IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   域名 (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/%E5%9F%9F%E5%90%8D/)
-   -   How is the .cn market? (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/5562-how-is-the-cn-market.html)

IDNCowboy 1st August 2006 12:56 PM

How is the .cn market?

anything left? Whats the story ;-) ? Was it wiped clean? or are there still good regs like .jp

Rubber Duck 1st August 2006 01:00 PM

Re: How is the .cn market?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff
anything left? Whats the story ;-) ? Was it wiped clean? or are there still good regs like .jp

If you want to get some, I would hurry as CNNIC are doing roadshows to promote to local companies. This would seem to be going down quite well.

I would suggest that because more dot CN are registered than dot JP and because there has been more government promotion of both IDN in general and dot CN in particular, that the situation is even more difficult than with dot JP.

Giant 1st August 2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
If you want to get some, I would hurry as CNNIC are doing roadshows to promote to local companies. This would seem to be going down quite well.

I would suggest that because more dot CN are registered than dot JP and because there has been more government promotion of both IDN in general and dot CN in particular, that the situation is even more difficult than with dot JP.

Yes, a lot of Chinese are regging IDN.cn now (more difficult than .jp). But in the long run, .com is still the better choice.

If you look at how Chinese locals think about IDN, you wouldn't laugh at the English speaking folks being so ignorant about IDN, the Chinese are even worse. But things will change very quickly once IE7 is out.

touchring 1st August 2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

I do not know about the real statistics, but my impression is that there are more Chinese idn.cn registered than idn.com, probably due to chinese companies registering for .cn and not .com. The situation for .company is better, but the last time i checked was April, but it costs at least 240-280rmb a year - expensive. It could also be that people did not that .com supports idn as CNNIC has been marketing idn.cn as "Chinese domain" rather than "International domain".

Prodigy 1st August 2006 01:14 PM

For the sake of diversification, I actually just registered my first .cn today (at 39.99 Yikes!)

www.经验.cn

so in chinese www.经验.中国 (Experience China? I know it:s a far stretch ;))

It means Experience with 24,400,000 hits on Baidu so its safe to say that the market is not wiped yet.

If you have the money, I say buy a few gems just to keep it spread.

Rubber Duck 1st August 2006 01:18 PM

I got a handful for traffic mainly for traffic comparison purposes. I only have two generics, which mean LOCAL and POP MUSIC.

Giant is also right about the Chinese. It won't be long before the flippers are trying to buy at IDNFs to sell back home in China!

Prodigy 1st August 2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giant
Yes, a lot of Chinese are regging IDN.cn now (more difficult than .jp). But in the long run, .com is still the better choice.

If you look at how Chinese locals think about IDN, you wouldn't laugh at the English speaking folks being so ignorant about IDN, the Chinese are even worse. But things will change very quickly once IE7 is out.

I fully agree with all points brought up by Giant in this post. Listen to him, he's by far the Big Man on Campus when it comes to Chinese IDN.

touchring 1st August 2006 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinaStar
For the sake of diversification, I actually just registered my first .cn today (at 39.99 Yikes!)

I think you can get an idn.cn for min. 230rmb with a chinese registrar, though ascii.cn is now available for much lesser at only 50/60rmb a year! I hope they will lower their prices before my renewal. :p

IDNCowboy 1st August 2006 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring
I think you can get an idn.cn for min. 230rmb with a chinese registrar, though ascii.cn is now available for much lesser at only 50/60rmb a year! I hope they will lower their prices before my renewal. :p

how much USD? so idn.cn is actually more expensive?

I thought the story in china was that idn.cn would be cheaper for residents than ascii.cn?

Rubber Duck 1st August 2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

I thought the story in china was that idn.cn would be cheaper for residents than ascii.cn?

Interesting strategy for promoting IDN. Perhaps they are trying to instill the idea that Chinese characters are much more valuable. Or perhaps they just know that they are!

touchring 1st August 2006 06:09 PM

Quote:

Yes, it is possible to get ascii.cn for about 50 rmb. The lowest i can find for idn.cn is 230rmb (i was actually checking for .company, so i might have confused that with idn.cn). You divide by 8 to get usd.

Giant 1st August 2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Interesting strategy for promoting IDN. Perhaps they are trying to instill the idea that Chinese characters are much more valuable. Or perhaps they just know that they are!

I also think Chinese characters are more valuable (to Chinese). Besides, when you reg an IDN.cn you're actually getting 4 (or 2 if S = T) names --- the Simplified and Traditional forms of .CN and .中国.

bwhhisc 1st August 2006 08:35 PM

Quote:

how much USD? I

.cn at domainsite is $39.99

IDNCowboy 1st August 2006 08:52 PM

I've seen some in the $27-$29 range...

now which one has support that speak english? :)

bwhhisc 1st August 2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

I've seen some in the $27-$29 range...
now which one has support that speak english? :)

I think the registrar was out of Germany or Belgium, plus had a few restrictions or VAT tax if you were a foreigner. Seemed to be a bit of a pain unless you were going to reg a bunch.

Wot 1st August 2006 11:39 PM

I was going to go after a few .cn idn but then it transpires that if it is regged via a non "chinese' registrar then there is difficulty in transfer to the chinese buyer - can anybody shed any light on this?

Did pick up a few .tw gems - my opinion of course!

25 euro at DD24 btw with up to 20% discount for bulk buyers. So as little as around $21. 3 .coms!

symatao 2nd August 2006 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwhhisc
.cn at domainsite is $39.99

in China xinnet.com or other registerar, reseller buy .cn only $17----$22,but transfer is hardly.