IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Browser, Mobile & Software

Browser, Mobile & Software Discussion of IDNs & browsers such as Microsoft IE, mobile cell phones, or other software

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12th July 2006, 10:43 AM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4486
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
EU give M$ Hard Whack!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5171126.stm
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 05:52 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2655
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Way to go.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 08:16 AM
burnsinternet's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: http://idn.icann.org
Posts: 2,238
iTrader: (15)
Rep Power: 697
burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

As long as they can finish Vista, I don't care.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 09:56 AM
rhys's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,044
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 681
rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

In the interest of fairness, I find that Microsoft is the victim here.

Microsoft bent over backwards to meet the requirements of the EU ruling. The EU refused to clarify what it meant by "appropriate technical documentation" - several hundred microsoft employees were deployed to put together an enormous technical specifications document to provide transparency to potential competitors. The EU took over 9 months to even make a comment that Microsoft's submission was inadequate. Again they refused to provide more concrete guidance as to what would be considered "adequate". Hopefully, a resolution will be found to this dilemma soon because it is in no ones interest.

The EU also ordered that a version of XP be made for the market which did not bundle in Media Player. Microsoft pulled significant resources away from other projects to do this and brought the new SKU quickly to market. It has barely sold a single copy. Is this what the EU considers a "win" for its consumers? It certainly isn't a win for EU citizens who are Microsoft shareholders.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 11:57 AM
domainguru's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,835
iTrader: (14)
Rep Power: 2493
domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
In the interest of fairness, I find that Microsoft is the victim here.

Microsoft bent over backwards to meet the requirements of the EU ruling. The EU refused to clarify what it meant by "appropriate technical documentation" - several hundred microsoft employees were deployed to put together an enormous technical specifications document to provide transparency to potential competitors. The EU took over 9 months to even make a comment that Microsoft's submission was inadequate. Again they refused to provide more concrete guidance as to what would be considered "adequate". Hopefully, a resolution will be found to this dilemma soon because it is in no ones interest.

The EU also ordered that a version of XP be made for the market which did not bundle in Media Player. Microsoft pulled significant resources away from other projects to do this and brought the new SKU quickly to market. It has barely sold a single copy. Is this what the EU considers a "win" for its consumers? It certainly isn't a win for EU citizens who are Microsoft shareholders.
In the interest of "fairness", isn't it true that Ryhs works for Microsoft?

I'm not going to get into a big debate, but as someone who has followed the practices of Microsoft since it was peddling Windows 3.0, to accuse that organziation of being a "victim" of anything is pretty laughable.

Are you seriously telling me that consumers stopped buying Windows XP because it didn't have WMP bundled? Give me a break - you can download it for nothing from the Microsoft website if you really want it that bad.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 12:03 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4486
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

Yes, the only software I am interest in is IE 7.0. Issue of this will be more about relief than gratitude. They have cornered the market and then exhibited wanton neglect. This behaviour seems to form part of a pattern. Anyone that stands up against monopolization of the software market has my support.


Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
In the interest of "fairness", isn't it true that Ryhs works for Microsoft?

I'm not going to get into a big debate, but as someone who has followed the practices of Microsoft since it was peddling Windows 3.0, to accuse that organziation of being a "victim" of anything is pretty laughable.

Are you seriously telling me that consumers stopped buying Windows XP because it didn't have WMP bundled? Give me a break - you can download it for nothing from the Microsoft website if you really want it that bad.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 05:46 PM
Drewbert's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,091
iTrader: (20)
Rep Power: 0
Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

My heart pumps piss for Microsoft.

>several hundred microsoft employees were deployed to put together an enormous
>technical specifications document to provide transparency to potential competitors

Are you saying that prior to this there was no technical documentation for it?

No wonder it's full of [mod] security holes!
__________________
It's all jaded style to me.

Last edited by mulligan; 13th July 2006 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 07:33 PM
rhys's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,044
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 681
rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
In the interest of "fairness", isn't it true that Ryhs works for Microsoft?

I'm not going to get into a big debate, but as someone who has followed the practices of Microsoft since it was peddling Windows 3.0, to accuse that organziation of being a "victim" of anything is pretty laughable.

Are you seriously telling me that consumers stopped buying Windows XP because it didn't have WMP bundled? Give me a break - you can download it for nothing from the Microsoft website if you really want it that bad.
I am indeed and I have never denied who my employer is. But I am no apologist for my employer - that is a subject about which it is far too risky to discuss publicly. Anyway my employment places me in an excellent position to help people understand the other side of the story. Reading this thread, I felt it would be important to add a little balance to the discussion so that it doesn't read like a bunch of anti-microsoft folks on a witch hunt. I believe in the intelligence of the senior members of this forum more than that.

It's easy to bash a company but we all know that governments too can go crazy with all the power they are entrusted with which I believe to be the case here. We should be as critical of governments as we are of successful companies we fear or loathe.

