IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > IDN Newbies

IDN Newbies IDN domain newbie questions like What is an IDN domain, what are idners, how do you use punycode, is there a Japanese sedo etc. Since this is a new market please don't hesitate to ask questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2006, 11:00 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Scientific Method for Choosing IDN Domains

I'm sitting looking through an issue of
Black Enterprise

& as I flipped through the pages of the magazine I started to think about how to apply the magazine to Domaining.

1. Grab a Business magazine (My preference when I can get it is Black Enterprise because I plan to be in their one day as the next P. Diddy of Domaining - I thought I told ya that we won't stop) anyway
2. Flip the dang thang to the back... What do you see? A Cadillac ad... Even though I really want a Lexus truck rolling on dubs I'll probably keep family tradition & get a Cadillac Escalade or a Denali & be rollin on 20's in Tokyo in a few years but... My point is you see a Car...
3. Try to think of the first most obvious words associated with that ad (LEAVE OUT THE DANG BRAND NAME)... Car, Car Parts, Car Repair, Tune up, Chick named Rhonda you met while rolling up on her & here homegerl while you were rolling in a 2006 Caddy playin "Get Low, like a 18 wheeler"... Ya get the point
4. Look through the magazine & see what the other ads are.

Try to get the most obvious domains first

These are the first 25 ads I saw

1. Mercedes Truck
2. GTX Motor Oil
3. Walmart
4. Zurich (Got no freakin clue what they do but must be making money at it)
5. Hennessey
6. Chevrolet
7. Ameriprise Financial
8. State Farm Insurance
9. GE Technology
10. Lexus
11. Movado
12. Prudential
13. UPS
14. Jaguar
15. Merril Lynch
16. Martel Cognac
17. Gillette Razors
18. Verizon Broadband
19. Toyota
20. Tiffany & Co.
21. Tequila
22. DoubleTree Hotels
23. IBM
24. GMC Yukan Denali (There it is)
25. Bermuda

I don't have domains that cover this I have some of the top terms of a few of these ads.
5. Hennessey - COGNAC.com & jp in Japanese
16. Martel Cognac - COGNAC.com & jp in Japanese
21 Tequila - I own Tequila.com in Japanese (Actually I own most alcohol types in Japanese)
22. DoubleTree Hotels - Many Japanese hotel related (especially outside of Japan destinations)
Car Ads - If I didn't sell it off I still own AutoMobileHobby.com in Japanese.

Anyway even if you can't own them in one language
Try another. Then also as someone who isn't into domaining to just tell you for each ad whast would cost the most for that industry? Or What is the most obvious related words.

Then try to find those terms.

The point of this is to make some of you focus your registrations. Commercial related domains have a higher chance of making it to the aftermarket first.

Rule of thumb - Companies or industries that advertise in national magazines have advertising budgets.

Anyway good luck

Last edited by Olney; 24th June 2006 at 06:54 AM..
Old 23rd June 2006, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: Scientific Method for Choosing IDN Domains

Zurich is a financial services firm of some sort. investment/bank or something.

Dude, forget the Caddy, get yourself a new Bentley
Old 23rd June 2006, 06:53 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Zurich is a financial services firm of some sort. investment/bank or something.

yeah Zurich co. has a large UK presence in UK insurance market - i assume they are global
Old 23rd June 2006, 07:04 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
yeah Zurich co. has a large UK presence in UK insurance market - i assume they are global
Yes, but Zurich is the largest city and Financial Capital of Switzerland. There are several large firms with Zurich in the name.
Old 23rd June 2006, 08:12 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert

I think some people will be Deciding between these Two , G4 Private Jet vs The Maybach.... If gas Keeps going to the Moon I will Settle with the Maybach :} .... They both have Airplane Seats

G4 Private Jet

VS

The MayBach

Old 23rd June 2006, 09:16 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=thegenius1]I think some people will be Deciding between these Two , G4 Private Jet vs The Maybach.... If gas Keeps going to the Moon I will Settle with the Maybach :} .... They both have Airplane Seats

ATTENTION FIRST TIME GUESTS TO IDNF.... who might be reading this and inclined to jump in and bash and criticize these seemingly gosh and greedy Americans, Brits, Australians etc. etc. :

We are slipping into more fun and fantasy, known as "pantomime"...just humor and fun. Relax, enjoy, and feel free to add to the outrageous. There is no limits to 'your' fantasy in this game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantomime

