IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > Русские Доменные Имена

Русские Доменные Имена Discussion on native Russian IDN domain names

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2006, 11:28 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
So you think Russia is an ureformed Cold War Economy?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5129662.stm
Old 30th June 2006, 11:32 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: So you think Russia is an ureformed Cold War Economy?

Looking good for рубли.com.
Old 30th June 2006, 11:35 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Looking good for рубли.com.
Well will a non-convertible Rouble is wasn't worth jack sh*t. Now you are Golden as long as they don't go for a change of name as well!
Old 30th June 2006, 11:40 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

damn.

the value of yours goes up, and my долг.com goes down

edit: never mind, i found this рубли.net at the bottom of the sack.

phew!

Last edited by alpha; 30th June 2006 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 30th June 2006, 12:16 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

My impression is that Russia reformed too quickly, resulting in massive theft of state wealth, creation of a ridulous number of billionaires in comparison to the size of the economy and these people are desperate sending money out of the country, benefiting other countries, in particular, the UK. :o And now, the Russian economy is primarily sustained by oil exports and other natural resources which it has in abundance.
Old 30th June 2006, 12:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
My impression is that Russia reformed too quickly, resulting in massive theft of state wealth, creation of a ridulous number of billionaires in comparison to the size of the economy and these people are desperate sending money out of the country, benefiting other countries, in particular, the UK. :o And now, the Russian economy is primarily sustained by oil exports and other natural resources which it has in abundance.
That might well be the case. It would seem that Russia is succeeding inspite of the quality of its economic governance, rather than because of it. This would suggest that things can only get better! Yes Russia has one of the greatest endowments of natural resouces anywhere in the world. Those resources are much more at a premium in the Modern World than Skilled Workforces, or even Professional Services. I would think that Russian oriented investment, has to be a sure fire winner in the medium term. Stating otherwise is a bit like predicting the demise of Saudi Arabia, due to a lack of good husbandry.

Last edited by alpha; 30th June 2006 at 12:33 PM..
Old 30th June 2006, 12:50 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

I tried typing рубли into a couple different dictionaries and they all returned not found. When I type in ruble I get рубль. What is the difference between рубли and рубль? Which one is prefered? They both seem to have similar Yandex scores as far as I can tell.
Old 30th June 2006, 12:54 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho
I tried typing рубли into a couple different dictionaries and they all returned not found. When I type in ruble I get рубль. What is the difference between рубли and рубль? Which one is prefered? They both seem to have similar Yandex scores as far as I can tell.
рубли - plural
рубль - singular
Old 30th June 2006, 12:55 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

рубли means Roubles
рубль means Rouble

I prefer рубли, the more the better.
Old 30th June 2006, 12:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
рубли - plural
рубль - singular
My Russian must be improving. I actually got that without reference to a dictionary!
Old 30th June 2006, 12:59 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
My Russian must be improving. I actually got that without reference to a dictionary!
i thought the "bl" that is actually a single letter in Russian makes it plural?

oh well whatever, i got lucky this time.
Old 30th June 2006, 01:02 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Thanks! Learning about the different languages is half the fun. This is pretty basic stuff but I wouldn't have known if I didn't ask.
Old 30th June 2006, 01:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale

oh well whatever, i got lucky this time.
I think it depends on gender what endings you get to make the plural. Yes you are right about the "double" character. I think that might be used on masculine nouns?
Old 30th June 2006, 01:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Ы is actually made up of Ъ and I and was written separately a long time ago as ЪІ. I is equivalent to И.

I is no longer used in Russian, but remains only as part of the letter Ы.

Ъ is a sign of depalatization and also separates the preceding consonant from combining with the vowel that follows it.

Ы is therefore a depalatized variant of И.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 30th June 2006 at 01:14 PM..
Old 30th June 2006, 01:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Ы is actually made up of Ъ and I. I is equivalent to И.
I think I will quit while I am ahead! LOL
Old 30th June 2006, 01:08 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Ы is actually made up of Ъ and I. I is equivalent to И.
ok.

We laugh and we joke about Dynamite regging, but I have to say this is the only language that I have used crates of the stuff.

After my first regging run in Russian, I got it all validated by a native, and found 25% was junk due to this male female noun, not a noun, a plural noun, a female noun in male dress etc..

I don't mean to poke fun, but it really is confusing, and Dynamite or Russian Language lessons are the only cure if you want to end up with a few good names.
Old 30th June 2006, 01:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
ok.

We laugh and we joke about Dynamite regging, but I have to say this is the only language that I have used crates of the stuff.

After my first regging run in Russian, I got it all validated by a native, and found 25% was junk due to this male female noun, not a noun, a plural noun, a female noun in male dress etc..

I don't mean to poke fun, but it really is confusing, and Dynamite or Russian Language lessons are the only cure if you want to end up with a few good names.
Russian is not unique in this respect. In many ways it is English that is the oddity as apart from from the third person singular we have dropped all persons, cases and gender agreements. Russian, follows to a large degree similar rules to Latin.
Old 30th June 2006, 01:19 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Russian is not unique in this respect. In many ways it is English that is the oddity as apart from from the third person singular we have dropped all persons, cases and gender agreements. Russian, follows to a large degree similar rules to Latin.
oh believe me, I would rather be English battling away at Russian, than be Russian scratching my head over English..

.. but the trouble is that I am English, and I know English, but I haven't got the foggiest about Russian.

and to make matters worse - what the deal with that Russian Yandex OVT tool. It shows me words that are "invalid" in the sense that I have been told they are junk, yet a zillion people type them in... apprarently.

.. it think the results that are shown cannot simply be what is being searched on, as everyone of them would make a good domain name. And i can't have been the first person to see a word on there with a big number, reg it and find out its "invalid". luckily I learnt this lesson soon fairly quickly.
Old 30th June 2006, 01:19 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

What I can't understand is why Russian IDNs have the best type-in traffic by far. Will the leadership continue after the IE7 is out?
Old 30th June 2006, 01:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Exactly. Plus there are special ending that make words sound cute, rude, and so on. So there is a huge number of possible registrations.