Let's try stay civil and respectful as usual shall we? If you bothered to read my point above, I never said that consumers stopped buying Windows XP. I just said that MSFT spent good money to provide the market with one version of Windows XP without WMP by EU decree and it hasn't sold squat. No one wants it. The underlying question is did this ruling actually make an impact and serve the interests of EU citizens. I have my doubts based on sales of the end product.

As for the second point, the Commission required that MSFT license some of their Windows server communications protocols and provide what it called “complete and accurate technical specifications” to assist licensees in implementing these protocols. The Commission and Microsoft are currently disagreeing on the adequacy of these technical specifications. As I stated before, the Commisson has not provided clear guidelines to what would be considered adequate. They didn't bother to reply to MSFT's submission for 9 months and then they decide to call up one day and say, "submission is inadequate" please pay us millions of dollars a day until you get it right. They do this without feedback as to what constitutes "adequate". That strikes me as an abuse of power (none of my statements reflect the views of my employer).

Last edited by rhys; 13th July 2006 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 07:40 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4486
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
They didn't bother to reply to MSFT's submission for 9 months and then they decide to call up one day and say, "submission is inadequate" please pay us millions of dollars a day until you get it right.
I have to say I have not studied the case in detail but, if Microsoft is being fined, it is because it is contravention of court order, not simply because the EU doesn't like them.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 07:45 PM
rhys's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,044
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 681
rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I have to say I have not studied the case in detail but, if Microsoft is being fined, it is because it is contravention of court order, not simply because the EU doesn't like them.
The court order had 2 components which I exlained above. MSFT clearly attempted to comply with both but is being fined for not turning in "adequate" documetation. The court order did not define and despite numerous requests has since failed to define the basis upon which "adequacy" of technical specifications ordered by the commission would be judged. It strikes me that this is a responsibility of the court or those delegated by the court to provide.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 07:52 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4486
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
The court order had 2 components which I exlained above. MSFT clearly attempted to comply with both but is being fined for not turning in "adequate" documetation. The court order did not define and despite numerous requests has since failed to define the basis upon which "adequacy" of technical specifications ordered by the commission would be judged. It strikes me that this is a responsibility of the court or those delegated by the court to provide.
The release of the code was intended to enable other Software Companies to incorportate products into the OS. The amount of information provided was either adequate for this purpose or it was not. Clearly, it has been judged it was not. Microsoft, does itself no favours with its behaviour. The truth is most Europeans would choose to believe anybody other than Microsoft on this issue. The reasons for this are historical and of Microsoft own making.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 08:03 PM
Neptune's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Posts: 233
iTrader: (16)
Rep Power: 490
Neptune is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

I dont think either side is innocent here. The EU hasnt exactly been a saint in such dealings either.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 08:54 PM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1236
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

Why evil or saint debate?

Microsoft is a profit driven company. EU is a sovereign entity, it can do whatever it likes.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 08:57 PM
rhys's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,044
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 681
rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
The release of the code was intended to enable other Software Companies to incorportate products into the OS. The amount of information provided was either adequate for this purpose or it was not. Clearly, it has been judged it was not. Microsoft, does itself no favours with its behaviour. The truth is most Europeans would choose to believe anybody other than Microsoft on this issue. The reasons for this are historical and of Microsoft own making.
The Commission judged the document presented as inadequate without providing any stated criteria. The court's inability to provide guidance as to what it expects is clearly the issue here. MSFT has demonstrated best effort to meet the requirements placed upon it by the commission. So it is confusing what you mean about "it's behaviour".

I'm sure that people have historical reasons or existing ones to dislike MSFT and that's fine. But you cannot justify the inadequacy of a legal system based on people's historical dislike for the defendants.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 11:01 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4486
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
The Commission judged the document presented as inadequate without providing any stated criteria. The court's inability to provide guidance as to what it expects is clearly the issue here. MSFT has demonstrated best effort to meet the requirements placed upon it by the commission. So it is confusing what you mean about "it's behaviour".

I'm sure that people have historical reasons or existing ones to dislike MSFT and that's fine. But you cannot justify the inadequacy of a legal system based on people's historical dislike for the defendants.
I am afraid, however, much Microsoft or indeed you harp on about this, it will just be seen as another smoke screen. Nobody, is going to go any great length to delve the detail of your case. We simply accept the courts ruling. Like or lump it, that is how it is.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 13th July 2006, 11:03 PM
rhys's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,044
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 681
rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: EU give M$ Hard Whack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I am afraid, however, much Microsoft or indeed you harp on about this, it will just be seen as another smoke screen. Nobody, is going to go any great length to delve the detail of your case. We simply accept the courts ruling. Like or lump it, that is how it is.
That would be me that is harping on, I do not represent the views of Microsoft corporation.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:51 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy idns
domain name lawyer
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54