IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th June 2006, 07:11 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Post Diary of a mod, day 3

I thought it appropriate to post a summary of todays activities so far, it's been the usual round of bun fights, accusations and posting in sales threads.

Firstly, on the topic of the public slanging matches.

We don't use Private Messaging as much as we should, there should be no reason for public brawls, sure there's nothing wrong with a good debate, but when things get out of hand, all that happens is the mods close the thread and stem what could be a useful debate, but if you have to make it personal - take it off line. Personal issues are not to be aired on the forum.

Secondly, there were a few accusations tossed at mods earlier, so to put the record straight: sadly we are only human, and this means sometimes we will be wrong, we won't be in the right place at the right time all the time.
This may come as a surprise to you, but 3 days ago, myself and Mulligan didn't suddenly acquire magical powers that means we will always be right, and have all seeing vision in all threads.
What I am trying to say is, if you see something out of order, flag it up to a mod; posting a scathing reply is only going to inflame the situation.

Also it is worth mentioning that there are some members that have done a lot for this forum and for the industry, and sometimes quite frankly they are not treated with the respect they have earned.
But don't confuse this with being above the "law", the rules and etiquette apply to ALL.

On the subject of rules, it hasn't been stated before as a rule here, but it is common practice in other forums not to publicly post PM's. They are called private messages for a reason, so I think it's a rule we should adopt.

One member, "domainstosell", found himself unwittingly in the middle of a debate over the validity of the names he was selling - I think it worth mentioning that after speaking to them, myself and Mulligan believe that there was no bad intentions meant here, and that his reputation should not be tarnished in anyway.

And finally on to the subject of posting in sales threads. There was a classic example today. I think we should remind ourselves what we are trying to achieve; put yourself in the position of a prospective buyer.
Posting in sales threads is welcome if it is in the interests of the buyer and/or seller; but realise that it is not a competition, and we shouldn't strive to keep posting and debating and arguing trying to get it 100%.
From a prospecive buyers perspective, one justified comment from a member is enough. It is enough to raise a red a flag in the buyers mind and to prompt the buyer to do further investigation - that is all that is needed. Anymore than that, and it does not benefit the buyer, and it can only pollute the sellers thread.

rant over.

as always we welcome your comments on all this.
Old 19th June 2006, 07:56 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Diary of a mod, day 3

Of course, as a mod, you should do what you judge is right. Base on your performance, we will vote whether to give you another 4 year term :-).

Yes, once we have rules, we should follow the rules. Just need a bit time to get used to the rules, that's it.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 19th June 2006, 08:34 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Of course, as a mod, you should do what you judge is right. Base on your performance, we will vote whether to give you another 4 year term :-).
Shhhhhhh... we hadn't told them about the 4 years yet!

On a serious note, I think we are all appreciative of your and Mulligans efforts to get things going in a positive direction. The bottom line is that to a great degree we are selling "among friends" here and everyone should be able to do their part to help keep it a clean house.
Old 19th June 2006, 08:56 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
On a serious note, I think we are all appreciative of your and Mulligans efforts to get things going in a positive direction.
Hear, hear! Thank you (both) for your help and attention to matters this morning, and for your comments here. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 19th June 2006, 09:07 PM

IDN.TV is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to IDN.TV Send a message via Yahoo to IDN.TV Send a message via Skype™ to IDN.TV

Great !! I think everyone knows the common netiquette, but they just happen to make a mistake when they want to go beyond a point to prove themself right. When you are Damn sure you are right, you can just ignore a few comments and go ahead with the good spirit.

My 2 cents..

— Umberto Eco
Old 19th June 2006, 09:12 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Great job so far guys! Alpha, if you start to aggravate site users and need to buy some friends let me know
Old 20th June 2006, 01:01 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Good job guys- I do not envy you.

Not too good on any specific language, bits of many so cannot offer my services there.

I can offer translation from americanisms to english if required --oops
Old 20th June 2006, 01:39 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Alphamale: I have a BIG question, which would arise sooner or later:

You're moderating other people sells and you're also selling and buying yourself. Who moderates you?

Indeed your self-moderation puts on your shoulders the responsibility of always be absolutely fair with everyone, including your own sells. We must trust you no matter what. If that trustiness is broken, you risk being hanged by the mob, and people would loose trust in you and on the forum.
Old 20th June 2006, 01:54 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

All I can say is that you and mulligan have done a wonderful job.
Old 20th June 2006, 02:31 AM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
You're moderating other people sells and you're also selling and buying yourself. Who moderates you?
Hmm, who watches the watchers?

I would think the Mulligan could moderate Alphamale's sales and vice versa. I don't see any problems with this.
Old 20th June 2006, 02:36 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
The Beyonder?

http://www.marveldirectory.com/alienraces/watchers.htm

http://www.marveldirectory.com/indiv...b/beyonder.htm

Unless that was a reference to STNG in which case I would guess Q?

I don't have a problem with AM and Mulligan self-policing either, as they've shown themselves to be even-handed in the past.

Last edited by gammascalper; 20th June 2006 at 02:44 AM..
Old 20th June 2006, 02:43 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:

I would think the Mulligan could moderate Alphamale's sales and vice versa. I don't see any problems with this.
They are now both business partners in IDNbond.com which is a conflict of interest if they were to moderate each other's sales.
Old 20th June 2006, 02:46 AM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road

Whoops, I mis-quoted - should be: Who watches the watchmen?

Watchmen - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

But yes, I think Alpha and Mulligan are more than capable. I'm not sure I see the big problem with moderating a sales thread and running IDNbond. If a seller buyer doesn't want to use IDNbond it's their choice. There are other options.

Last edited by thefabfive; 20th June 2006 at 02:49 AM..
Old 20th June 2006, 02:47 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

I mean the obvious answer is that if there is any problems will all have eyes and pm boxes, we can simply pm Olney. He is still CEO
Old 20th June 2006, 02:54 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:

But yes, I think Alpha and Mulligan are more than capable. I'm not sure I see the big problem with moderating a sales thread and running IDNbond. If a seller buyer doesn't want to use IDNbond it's their choice. There are other options.
You were referring to Mulligan modding alphamales sales thread and vice versa so I answered your question. They have a business relationship so we'd have to depend on olney.
Old 20th June 2006, 02:59 AM
Administrator

I understand your point.

I agree with genius that the community would take exception to any perceived funny business. I guess I also don't see moderating as that critical to most sales threads.
Old 20th June 2006, 03:00 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

They are moderators. They devote their own precious time to help everyone here. They are also idners just as you and me and are entiled to sell their own domains or services to a maximum price.
Old 20th June 2006, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
They are moderators. They devote their own precious time to help everyone here. They are also idners just as you and me and are entiled to sell their own domains or services to a maximum price.
Both people are reputable sellers. I was responding to Joses question which has validity. Everyone has something to be concerned about.
Old 20th June 2006, 03:34 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:

To answer a couple of questions:

In the pecking order, Admin will moderate mods.

Yes, we are offering an Escow service, and we welcome your business and encourage you to try it, but of course you are free to use any Escrow service of your choice obviously.

All moderating is backed by a full audit control, you cannot get away with any "funny business" - everything done is recorded, never erased, just not viewable to all.