IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2006, 08:20 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
IE7 for XP to Arrive as High Priority Automatic Update

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002472.html
Old 26th July 2006, 08:26 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Re: IE7 for XP to Arrive as High Priority Automatic Update

That's good news. No more wondering about the automatic updates.

This has me a little concerned though -

Quote:
... the planned release of IE7 in the fourth quarter of this year
Fourth quarter?!
Old 26th July 2006, 08:27 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Sounds Good , Wish they wouldnt allow them to decline tho but oh well.... Great News
Old 26th July 2006, 08:27 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Great, but question, is it necessary to authenticate Genuine Windows license to download the "patch"?
Old 26th July 2006, 08:34 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

This is good news, indeed. I like when they say "An upgrade to Internet Explorer is ready..." as opposed to "A new Internet Explorer" or something like that. Looks like the majority of the users will install it.
Old 26th July 2006, 08:37 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

If you want it from the horses mouth then:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/26/678149.aspx

which incidentally starts:

<< As we get close to the final availability of Internet Explorer 7, I want to provide an update on our distribution plans. To help our customers become more secure and up-to-date, we will distribute IE7 as a high-priority update via Automatic Updates (AU) shortly after the final version is released for Windows XP, planned for the fourth quarter of this year.>>
Old 26th July 2006, 08:55 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Server was busy. Took several minutes to get to the blog. Is it OK to copy it here?
Old 26th July 2006, 09:03 PM

It would also be interesting to track how many customers install IE7 on the first day if that data are available.
Old 26th July 2006, 09:07 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

It would be more interesting to know when the first day was!

I don't actually buy this fourth quarter line. Microsoft have consitently released earlier than stated, and this is very detailed for something 2 to 3 months out.
Old 26th July 2006, 09:09 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, but we have to remember that it will be a starting point, not a panacea. I think some IDNers have the idea that they will become millionaires the day IE7 comes out.

Not everyone will install it right away. Some will decline the upgrade. IDN support is not mentioned in any of the marketing communications that I have seen, so our sites will (hopefully) be a pleasant surprise. However, the average user may not know for quite a while that he or she can 'type in' domain names.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket, but I just don't want to hear a lot of Microsoft bashing if IE7 has 'issues' and detractors. Too many of us have been calling for IE7. After it shows up, be patient and go with the flow.
Old 26th July 2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
Yes, but we have to remember that it will be a starting point, not a panacea. I think some IDNers have the idea that they will become millionaires the day IE7 comes out.

Not everyone will install it right away. Some will decline the upgrade. IDN support is not mentioned in any of the marketing communications that I have seen, so our sites will (hopefully) be a pleasant surprise. However, the average user may not know for quite a while that he or she can 'type in' domain names.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket, but I just don't want to hear a lot of Microsoft bashing if IE7 has 'issues' and detractors. Too many of us have been calling for IE7. After it shows up, be patient and go with the flow.
Well said.
Old 26th July 2006, 09:20 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It really doesn't matter how few people will upgrade to IE7, the release itself should be a sufficient reason for you to have a safe laugh. 10% of all users upgrade is good enough to change your life forever.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 26th July 2006, 09:26 PM
Veteran

Quote:

I think you are being far too pessimistic here. When it is released, which I think will be sooner than we are being led to believe at this point up take will be huge. IE 6 has few fans. Enough people will get this on day one for there to be a general awareness. Not many people will choose to be stuck with IE 6.0. OK, there are some issue about whether you have a pucker XP licence, but I don't think that is going to have a serious impact.

Yes, there is an issue about how long it will take the Japanese to get used to direct navigation, which is one of the reasons why trying to get your parking pages indexed. Don't forget this does not require browser support.
Old 26th July 2006, 09:36 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

- As for all those who are using unlicensed ms products, give them 3-4 days and they will have it "unlocked"
- Giant or anyone who thinks so also, how do you see 10% of users that are moving from ie6 to 7 changing anything drastic?
- As for the fact most dont like ie6,i agree they will give 7 a chance (and imo 7 is not bad at all) but even if they disagree i want to think theyre not going back to 6,just moving to firefox , opera etc...
Old 26th July 2006, 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=261275- Giant or anyone who thinks so also, how do you see 10% of users that are moving from ie6 to 7 changing anything drastic?
[/QUOTE]

If 10% of all users upgrade to IE7 can't chage your life, it will certainly change mine.

If I can get 2 - 3 times of my present traffic revenue, I can release myself from other responsibilies and I can start concentrating on something I really want to do. That's a big change of my life.

Don't be mistaken that you need a lot of money to change your life, you just need a little more money to buy yourself some freedom, your life is changed.

@
Old 26th July 2006, 10:43 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If I can get 2 - 3 times of my present traffic revenue, I can release myself from other responsibilies and I can start concentrating on something I really want to do. That's a big change of my life.
I would guess that most people here need a little more than 2 - 3 time their current traffic to leave their day job.
Old 26th July 2006, 11:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
If 10% of all users upgrade to IE7 can't chage your life, it will certainly change mine.

Don't be mistaken that you need a lot of money to change your life, you just need a little more money to buy yourself some freedom, your life is changed.
I am already in the process of making that transition. To get the most of my portfolio in the first year or two is going to be fairly time consuming. Why would I want to waste my time doing other people's menial crap?

This is not a school outing. Those that get their portfolios sorted and earning can buy more high quality domains before they get too expensive. This is not some hobby job. For me and probably a couple of dozen other's on here this is the future. The easy bit is over. Much of the hard work is in front of us.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 26th July 2006 at 11:44 PM..
Old 26th July 2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I would guess that most people here need a little more than 2 - 3 time their current traffic to leave their day job.
Then 10% may get them 10 times of their revenue

burnsinternet is right, it's always wise not to be over-optimistic. But we must also realize that the release of IE7 is a very big event for all IDNers, depends on the size and quality of your IDN portfolio, it can be the most important event of your life!

@
Old 26th July 2006, 11:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant

burnsinternet is right, it's always wise not to be over-optimistic. But we must also realize that the release of IE7 is a very big event for all IDNers, depends on the size and quality of your IDN portfolio, it can be the most important event of your life!
The only experience that you will ever have that is going to be similar is if you are brave enough and successful enough to pay for a space shot.
Old 27th July 2006, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Those that get their portfolios sorted and earning can buy more high quality domains before they get too expensive.
Couldn't agree more. Hopefully Giant leaves some for the rest of us.

Quote:
That's the big question - what multiples will we see once IE7 is out? I'd expect a step jump followed by months of uptrend in traffic. Hopefully followed by another step jump from the release of Vista. With continuing uptrends from internet growth in non-English speaking countries.