IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2006, 07:07 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Auction concerns -- Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Deliberately going off in another direction here. I've said it once and I'd like to say again that not allowing comments in the sales thread deprives the buyer of information that helps them make an informed purchase. It gives all the power to the seller and slaps a big "F*** you, caveat emptor" on the buyer. I just don't believe that this is what we should be about.

So again, I'm going to keep commenting if and when I feel something needs to be said in a sales thread - you can just edit me or kick me off this forum if people truly believe that I am the one that is causing damage by relaying information.
I am one that welcomes comments on my sales thread. I have said this before, IDN forum is different from ASCII domains forum. ASCII domain is "What You See Is What You Get", no need of discussions. The reason we come to this IDN forum because we want discussions, the more the better.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 31st July 2006, 07:07 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Deliberately going off in another direction here. I've said it once and I'd like to say again that not allowing comments in the sales thread deprives the buyer of information that helps them make an informed purchase. It gives all the power to the seller and slaps a big "F*** you, caveat emptor" on the buyer. I just don't believe that this is what we should be about.

So again, I'm going to keep commenting if and when I feel something needs to be said in a sales thread - you can just edit me or kick me off this forum if people truly believe that I am the one that is causing damage by relaying information.

Yes, this is one problem on DNF, fraudulent selling is unchecked.
Old 31st July 2006, 07:18 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

We completely agree comments especially relevant ones on the domain are welcomed.

In this case... There's already a long thread before about Reserves...

I answered each the same way...

We don't have an automated system, this isn't ebay.
Members have the option to put a reserve if it's stated in public before the auction.

For the hundreds of auctions on the site only a handful had a reserve.

I also comment or even PM members that I see who have incorrect translations, mistakes etc... But if this Reserve thing is discussed everytime a member chooses to have reserve then yeah, that discussion might be pulled out the sales thread.
Old 31st July 2006, 10:09 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Actually, I was very sceptical of this approach of low start with high declared reserve. I don't really see anything wrong with it in principle, just a little surprised that it seems to be working so well. I think we should all be keeping an open mind. But bear in mind that all bids are potentially real bids if the seller decides to drop the reserve. I wonder how many of those bidding actually understood this.
Old 31st July 2006, 10:42 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:

There is no problem with comments relating to the name at hand, translation, traffic etc..

I moved the 4 comments at the start of this thread to here and opened a new thread so the pros and cons/whys and wherefores of reserves could be discussed out of his auction thread.
Old 31st July 2006, 11:29 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
I'll "me too" that post.
Me "three".

There is usually only one 'best' way to say a term in many languages, but there are also "other" ways of saying the same thing. If this is not disclosed by the seller, then I have no problem with someone commenting to this fact on the thread. Same with other corrections or information that may be helpful.

What's the harm with allowing positive comments by other native speakers or experienced idners commenting "great idn"? This gives confidence that the term is the real deal. And why would the seller object...he just got his thread bumped back up to the top of the list and a positive comment supporting his sale.
Old 31st July 2006, 11:43 AM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I wonder how many of those bidding actually understood this.
Yes, I surely did not. I actually like the idea (when the reserve is not abused), but I have never seen this approach without the reserve being hidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
jose and idn have problem with my setting the reserve and asking for bids lower than the reserve. I welcome all your opinions, as long as they make sense.
I have no problem with your auction. I was just looking for clarification. Reserves are obviously handled in different ways and I am confident that I was not the only one who did not understand the auction "reserve" format. In retrospect, I apologize for posting in your auction thread, but I still believe my points/opinion made sense.

Last edited by idn; 31st July 2006 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 31st July 2006, 11:51 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Me Four. I am quite happy to have comment on my Sales threads as long as they are OBJECTIVE and SPECIFIC to a domain. What is not tolerable for example is putting a Hindi domain up for auction, and then having comments incorrectly asserting that the domain is worthless because the whole of India speaks English
Old 31st July 2006, 11:53 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Me Four. I am quite happy to have comment on my Sales threads as long as they are OBJECTIVE and SPECIFIC to a domain. What is not tolerable for example is putting a Hindi domain up for auction, and then having comments incorrectly asserting that the domain is worthless because the whole of India speaks English
you are quite right. But you only have to say the word, and the offending posts will be zapped, and the poster given a rollicking.