IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > Special Character IDN Domains

Special Character IDN Domains Discuss novelty IDN Domains, Special Character Domains & Digbat Domains.. This is only for IDN Domains that can be typed with the same character set or single character dingbat domains. We do not allow IDN domains that look like an existing domain & may be used for IDN spoofing or IDN domain phishing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2006, 09:11 PM

Lmg67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Traffic for symbols

I finally got at least half of my IDNs parked on NameDrive with keywords and categories and everything, and have found that some of the most popular names are the symbols + letters. It's mostly the "I ♡ XYZ" names.

Such as:

i♡jerusalem.com

i♡poker.com

i♡vegas.com

etc.

It's not a lot of traffic but they are in the top 10% of what I have properly parked (so far over 500 names with many premium Hebrew ones and some good Russian, Arabic, Chinese and Japanese ones too). I'm surprised at the strength of the symbols.

Any comments/thoughts?
Old 24th July 2006, 09:21 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road
Re: Traffic for symbols

I would guess it is bot traffic.
Old 24th July 2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I'd have to agree. I can't imagine symbol domains with more than one character getting any traffic.

And Google doesn't seem to recognize the ♡ symbol (and probably many / all other symbols at the moment).
Old 24th July 2006, 09:46 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Real traffic does come into some symbols.

Examples:

http://◉.com/
http://⦿.com/

Both used in Japan.

http://〜.com/

Full width tilde used in Japan and typable on all Japanese keyboards.
Old 25th July 2006, 01:16 AM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Real traffic does come into some symbols.
No one said it doesn't, I have symbols that get traffic as well. I agree with fab and I think it is extremely unlikely that symbol domains with more than one character are receiving traffic.
Old 25th July 2006, 01:39 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

I only have a few symbol domains. The non-singles I have are ♀♀.com, ♂♂.com, and 1¢.com and they get virtually no traffic and zero clicks - only bots. That is my only experience with symbols. They were an experiment from 2005. I won't drop them, though, unless it is absolutely necessary.
Old 25th July 2006, 11:20 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
I only have a few symbol domains. The non-singles I have are ♀♀.com, ♂♂.com, and 1¢.com and they get virtually no traffic and zero clicks - only bots. That is my only experience with symbols. They were an experiment from 2005. I won't drop them, though, unless it is absolutely necessary.
Ah! I have ♀♀♀.com and ♀♂♀.com
Old 25th July 2006, 09:57 PM

Perv. :p
Old 26th July 2006, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Very broad-minded isn't he?
Old 26th July 2006, 03:16 AM
Veteran

Maybe you will like this one. Actually it is much like Lmg67's domains.

♂♥♀.com
Old 26th July 2006, 10:47 AM

A little too PG.
Old 27th July 2006, 11:59 AM

can i ask what is a "bot?"
Old 27th July 2006, 01:53 PM
Veteran

A bot is short for robot, such as a search engine spider that visits sites to index them.
Old 28th July 2006, 07:21 PM

thanks blast. how can i tell the difference between a bot and a real person checking out the site? would a bot go to a site more than once?
Old 29th July 2006, 01:20 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmg67
thanks blast. how can i tell the difference between a bot and a real person checking out the site? would a bot go to a site more than once?
If they are parked on NameDrive, there is no way to tell. Although NameDrive has tried to filer out all the bots...

If you have a website, you can check the logs... it will tell you if it is a bot or not, most of the time.
Old 29th July 2006, 01:28 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

If you do a url forward, you can include statcounter or similar code after your meta tags, which can give you some idea of from where your traffic originates and if it's a bot or not -- usually, as blast pointed out.

But it's time-consuming.
Old 30th July 2006, 09:06 AM

Or don't worry about it. The half-penny that you make from the bot visit/click is as good as obvious.