IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Browser, Mobile & Software

Browser, Mobile & Software Discussion of IDNs & browsers such as Microsoft IE, mobile cell phones, or other software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th July 2006, 05:08 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough
Windows 98 Scrapped!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5164450.stm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...pinion/columns

<<<Microsoft pulls the plug on Windows 98, 98 Second Edition and Millennium Edition today: no more bug fixes, no more technical support, no more nothing.>>>

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 11th July 2006 at 05:17 PM..
Old 11th July 2006, 05:42 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Windows 98 Scrapped!

I guess an automatic update to IE7 is a must then :-)
Old 11th July 2006, 05:45 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
I guess an automatic update to IE7 is a must then :-)
This is a prelude to killing IE 6.0.

None of these operating systems was ever going to support IE 7.0.

Microsoft has killed them off. The death of IE 6.0 will be announced shortly. Everyone is going to IE 7.0 very soon. That is why the guy on the blog was so cagey about Auto Updates. If he said too much he would have stolen Bill's Thunder.
Old 11th July 2006, 05:49 PM

Yep, IE6 will be dead soon, as it won't work with the new Office or any other MS products. Funny, the announcement doesn't give folks all that much time to do things.
Old 11th July 2006, 05:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Yep, IE6 will be dead soon, as it won't work with the new Office or any other MS products. Funny, the announcement doesn't give folks all that much time to do things.
Well they don't have to do anything. They have just received their last update, and that will of course include IE 6.0 updates. As soon as a new threat emerges these people are in serious trouble. Having said that, it is a bit like trying run a Taxis service using Trotter's 3 Wheeler Van!

I guess the reason that they haven't been given much time is simply because there isn't much time, and Microsoft haven't got the manpower to waste on Windows 98 or IE 6.0. I guess they are a bit sheepish to say so, but I reckon the last update has actually been delivered here as well. Nobody needs to be told with IE 6.0, with Windows 98, they are basically going to have to go out and buy a new system. It just a shame that the Vista option is still not yet on offer!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 11th July 2006 at 05:58 PM..
Old 11th July 2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well they don't have to do anything. They have just received their last update, and that will of course include IE 6.0 updates. As soon as a new threat emerges these people are in serious trouble. Having said that, it is a bit like trying run a Taxis service using Trotter's 3 Wheeler Van!

I am hoping for a non-event, actually. Wake up, turn on my computer, see "new updates are ready to be installed" .... what are the chances of that?
Old 11th July 2006, 05:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I am hoping for a non-event, actually. Wake up, turn on my computer, see "new updates are ready to be installed" .... what are the chances of that?
That is more or less what happened with IE 6.0 if I remember correctly.
Old 11th July 2006, 06:12 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The Chinese would say "as real as pearl", because pearl has the same pronounciation as the word "real"

Congrats, but I have prepared well for any good news to come. It doesn't matter to me if the good news come next month or 3 months later, it's all the same -- we are all happy!

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 11th July 2006, 06:13 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

From the IE7 Chat in June:

Chris Wilson [MS] (Expert):
Q: Will IE be updated through Microsoft Update or own auto-update system? And will there be added support for CSS 3 in the future?
A: IE will be updated through Microsoft Update, as it currently is. And yes, I expect we will add support for some CSS3 specifications in the future, as they become recommendations.

Old 11th July 2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
The Chinese would say "as real as pearl", because pearl has the same pronounciation as the word "real"

Congrats, but I have prepared well for any good news to come. It doesn't matter to me if the good news come next month or 3 months later, it's all the same -- we are all happy!
That's very true. I am guilty sometimes of being impatient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
From the IE7 Chat in June:

Chris Wilson [MS] (Expert):
Q: Will IE be updated through Microsoft Update or own auto-update system? And will there be added support for CSS 3 in the future?
A: IE will be updated through Microsoft Update, as it currently is. And yes, I expect we will add support for some CSS3 specifications in the future, as they become recommendations.

Thanks, nice find.
That will be a hell of a morning :-)

Last edited by Explorer; 11th July 2006 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11th July 2006, 06:26 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Another quote from Chris Wilson (June 15th):

The big question every web designer is asking, is how long before they can drop support for IE 6.
Well that depends on how fast IE 7 is rolled out. It sounds like this will happen fairly fast because it will be included as part of the windows update. It also looks like it will be a high priority update because of all of the security fixes. In short Microsoft will be pushing IE7 as hard as possible.

http://www.boagworld.com/archives/20...nd_beyond.html

Last edited by alpha; 11th July 2006 at 06:32 PM..
Old 11th July 2006, 06:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
Another quote from Chris Wilson (June 15th):

The big question every web designer is asking, is how long before they can drop support for IE 6.
Well that depends on how fast IE 7 is rolled out. It sounds like this will happen fairly fast because it will be included as part of the windows update. It also looks like it will be a high priority update because of all of the security fixes. In short Microsoft will be pushing IE7 as hard as possible.

http://www.boagworld.com/archives/20...nd_beyond.html

I think you have actually seen your last IE 6.0 update. It is just a little too early to go public.

This really is it, chaps. Get ready for some real action!

PS

IE 7.0 has gone Beta 3.0 Japan, Russia and China

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 11th July 2006 at 06:42 PM..