IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Browser, Mobile & Software

Browser, Mobile & Software Discussion of IDNs & browsers such as Microsoft IE, mobile cell phones, or other software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2006, 05:19 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Spyware

This is clearly a major problem to a lot of domainers.

I have had nasty recent experience and I now think I am through the woods, but fingers still crossed.

Lessons Learnt:

One Adware tool is not enough. To beat this one I have used Ad-Aware, Spybot and Ewido.

Although Norton appears to be working OK, you regular automatic scan can be inhibited, along with Updates. This also seems to apply to OS updates. These problem need to be resolved as soon as possible but it may be necessary to eliminate some of the infestation first.

Anti-Spyware and Antivirus scans are most effective in Safe Mode, especially with those those keep bouncing back.

Norton won't launch in Safe mode but can be run on each drive by right clicking the drive.

Before scanning, remove restore points in XP or 2000 as these can be another place for the little buggers to hide.

Delete Trash Can and Temporary Files as this will speed things up a bit and eliminates more hiding places.

On exiting Safe Mode Scan Again. As some of them cannot seem to be hit from within Safe Mode.

I think I have been hit by a little bugger called Double Click which effectively makes the mouse double click anothing it passes over, without you doing a damned thing. You have no idea, how much chaos that can cause. The problem did not go away after all scan where complete, but uninstalling and reinstalling the mouse driver seems to have done the trick. Obviously, some of these damage Drivers which need to be replaced. Still better than a full operating system!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 21st July 2006 at 05:32 PM..
Old 21st July 2006, 05:32 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Spyware

Install the free zonealarm, set it to the highest security mode - and then gradually lowering it to where your tolerance allows. This ensures that nothing runs without your permission.

If you encounter any of those trojan or spyware popout ads - DO NOT move your mouse near the popout - just kill the whole browser from the Window icon near the start menu - if this doesn't work, press control-alt-delete and kill the popout. Caution: doing this may close your favorite IDNF window as well.

Last edited by touchring; 21st July 2006 at 05:36 PM..
Old 21st July 2006, 05:34 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

You have that virus that's going around?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...84844926999587
Old 21st July 2006, 05:38 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
You have that virus that's going around?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...84844926999587
Yes, but from the logs, it would appear that it is latest version of FF that has the vulnerability!
Old 21st July 2006, 05:42 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Yes, but from the logs, it would appear that it is latest version of FF that has the vulnerability!
Apple's default browser Safari has supported IDNs longer than FF, and also passes more standards compliance tests for CSS than any version of FF.

Plus, it looks cooler.
Old 21st July 2006, 05:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Apple's default browser Safari has supported IDNs longer than FF, and also passes more standards compliance tests for CSS than any version of FF.

Plus, it looks cooler.
Well having kicked IE 7.0 Beta 3 into touch thinking that it might be causing software conflicts, I am now downloading that again and kicking FF into touch!
Old 21st July 2006, 06:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well having kicked IE 7.0 Beta 3 into touch thinking that it might be causing software conflicts, I am now downloading that again and kicking FF into touch!
Experience Web 2.0 by Microshaft like never before! Now in beta!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_fullscr....0%20Framework
Old 21st July 2006, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>Lessons Learnt:

You missed...

Sell off one decent domain (cheap, to ME) and use the money to buy a Mac running OSX and wave goodbye to Windows Hell.

Ask Gamma. He's got the t-shirt.
Old 21st July 2006, 08:03 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Someone told me they got good results with www.hijackthis.com for free spyware.
http://www.hijackthis.com/

and this was forwarded just today for free spyware by one of our office managers.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

Last edited by bwhhisc; 21st July 2006 at 08:06 PM..
Old 21st July 2006, 08:28 PM
Veteran

Well, its the silly season. Let me know what you want and I am sure we can sort something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
>Lessons Learnt:

You missed...

Sell off one decent domain (cheap, to ME) and use the money to buy a Mac running OSX and wave goodbye to Windows Hell.

Ask Gamma. He's got the t-shirt.