nd June 2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainstosell
I'm not sure why they reported it like that.

xn--n-smb.com resolves to nο.com, not Nï.com.

Nï.com is xn--n-nga.com. And incidentally, it was actually free until about 5 minutes ago...

It probably isn't worth much, but I couldn't help but register it... Although, can someone confirm, does it mean "no" in Greek?

Seriously, though, why would the report be so wrong? And does anyone have a link to the original ebay sale?
haha

I hope the buyer who paid 3000$ knows what domain he got.
Old 22nd June 2006, 02:46 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Although, can someone confirm, does it mean "no" in Greek?
No in Greek is 'οχι or οχι without the tone. However, it looks like they have both been regged in the .com extension, though the .net is still available.

Alex

Old 22nd June 2006, 02:49 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:

Although, can someone confirm, does it mean "no" in Greek?
Doesn't mean anything in Greek. Although we do have the ï character in the language (actually the two upper dots on their own and they only go over the ι and υ) for pronounciation purposes.
Not used anymore though since recent governments (past 20 or so years) have tried to simplify the language.

BTW, "no" in Greek is "οχι".
Old 22nd June 2006, 02:56 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the expertise, alex and yanni. I don't really know what it means. It gets 3 million returns on Google, but some wierd results, and some odd Images. Probably not my smartest reg, but for some reason I couldn't pass it up.

The bigger question is, should we be concerned about the reporting of this IDN sale? It is incorrect info reported in a widely-used sales and industry report. On one hand, the info is erroneous. On the other hand, the actual sale was of a domain that looks like a "spoofing" IDN, one of the main complaints against IDNs...
Old 22nd June 2006, 03:40 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Spent the last 10 minutes or so trying to search for Nï on a variety of search engines, and I can't find anything that gives a definative answer to what exactly Nï means.

The fact that the name resolves to no.com, may seem a little worrying with regards to spoofing, but having checked the actual no.com, it appears that the site is "the home of .cn.com domains". Maybe the buyer of Nï.com is the owner of no.com ?? Who knows. However, I guess things like this do set off alarm bells ringing for those who see IDNs as nothing but trouble and a way to spoof "real" sites.

Also Nï.net is still available. You would have thought that someone who splashed out $3000 for the .com of the name, might want to spend an extra $8 in securing the .net as well.

Alex

Old 25th June 2006, 04:37 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

• Nïanghén, city in Senegal, population 4574
• The dance group Salia nï Seydou from the West African nation of Burkino Faso.
Old 5th July 2006, 02:55 PM

Duke is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend just pointed me to this thread. I can shed some light on this. The name that was reported sold (with accompanying price documentation) was ni.com and the i had a straight line above it. I did not notice when I cut and pasted it from the email into Front Page that the program changed the i character to one with two dots over it (the i with straight line was not in the Front Page character set so it substituted the other character). The seller told me the name meant no. Now I see from this thread there may be a spoofing issue with that name. Due to the issues involved I have deleted the domain from our report. If you see any similar issues in the future, please report them directly to me so I can look into any problems right away (editor at dnjournal.com). The expertise you guys have in IDNs can help us make sure the record is accurate.
Old 5th July 2006, 03:09 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Well it looks like someone has been mugged. The dot net is not regged because you probably can't as these mixed script registrations are no longer permitted. I would think within the next couple of years the domain will be deleted and the only compensation will be a years reg fee. Once born every minute!
Old 6th July 2006, 05:52 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
A friend just pointed me to this thread. I can shed some light on this. The name that was reported sold (with accompanying price documentation) was ni.com and the i had a straight line above it.
That would be nī.com, unless some other combining character was used.

"nī" is used in:

Latvian
Chinese pin-yin
Polynesean
Rakahanga-Manihiki
Hawaiian
Old 6th July 2006, 04:26 PM

Duke is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
That would be nī.com, unless some other combining character was used.

"nī" is used in:

Latvian
Chinese pin-yin
Polynesean
Rakahanga-Manihiki
Hawaiian
nī.com is correct
Old 6th July 2006, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
nī.com is correct
But nī.com is not correct. That is xn--n-2ja.com, and is still available.

The domain that was sold was nο.com, or xn--n-smb.com.