Last edited by bwhhisc; 23rd June 2006 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 24th June 2006, 08:17 AM

JColson is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Scientific Method for Choosing IDN Domains

[QUOTE=bwhhisc]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
I think some people will be Deciding between these Two , G4 Private Jet vs The Maybach.... If gas Keeps going to the Moon I will Settle with the Maybach :} .... They both have Airplane Seats

ATTENTION FIRST TIME GUESTS TO IDNF.... who might be reading this and inclined to jump in and bash and criticize these seemingly gosh and greedy Americans, Brits, Australians etc. etc. :

We are slipping into more fun and fantasy, known as "pantomime"...just humor and fun. Relax, enjoy, and feel free to add to the outrageous. There is no limits to 'your' fantasy in this game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantomime
Excellent, some humour! Thanks Bill for clarifying what was happening - wouldn't want an action replay of the boat related massacre!
Old 24th June 2006, 10:46 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=JColson]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc

Excellent, some humour! Thanks Bill for clarifying what was happening - wouldn't want an action replay of the boat related massacre!
But you can keep the yacht anyway! I understand they modified the helicopter pad to accomodate 'his and hers' parasailing takeoff system. lol

Last edited by bwhhisc; 24th June 2006 at 10:50 AM..
Old 25th June 2006, 02:00 PM

jaik is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I'm sitting looking through an issue of
Black Enterprise

& as I flipped through the pages of the magazine I started to think about how to apply the magazine to Domaining.

1. Grab a Business magazine (My preference when I can get it is Black Enterprise because I plan to be in their one day as the next P. Diddy of Domaining - I thought I told ya that we won't stop) anyway
2. Flip the dang thang to the back... What do you see? A Cadillac ad... Even though I really want a Lexus truck rolling on dubs I'll probably keep family tradition & get a Cadillac Escalade or a Denali & be rollin on 20's in Tokyo in a few years but... My point is you see a Car...
3. Try to think of the first most obvious words associated with that ad (LEAVE OUT THE DANG BRAND NAME)... Car, Car Parts, Car Repair, Tune up, Chick named Rhonda you met while rolling up on her & here homegerl while you were rolling in a 2006 Caddy playin "Get Low, like a 18 wheeler"... Ya get the point
4. Look through the magazine & see what the other ads are.

Try to get the most obvious domains first

These are the first 25 ads I saw

1. Mercedes Truck
2. GTX Motor Oil
3. Walmart
4. Zurich (Got no freakin clue what they do but must be making money at it)
5. Hennessey
6. Chevrolet
7. Ameriprise Financial
8. State Farm Insurance
9. GE Technology
10. Lexus
11. Movado
12. Prudential
13. UPS
14. Jaguar
15. Merril Lynch
16. Martel Cognac
17. Gillette Razors
18. Verizon Broadband
19. Toyota
20. Tiffany & Co.
21. Tequila
22. DoubleTree Hotels
23. IBM
24. GMC Yukan Denali (There it is)
25. Bermuda

I don't have domains that cover this I have some of the top terms of a few of these ads.
5. Hennessey - COGNAC.com & jp in Japanese
16. Martel Cognac - COGNAC.com & jp in Japanese
21 Tequila - I own Tequila.com in Japanese (Actually I own most alcohol types in Japanese)
22. DoubleTree Hotels - Many Japanese hotel related (especially outside of Japan destinations)
Car Ads - If I didn't sell it off I still own AutoMobileHobby.com in Japanese.

Anyway even if you can't own them in one language
Try another. Then also as someone who isn't into domaining to just tell you for each ad whast would cost the most for that industry? Or What is the most obvious related words.

Then try to find those terms.

The point of this is to make some of you focus your registrations. Commercial related domains have a higher chance of making it to the aftermarket first.

Rule of thumb - Companies or industries that advertise in national magazines have advertising budgets.

Anyway good luck
can you describe these technique or tips little more in simple way or method
sometimes gets confused whats to do?

if you can give step by step instructions on these that would be really great and helpful for newbies like us
Old 25th June 2006, 02:10 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'll try to clear it up for you guys...
Old 25th June 2006, 02:24 PM

Prodigy is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha, I flip through business journals, flyers and pretty much any media I can get ahold of at the time... local fashion and trend magazines are great for coming up with ideas and concepts.