IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2006, 09:57 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
學.jp

學.jp

Comments welcome.
Old 29th June 2006, 10:07 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: 學.jp

Can I ask what is it? Is it a place?
Old 29th June 2006, 10:09 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Traditional Kanji 學
Modern Japanese, Simplified Chinese 学

[EN] learning; scholarship; erudition; knowledge
[JP] 学 [がく] ← ✿ n.

What I'm thinking is the old version may have some snob appeal.
Old 29th June 2006, 10:12 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Seems to be Chinese as well.

The term seems to mean Learn or Study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Traditional Kanji 學
Modern Japanese, Simplified Chinese 学

[EN] learning; scholarship; erudition; knowledge
[JP] 学 [がく] ← ✿ n.

What I'm thinking is the old version may have some snob appeal.
I think that is something that will come out more and more as time goes on.

I think there will be a major potential in Branding non-simplified forms. There may even be a major TM advantage as the PRC may permit branding of Traditional Forms, where Simplified forms would be considered Generic.

Traditional Forms appear to give the same SEO advantages as Simplfied forms.

We have quite a few Chinese Cities in their Traditional Form, most of which didn't character map for blocking purposes. I am not convinced that Cities that have been in existence for thousands of years will not in many cases wish to revert to their historical representations.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 29th June 2006 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 29th June 2006, 10:22 AM
A.W.O.L

My honest opinion would be...
I'm not sure about the immediate commercial value of kanji that is not commonly used anymore.

As a word I couldn't find it quickly on an online dictionary.

I've studied kanji for a while & I too have a few that have no big commercial value but either I just like the kanji or term. Youy seem to have studied a lot about the language & this might have been your reason for regging.

It's like on DNF where someone wants a dictionary term & someone throws out a word only you hear in the national finals of a third grade spelling bee.

I think also Google just sees this as the simpler form...

Not saying it's bad at all, It's good if it's for a personal collection. After the market is fully open though, who knows. I'm not sure how long ago that kanji went out of use. (This only applies to the Japanese market)
Old 29th June 2006, 10:24 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
My honest opinion would be...
I'm not sure about the immediate commercial value of kanji that is not commonly used anymore.

As a word I couldn't find it quickly on an online dictionary.

I've studied kanji for a while & I too have a few that have no big commercial value but either I just like the kanji or term. Youy seem to have studied a lot about the language & this might have been your reason for regging.

It's like on DNF where someone wants a dictionary term & someone throws out a word only you hear in the national finals of a third grade spelling bee.

I think also Google just sees this as the simpler form...

Not saying it's bad at all, It's good if it's for a personal collection. After the market is fully open though, who knows. I'm not sure how long ago that kanji went out of use.
It is unlikely to be a total disaster as I think it is still widely used in Taiwan.
Old 29th June 2006, 10:28 AM
A.W.O.L

Yeah I added the note that it only applies to the Japanese market.
There is a chance that kanji still used by other Asian countries has more potential.
Old 29th June 2006, 10:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Not saying it's bad at all, It's good if it's for a personal collection. After the market is fully open though, who knows. I'm not sure how long ago that kanji went out of use. (This only applies to the Japanese market)
I spoke to a Japanese friend before reging, and went through the entire list of 200+ kanji that were simplified after WWII, and registered some of the better ones with some OVT and Google.

What I found out also was that some of these are used in names of restaurants, shops, and such, for unique branding value.

For example, I found restaurant called 圓 EN that uses the traditional character for 円 EN (YEN).

Many traditional (read: old money) places have kept the pre-WWII names and continue to use them when they appear on the web.

One good example of the use of old kanji today is Yahoo Japan's use of 櫻 SAKURA in its categories, while the dictionary gives 桜. This was actually taken before I got to register the list of old Kanji.

One other possible use I see for this is a website targeting people from outside of Japan who still use Traditional characters.

I'd be very intersted in hearing as many opinions on this as possible however.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 29th June 2006 at 10:36 AM..
Old 29th June 2006, 10:48 AM
Banned

idn1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
I'd be very intersted in hearing as many opinions on this as possible however.
I think I can see where you are coming from
with this one... By and large, I agree with Olney
but this particular term may be exceptional because
it is prob one of only a handful of terms that could be
used to relate to the study of kanji, and so the
promotion of the domain may be justified.

Not a massive appeal, but could perhaps be one
for targeting a specific audience....
Old 29th June 2006, 10:53 AM
Veteran

Thanks for the feedback.

Just noticed a native Japanese registered http://大學.jp/ (university) and has a site up.