IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > IDN Newbies

IDN Newbies IDN domain newbie questions like What is an IDN domain, what are idners, how do you use punycode, is there a Japanese sedo etc. Since this is a new market please don't hesitate to ask questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2006, 10:54 AM

paddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Newbie Hi's & Introductions...

Hi all IDNFers,

Just discovered and signed up to this fantastic forum for IDNs. Was looking for a thread to say hi as a newbie but couldnt find one, so here we are...

(Hopefully other newbies will contribute and share their intros. MODS: If this post is not in the appropriate section, appreciate if you can move it pls.)

Unlike many members here, i've only been domaining a couple of years and most of that time has been stuck in valueless Grade D english dotcoms. So IDNs are a real breath of fresh air and hopefully it's not too late in the game to be categorized as a "johnny come lately"... although it is now pretty late for the Grade A IDNs.

This forum is amazing and it is great to see the experienced IDNers share their knowledge and resources so openly... thank you all. Thanks to the mods and owners of IDNF too.

Good luck to everyone in their hunt for IDNs,

paddy
Old 5th July 2006, 11:05 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Newbie Hi's & Introductions...

Hi Paddy.

Welcome. Yes, it is getting a bit late in the day for new regging Grade A IDN unless you have exceptional language skills but some language are a lot less bought than others. India has not been high on most people's list because most still seem to believe that it is an English Speaking country. That is the area that many are now turning their attentions.

Chinese is mostly played out but you can still get excellent bargains from the Chinese Flippers that appear here in large numbers.

Grade A domains are available in the secondary market. These are of course comparatively expensive, but very cheap if you compare with ASCII equivalents. The Mods run their own Escrow Service and there are plenty on here that will give you help and advice if you need it. We have our odd bust up, the general ethos is much friendlier than in the ASCII world. Perhaps things are just a bit less dog eat dog at the moment.

RD

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy
Hi all IDNFers,

Just discovered and signed up to this fantastic forum for IDNs. Was looking for a thread to say hi as a newbie but couldnt find one, so here we are...

(Hopefully other newbies will contribute and share their intros. MODS: If this post is not in the appropriate section, appreciate if you can move it pls.)

Unlike many members here, i've only been domaining a couple of years and most of that time has been stuck in valueless Grade D english dotcoms. So IDNs are a real breath of fresh air and hopefully it's not too late in the game to be categorized as a "johnny come lately"... although it is now pretty late for the Grade A IDNs.

This forum is amazing and it is great to see the experienced IDNers share their knowledge and resources so openly... thank you all. Thanks to the mods and owners of IDNF too.

paddy
Old 5th July 2006, 11:42 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Hi Paddy,

Welcome. I too am a 2 month IDN newbie and after a false start have picked up what I hope are some gems.

Just a few in Chinese & Japanese but have had most success with Thai which had been hammered but relativley lightly in comparison to the mainstream.

Domain Guru is the Thai master, here anyway, but I have still managed to get names that translate to fruit, engineering, electricity, iptv, ip and quite a few others.

Good luck
Old 5th July 2006, 11:44 AM

drbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished road

IMHO, lack of interest might be more due to the lack of reliable translation resources. Welcome on board, Paddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Hi Paddy.

India has not been high on most people's list because most still seem to believe that it is an English Speaking country. That is the area that many are now turning their attentions.

RD
Old 5th July 2006, 11:46 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Hi all IDNFers,

paddy
Hi Paddy, and welcome.

Can I ask how you came to find us?
Old 5th July 2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
Hi Paddy, and welcome.

Can I ask how you came to find us?

Hi Alphamale- since discovering IDNF some 48hrs ago, there has been an absolute overload of information (as you can imagine), to the point where i'm not sure how i found this place initially ... DNF i guess, but then its not supposed to be mentioned there, so possibly a referral.

Hi drbiohealth / Hi Wot- thanks for your responses... it seems everyone is carving their own niche here.

