IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th June 2006, 01:42 PM

drbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished road
Future of mobile internet v/s computer internet??

I believe the mode of accessing internet will have a great bearing on the future of IDNs. Most of us today, I guess, assume that internet in future would primarily be accessed using a conventional computer like what is there today. Can a phone effectively supplement the role of a conventional computer? My sense is that in the near future a phone could potentially double up as a good computing device which may allow better internet user experience compared to what exists today. I feel this is an important issue that merits a discussion here. Few points that may be considered as a starter,

How effectively internet can be accessed from mobile phones/devices as of today? How is the experience generally? Are people comfortable accessing internet through their phones? How will this change in future ~ 5 years down the line?

I would be curious to hear from you all on this aspect as this might throw some light in part on the possible potential of different IDN markets?
Old 25th June 2006, 01:52 PM

Prodigy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Future of mobile internet v/s computer internet??

You've hit the nail on the head. In Japan, people access the internet through their phones on a daily basis for both e-mail and education. They even have sqaure "codes" for easy access.

Hey, people even have navigation devices built into the the basic models over here (AU). They also use their handphones to purchase items at certain locations and as a train pass.

In 5 years, skys the limit.
Old 25th June 2006, 02:04 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

China and Korea as well I believe.
Old 25th June 2006, 02:16 PM

drbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished road

Interesting!

How do people use their phones for education on the net? Isn't the phone screen/keypad small enough for their comfort? And, what kind of education are you talking about?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaStar
You've hit the nail on the head. In Japan, people access the internet through their phones on a daily basis for both e-mail and education. They even have sqaure "codes" for easy access.

Hey, people even have navigation devices built into the the basic models over here (AU). They also use their handphones to purchase items at certain locations and as a train pass.

In 5 years, skys the limit.
If "phone internet" becomes pervasive then I clearly see that IDNs of all tech savvy countries getting valuable in course of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
China and Korea as well I believe.

Last edited by drbiohealth; 25th June 2006 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 25th June 2006, 02:20 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbiohealth
Interesting!

How do people use their phones for education on the net? Isn't the phone screen/keypad small enough for their comfort? And, what kind of education are you talking about?

Thanks.
Information density in Chinese Hanzi and Japanese Kanji is huge compared with English or Hindi. We would need screens 4 times the size to get the same effect.
Old 25th June 2006, 02:22 PM

You can do a gazillion things on a phone here... wow... wher to start. Language Education started on the Nintendo and Playstation portbale systems and its moving on to cell phones now. They surf for information and directions and pretty much everything.

All the Japanese I work with however, even in the office, do not use type ins, unless its a portal site

its too hard for them to spell out english words which is why i have a tight feeling that this JUST MIGHT work.

They don't type anything in English on computers... not even into the search engine bar.
Old 25th June 2006, 02:24 PM

Then, how do chinese phone keypads look like...do they contain all their alphabets? I have seen hindi mobile phones, they contain almost the complete alphabet set on their keypads.

Quote:
Information density in Chinese Hanzi and Japanese Kanji is huge compared with English or Hindi. We would need screens 4 times the size to get the same effect.
Old 25th June 2006, 02:30 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You know ChinaStar this is the ONE HUGE thing that makes me keep registering IDN Domains. I too keep this in the forfront of reasons why Japanese need IDN Domains.

People (Not members here) have a huge misunderstanding that since Japanese like to study English they actually function in English too.

Typing in the URL will happen only with IDN Domains...

Quote:
All the Japanese I work with however, even in the office, do not use type ins, unless its a portal site

its too hard for them to spell out english words which is why i have a tight feeling that this JUST MIGHT work.

They don't type anything in English on computers... not even into the search engine bar.
Old 25th June 2006, 02:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbiohealth
Then, how do chinese phone keypads look like...do they contain all their alphabets? I have seen hindi mobile phones, they contain almost the complete alphabet set on their keypads.
You can input Chinese in a number of ways. You can use Latin Keyboard to input Pinyin. There are special Chinese or Wubi keyboards that look much like a Querty Keyboard from which you compile the characters with combinations of upto 5 Keystokes. Chinese characters are completely different from Alphabetic characters, so input methods will be different. I guess with Indic scripts because most characters are combinations of a constant and a vowel, it may be possible as an alternative to having a key for each constant to use a shift key in combination with the constanants, thereby reducing the alphabet to about the same size as Latin.
Old 25th June 2006, 02:33 PM

Hey buddy, your preaching to the converted

One thing that people have to keep in mind as well is that the Japanese consumer is also the most aestheically senstive consumer as well. Beauty and aethetics are everything here. Beautiful names are more memorable than functional names in terms of concept development.

I have a Director here that searches everytime he needs to go to the Train schedule website... even though the website's name is in Japanese. Just tells you how much they need a comprehensible type-in system,
Old 25th June 2006, 02:44 PM

Let me get this clear. As I understand there are two things here, i) e-services that are provided by the mobile operator himself, and ii) actual internet surfing. E-services provided by the operator may have 100s of features including education, navigation, weather, ticket booking, hotel booking etc. However, these e-services are not relevant to us all as the content generally is pushed by the operator. On the contrary, what is relevant to us is to note how users go to any site of their choice. Have you seen, for example, people playing poker at say partypoker dot com or any other such site. Or, have you seen people buying books from amazon and others? If this is the case then its cool. I am not sure which of these two (e-services/internet surfing) you were refering to when you talked about education.

Quote:
You can do a gazillion things on a phone here... wow... wher to start. Language Education started on the Nintendo and Playstation portbale systems and its moving on to cell phones now. They surf for information and directions and pretty much everything.
I guess you meant keypad of the phone when you said "keyboard". Phones in India have an option to work with hindi (or any local) with nearly all hindi letters inscribed on the keys of the phone keypad. Actually its fairly easy to use these phones for sending messages.

Quote:
You can input Chinese in a number of ways. You can use Latin Keyboard to input Pinyin. There are special Chinese or Wubi keyboards that look much like a Querty Keyboard from which you compile the characters with combinations of upto 5 Keystokes. Chinese characters are completely different from Alphabetic characters, so input methods will be different. I guess with Indic scripts because most characters are combinations of a constant and a vowel, it may be possible as an alternative to having a key for each constant to use a shift key in combination with the constanants, thereby reducing the alphabet to about the same size as Latin.

Last edited by drbiohealth; 25th June 2006 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 25th June 2006, 03:02 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, since you know both japanese and chinese, do you think chinese are more comfortable with abc.com due to pinyin?
Old 25th June 2006, 03:26 PM

I think that if you had an abc in hanyupinyin that would be good... I have my bases covered

I actually have abt 100 sites in hanyupinyin for .com that I registered at the start of this year...

Im not sure how far this idn.com will go, but it's good to see so much opportunity!