IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Parking and Affiliate Programs > IDN Domain Name Parking

IDN Domain Name Parking Forum for parking international Domain names & services.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th July 2006, 07:26 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Monetizing single characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
The only people I can think of that would check out a single letter domain are other domainers.
That is not the case. There simply aren't hundreds of domainers a month visiting Russian single characters from Russia.
Old 13th July 2006, 07:31 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

I think single characters are largely being used by people experimenting with or demonstrating the IDN concept. Not looking for anything in particular and not bothered to type a proper word.
Old 13th July 2006, 07:32 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

I still think there are some visitors looking for something. Even if what they see currently doesn't appeal to them.

I'm thinking of building a gee wiz flash site for these visitors to enjoy and see if they can be drawn in to it.

There is one conclusion to all of this: PPC parking pages may not be the way to go with single letter domains.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 13th July 2006 at 07:38 AM..
Old 13th July 2006, 07:40 AM

DomenForum.net is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to DomenForum.net Send a message via MSN to DomenForum.net Send a message via Yahoo to DomenForum.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I think single characters are largely being used by people experimenting with or demonstrating the IDN concept. Not looking for anything in particular and not bothered to type a proper word.
Those don't click on parking site ads which makes your traffic useless, IMHO
Old 13th July 2006, 07:42 AM
Banned

idn1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Yes, that is a factor as well.. Not all single-char
names were made equally however; some will
be workable and others won't be.

Burnsinternet: As always, if you want to benefit
from something other than type-in's that make no
money, then the name will have to be developed
(and you'll likely need a good text name to compliment
your 'letter' in order to do that).

If you just want the best keyword, however, then
I guess you could try 'shopping' type words, as I
have done, but I can tell you they don't do much
at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomenForum.net
Yes, but they are generating traffic and that
is the important thing. As Blast has said, PPC
may not be the way to go for single-letter names
and I definitely agree with him on this.

Different fryers for different fish; I think single-letter
names will be able to play new games when IE7 is
out of the bag.

Last edited by idn1234; 13th July 2006 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 13th July 2006, 07:57 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
To solve the problem of monetizing that traffic, the question is: Who would type in a single letter .com or why would anyone type in a single letter .com in any language?
Abbreviations are the most likely answer. I know Thais use the thai letter H "ฮ" as an abbreviation for "helicopter". So in that sense, a 1-letter domain is the same as a 2,3 or 4-letter domain. Not sure I'll be able to find many ads for helicopters though :p
Old 13th July 2006, 08:02 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomenForum.net
You may be correct. They were essentially bought as brandables. Natural Type-In is not essential for such an investment, but you need others that are going to generate some revenue.
Old 13th July 2006, 08:03 AM
Banned

idn1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Abbreviations are the most likely answer. I know Thais use the thai letter H "ฮ" as an abbreviation for "helicopter". So in that sense, a 1-letter domain is the same as a 2,3 or 4-letter domain. Not sure I'll be able to find many ads for helicopters though :p
Yes, abbreviations are very credible!

I also wonder whether the likes of Overstock (o.com
wannabee) and eBay.com (e.com...) will try to sound
off about looky-likey names such as ó.com or é.com.

Technically, and culturally they are very different, but
I can still see them wanting to create a fuss here....

(think that ICANN might be minded to do a bit of money
making this yr, and sell off the remaining single-letter
ascii names).

Last edited by idn1234; 13th July 2006 at 08:08 AM..
Old 13th July 2006, 08:10 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
That is not the case. There simply aren't hundreds of domainers a month visiting Russian single characters from Russia.
If you copy my quote in context, you'll see that was not my point. We all agree that domainers, robots, spiders are traffic. They usually don't buy/click. I didn't say they were the ONLY traffic.

It seems that each letter in each language will have a different answer. Testing different keywords can take time, but developing sites and testing each will not be easy. But then, if it was easy, it wouldn't be called domaining.

Last edited by burnsinternet; 13th July 2006 at 08:16 AM..
Old 13th July 2006, 08:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The only people I can think of that would check out a single letter domain are other domainers. Using 'domain name' as a keyword never worked for me, because those folks probably already have preferences for registration, hosting, etc. I don't have any idea why anyone else would type in a single letter .com.

To solve the problem of monetizing that traffic, the question is: Who would type in a single letter .com or why would anyone type in a single letter .com in any language?
That's your full context quote. You say: « The only people I can think of that would check out a single letter domain are other domainers.» and then go on the explain how you can't appeal to them.

And I'm saying that it's not domainers accessing from Russia at all. «That is not the case. There simply aren't hundreds of domainers a month visiting Russian single characters from Russia.»

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 13th July 2006 at 10:20 AM..