Hi RD- unfortunately my language skills are far from exceptional. More unfortunate is probably that the Grade A's are gone as i was hoping that there may be a few pebbles left unturned. Tks for the welcome, look forward to joining the IDNF community where hopefully there's no dog eating
Old 5th July 2006, 02:49 PM

jaik is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jaik

hi paddy,
welcome to idn forum.
i am also a newbie like you who discovered idn recently.i am also learning more about idn from this site and threads here
btw,where are you from
good luck
bye,
jaik
Old 5th July 2006, 02:55 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbiohealth
IMHO, lack of interest might be more due to the lack of reliable translation resources. Welcome on board, Paddy!
Translation resources have been a problem, but this has also protected this market from over exploitation. Some ingenuity here could pay rewards.
Old 5th July 2006, 03:20 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
More unfortunate is probably that the Grade A's are gone as i was hoping that there may be a few pebbles left unturned.
Welcome Paddy.

And while the grade A's may mostly be gone there are certainly some grade B's lying around. It is definitely not too late to build a good IDN portfolio. The two pieces of advice I can give are: Don't believe every translation you get and use ALL the tools available to check out potential names.

Good luck.
Old 5th July 2006, 03:30 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

Welcome Paddy,

I'll second fab and others by saying: be patient with your regs and research, and make sure you exhaust every tool available to you in your work for finding domains. Also, don't get discouraged as you will almost certainly register some bad domains now and again (it happens to almost everyone).

IDNing can be a lot of work and frustration, but it can also pay off very nicely.

Good luck!
Old 6th July 2006, 01:34 AM

drbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished road

Absolutely!

I am dead sure I would not be in a place in Indian IDN where I am today if,

1. proper Indic translations were available before I entered IDNs, OR
2. other Indians were in the scene before I was.

Imagine how it was like when I saw the equivalent of car dot com available in hindi...

Contrast the above two points with languages like, Chinese and Japanese!

Cheers!

Paddy, my suggestion to you would be to first go in for the language you know/are comfortable with. As they say, its always better to be king of a small place than to be nobody in a big place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Translation resources have been a problem, but this has also protected this market from over exploitation. Some ingenuity here could pay rewards.
Old 6th July 2006, 01:16 PM

Thanks for all your kind welcomes, this really is a friendly place.

Have been busy researhing the tools etc, but really couldnt resist popping the cherry.

消脂.com (been told this is a variation of diet /weight loss)

- did i just waste 6.95?
Old 6th July 2006, 01:55 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to forum,

I like it, IMO I think it is a keeper. Some of the senior members can give you a accurate assement, The diet industry spends alot of money each year on ads. btw can anyone get to google.cn (I went to check to see if any ads popped up and got sent to google.com, whats up)

Also, I regged alot of bad names and I don't think I am alone. So don't get discouraged if some are not stars.

tee1
Old 6th July 2006, 02:12 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:

Have been busy researhing the tools etc, but really couldnt resist popping the cherry.

- did i just waste 6.95?
You like to start in the deepend!!

It's traditional and Simple Chinese

My opinion for what it's worth:

Traditional overture 222 - Not high

Has no results in google trends: http://www.google.com/trends?q=%E6%B6%88%E8%84%82 - not a good sign

Google results are low at 600k and 200k on Baidu, although Baidu does show a couple of ads for health related stuff

My translators show it meaning Fat reduction or something similar

Google Images shows some pic's of pills and healthy food, so it's a good sign http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...ch&sa=N&tab=wi

So all in all, from some of the tools and metrics available - I'd say - not bad.

For a first IDN - i'd say pretty good!
Old 6th July 2006, 02:16 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

- did i just waste 6.95?
Hi Paddy, welcome!

消脂.com is a good name. It means literally "taking off fat", similar to 减肥. 消脂 is often used with diet foods or drinks, so it can also mean "diet /weight loss".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1
btw can anyone get to google.cn (I went to check to see if any ads popped up and got sent to google.com, whats up)
I can access google.cn from Canada.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@