IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2006, 11:15 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Re: ヌード.com - (nude) - Auction

I know it's against the rules to comment auctions, but I just want to make something clear... for everyone.

When I posted my bid I didn't notice the $3000 reserve. I just have one question: what's the point of bidding below the reserve, when the reserve is not hidden?
Old 30th July 2006, 11:30 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

He is protecting the price of his name. At the end of the auction he can decide to sell it to the highest bidder if the price hasnt met his reserve.... Or not....
Old 30th July 2006, 11:34 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
He is protecting the price of his name. At the end of the auction he can decide to sell it to the highest bidder if the price hasnt met his reserve.... Or not....
Fair enough, but the question remains: is the bidder required to purchase it (if the buyer wishes) if the reserve is not met?
Old 30th July 2006, 11:48 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Why would you be bidding if you didnt intend to buy and pay for the name? For fun?
Old 31st July 2006, 12:01 AM

idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why would you be bidding if you didnt intend to buy and pay for the name? For fun?
Not for fun, but thanks for being an a$$

Hey, Ebay is the only place I have seen reserve auctions and that is pricely how they are handled- buyer does not need to commit unless the reserve it met...

Point being is that I could easily set the visible reserve to $100,000.

Get the point?
Old 31st July 2006, 12:01 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Auction concerns -- Revisited

I don't see a big concern here. Giant stated his reserve at the beginning.
I saw it as he does have the option of going with the highest bidder if his reserve isn't met.
I would certainly assume everyone bidding fully expects to actually buy it.
& yes we will be looking out for members "Especially new ones" who suddenly pull out of auctions.
Old 31st July 2006, 12:06 AM
A.W.O.L

You can set your Reserve to anything you want. Each of us has our own domain business. How you conduct your pricing is up to you. Giant's domain is a premium adult domain, pricing & reserve was pretty fair in my eyes...

If you set the reserve too high... Perhaps you won't get any bids at all. That's the chance one has to make... But ebay has an automatic system, we don't..

Rules are post a reserve if you have one. Makes it super easy on everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn

Hey, Ebay is the only place I have seen reserve auctions and that is pricely how they are handled- buyer does not need to commit unless the reserve it met...

Get the point?
Old 31st July 2006, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
You can set your Reserve to anything you want. Each of us has our own domain business. How you conduct your pricing is up to you. Giant's domain is a premium adult domain, pricing & reserve was pretty fair in my eyes...

If you set the reserve too high... Perhaps you won't get any bids at all. That's the chance one has to make... But ebay has an automatic system, we don't..

Rules are post a reserve if you have one. Makes it super easy on everyone.
The point is if you set a high reserve and it is a good domain people will still bid so you get the best of both worlds- protect your domain from being sold cheap and also accept the high bid if you like.
Old 31st July 2006, 12:10 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn
Fair enough, but the question remains: is the bidder required to purchase it (if the buyer wishes) if the reserve is not met?
I should have put a few more words like "Reserve can be lower any time by the seller". Of course, reserve cannot be lifted higher.

This type of auction is like AfterNIC's except the reserve here is not hidden.

-If your domain is worth about $500 and you don't care about a minimum price, you can sell it as No Reserve. If there's only one bid and the starting bid is $100 then you just sell it at $100.

-But for domains worth a few thousand dollars, you don't want to risk selling the name for a few hundred dollars, and you don't want to set the starting bid too high either like $3,000.

-Though my reserve is $3,000, I can sell it at $1,200 by lowering my reserve to meet the highest bid before the auction closes, if I really need some cash.

-Buyers are encouraged to put in their low bids in case the seller is willing to sell cheap.

This way we can avoid seeing a lot of repeated sales on the forum.

You may not get what you want if you bid lower than the reserve, but at least you have a chance to bargain and be lucky.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@

Last edited by Giant; 31st July 2006 at 06:12 AM..
Old 31st July 2006, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn

Hmm... Maybe you think people are stupid...
If they see 'foolish' reserves of $100,000 on a $6.99 name what do you think is gonna happen?

A sellers reputation often precedes him/her and I think you will find reputable sellers will set sensible prices....

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn

Get the point?
Go ahead, lets see how your $100,000 reserve auction goes..
Old 31st July 2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
I should have put a few more words like "Reserve can be lower any time by the seller". Of course, reserve cannot be lifted higher.

