IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Browser, Mobile & Software

Browser, Mobile & Software Discussion of IDNs & browsers such as Microsoft IE, mobile cell phones, or other software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2006, 01:50 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
browsers showing native language instead of punycode - when?

Anybody know of browsers which actually show the native language domain in the browser bar rather than the punycode? Seems like the obvious "next step" to take. The xn-- version should be shown somewhere as well, but for the average web surfer, its the native language domain that needs displaying, not an encoded version of it!
Old 22nd June 2006, 01:54 PM

OldIDNer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: browsers showing native language instead of punycode - when?

IE7 does, once you enable the language. When you initially type an IDN in IE7, it will resolve in punycode however - an “A” button will appear near the browser address field. The button brings up a window entitled “International Website Address”. This lists information about the IDN, including its punycode, the language/script it uses, the name in the foreign language (Unicode) plus a link to enable the language so this way you will only see the Unicode resolve when you type in an IDN address in that language in the future.

Actually - when you type an IDN in for the first time in IE7 it will also give a popup warning that you need to change your language settings to resolve the name properly (in Native Characters) in addition to offering the "A".

Last edited by OldIDNer; 22nd June 2006 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: clarifying post
Old 22nd June 2006, 02:19 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIDNer
IE7 does, once you set the language. When you type an IDN in IE7, an “A” button appears near the browser address field. The button brings up a window entitled “International Website Address”. This lists information about the IDN, including its punycode, the language/script it uses, the name in the foreign language (Unicode) plus a link to enable the language so this way you will only see the Unicode resolve when you type in an IDN address in that language in the future.
Thanks. Yeah that works well. The weirdest thing happened. When I first typed this domain into IE7:

คอนเสิร์ต.com (concert.com)

I got a full page of relevant Thai ads, like I'd never seen before (I normally just see one).

But then I typed it again, and it went back to the one default Thai ad, the same as I have always seen in firefox. it's for "hotel bookings" and I think totally irrelevant to the domain in question:

-----------
จองโรงแรมทั่วโลกราคาพิเศษ
โรงแรมสิงค์โปร์, ฮ่องกง, มาเก๊า ฯลฯ สะดวก มั่นใจ ปลอดภัย ยืนยันได้ทันที
www.hflight.net/hotel
-----------

May have been a total coincidence, some kind of "test" by ND or google, I don't have a clue. But very weird the "real" ads came up the very first time I tried accessing the domain in IE7. Probably best to ask ND.
Old 22nd June 2006, 02:39 PM

alex is an unknown quantity at this point

Opera shows the native language in the address bar.
Old 22nd June 2006, 02:42 PM

NameDriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to NameDriver

Hmm. That is strange. I can only imagine that the implementation is still gathering speed with Google. I'll certainly get tech to look into it and see if it's an issue with ND. To help the Thai pages, we should have the Thai portal up in a couple of hours, it is currently in a live test. Korean should also be implemented at the same time.

Ed