This type of auction is like AfterNIC's except the reserve here is not hidden.

-If your domain is worth about $500 and you don't care about a minimum price, you can sell it as No Reserve. If there's only one bid and the starting bid is $100 then you will have to sell it at $100.

-But for domains worth a few thousand dollars, you don't want to risk selling the name for a few hundred dollars, and you don't want to set the starting bid too high either like $3,000.

-Though my reserve is $3,000, I can sell it at $1,200 by lowering my reserve to meet the highest bid before the auction closes, if I really need some cash.

-Buyers are encouraged to put in their low bids in case the seller is willing to sell cheap.

This way we can avoid seeing a lot of repeated sales on the forum.

You may not get what you want if you bit lower than the reserve, but at least you have a chance to bargain.

That is fine, but I have not seen these rules stated anywhere. All I was trying to do is basically state that this scenario is a greater advantage for the seller.
Old 31st July 2006, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Show Jose how it works - post "SOLD" now.
Old 31st July 2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Hmm... Maybe you think people are stupid...
If they see 'foolish' reserves of $100,000 on a $6.99 name what do you think is gonna happen?

A sellers reputation often precedes him/her and I think you will find reputable sellers will set sensible prices....

Go ahead, lets see how your $100,000 reserve auction goes..
Thanks for the attitude, love it.

Here is an example:

Say Giant would have set the reserve at $20,000. Knowing that the seller can accept any bid will inherently make people bid (at least on premum idns) hoping that the offer will be accepted. Therefore Giant, in the case, has his domain protected and from his standpoint it is the same as a NO RESERVE auction.

Guess I am just not seeing eye to eye with anyone. I give up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
nice

Last edited by idn; 31st July 2006 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 31st July 2006, 12:32 AM
A.W.O.L

We all know you can set your Reserve Super High or sensible.
The rule is just have it presented.
You can set it high, you can set it low.
There's no real argument on the issue..
You decide what it is "IF" you want to use it.
But since this is a forum please post it before the auction begins.
You can also sell at $2,000,000 & taking offers...
Members have a choice of who they want to deal with.
You represent yourself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn
The point is if you set a high reserve and it is a good domain people will still bid so you get the best of both worlds- protect your domain from being sold cheap and also accept the high bid if you like.
Old 31st July 2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Very good suggestion

@
Old 31st July 2006, 12:41 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Oh boy, sorry Olney, sorry Giant.
I guess I opened the pandora box.
I think everyone was thinking the same I was, but no one asked it.
Old 31st July 2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
Oh boy, sorry Olney, sorry Giant.
I guess I opened the pandora box.
I think everyone was thinking the same I was, but no one asked it.
I wish I could have thanked everybody commenting on my thread a bit earlier, I was busy the whole day. Especially rhys, Olney, mulligan and vgemito, for their professional opinions.

jose and idn have problem with my setting the reserve and asking for bids lower than the reserve. I welcome all your opinions, as long as they make sense.

Let me show you how I could have done differently if I didn't do the auction this way.

A) ヌード.com - For Sale : $6,500. Any offers greater than $100 are welcome.

B) ヌード.com - For Sale : $6,500. Any offers greater than $100 are welcome.
*** Actively consider all offers greater than $100.
*** No reserve for the highest offer greater than $3,000.

A) is a common sale we have seen on the forum.
B) is better than A) from the buyers' point of view.

If you can accept A) and B), why can't you accept my auction? My auction is better for buyers because all offers are bids and posted on the forum for everybody to see.

@

Last edited by Giant; 31st July 2006 at 06:31 AM..
Old 31st July 2006, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Setting a reserve and taking bids blow it are very common in the auction world. It's just hat in this case we know what the reserve is.

But it's useful here, because sellers can get an idea that the domain is worth the reserve by how quickly the bids get within range.
Old 31st July 2006, 06:33 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Deliberately going off in another direction here. I've said it once and I'd like to say again that not allowing comments in the sales thread deprives the buyer of information that helps them make an informed purchase. It gives all the power to the seller and slaps a big "F*** you, caveat emptor" on the buyer. I just don't believe that this is what we should be about.

So again, I'm going to keep commenting if and when I feel something needs to be said in a sales thread - you can just edit me or kick me off this forum if people truly believe that I am the one that is causing damage by relaying information.
Old 31st July 2006, 07:00 AM
Administrator

I'll "me too" that post.