IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2006, 05:01 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A 3rd Party Observer on the Future of IDNS - Failures/Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by damitssam
This is great that everyone is politely answering my question.

However, I still dont have an answer. Can anyone show me how its done? I assume the methods havent changed since I did it (which is a long time ago) where you had to download a program, and then use "zhu yin or pin yin" to then type the pronouncation and then you chose the word by clicking on it.

I honestly just cant see how you can type fast if you have to "click" on a word. Can someone shed me some light... perhaps time has changed (i was using windows 95 back then i think XD).

Well i stink at chinese now, but i imagine typing in ALL The pronouncation + the clicking takes longer then to type the Mississippi Department of Transportation.
Again, I am americanized so i really dunno whats the current trend.

Hehe, ic.
Old 2nd August 2006, 05:39 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm not sure if you are just talking about the Chinese PPC market but I'll let you know that I have over 200 Japanese keywords that are over $5 strong a click for advertisers.

In Japan the PPC income is way more than there. I got plenty of keywords in the $20 a click range too.

I'm glad you didn't leave us hanging. As I've heard a few versions ago there wasn't even a Chinese version of windows. I would assume that the system has been upgraded a bit.
Old 2nd August 2006, 05:54 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I'm not sure if you are just talking about the Chinese PPC market but I'll let you know that I have over 200 Japanese keywords that are over $5 strong a click for advertisers.

In Japan the PPC income is way more than there. I got plenty of keywords in the $20 a click range too.

I'm glad you didn't leave us hanging. As I've heard a few versions ago there wasn't even a Chinese version of windows. I would assume that the system has been upgraded a bit.
True but in a market like China do you think we'll ever see dollars per click? China isn't a free market. Take a look at North Korea vs South Korea. Democratic South Korea is doing much better financially being a free market while communist North Korea is in shambles .
Old 2nd August 2006, 05:57 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
True but in a market like China do you think we'll ever see dollars per click? China isn't a free market. Take a look at North Korea vs South Korea. Democratic South Korea is doing much better financially being a free market while communist North Korea is in shambles .

China's now a chaotic free market - a mix of branded, overpriced copycats, pirated, and value goods. Whatever that can be made, can be bought.
Old 2nd August 2006, 05:59 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
China's now a chaotic free market - a mix of branded, overpriced copycats, pirated, and value goods.
right which means who would want to get the more expensive brand name when you can get cheap pirated stuff off the streets? Customers in China have to learn to pay for their stuff before advertisers will treat them seriously.
Old 2nd August 2006, 06:04 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
right which means who would want to get the more expensive brand name when you can get cheap pirated stuff off the streets? Customers in China have to learn to pay for their stuff before advertisers will treat them seriously.

Change is only a matter of time, question is how long it will take.

Also, is the issue of mentality, for example overpricing in Western societies is perceived as beneath honesty, but this is not the case in Asia.

Last edited by touchring; 2nd August 2006 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 2nd August 2006, 08:21 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And finally to add on a point: Why are so many frieking people registering SO MANY CHINESE IDNS? I mean the PPC market is currently horrible, why not go invest into the spanish market, or the arabic market, where MUCH better keywords are available... (i might just start soon once i sell off all my ASCII)
Oh, my gosh. Have you looked for Spanish and Arabic lately? I started in IDNs with only Spanish on my mind. All the dot coms I wanted and the ones I did not want were taken long ago. The good dot nets were long gone, too.
Old 2nd August 2006, 08:31 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
... why not go invest into the spanish market, or the arabic market, where MUCH better keywords are available... (i might just start soon once i sell off all my ASCII)...
hehe. spoken like a true noob.

that ship sailed wayyy ago.
Old 2nd August 2006, 08:40 AM

Prodigy is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear alot abt typing and clicking... i type Chinese without a mouse... theyre all numbered so you can see which character set you want its just an extra tap on a number to get the character string in the box.

Besides, its not a "click" a character either... sometimes it's a "click" every 4 characters which would be half your sentence... honestly I can probably type something in Chinese almost as quickly as I type in English because theres economy in the language structure.

Last edited by Prodigy; 2nd August 2006 at 08:44 AM..
Old 2nd August 2006, 08:51 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Or list those available Spanish and Arabic keywords, please!
Old 2nd August 2006, 10:18 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Entirely agree, the Internet should be run by Americans for Americans. We don't want any of those weird characters screwing with the American Dream.

Seriously, these discussions remind me of my Granny blaming changes in the weather on Radio Waves.:p

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 2nd August 2006 at 10:37 AM..
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:09 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Entirely agree, the Internet should be run by Americans for Americans. We don't want any of those weird characters screwing with the American Dream.
Thats right Duck. And no keyboards allowed that lets anyone type faster than us!
We have rapidly sliding productivity standards to maintain. lol
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:45 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Thats right Duck. And no keyboards allowed that lets anyone type faster than us!
We have rapidly sliding productivity standards to maintain. lol
Take a tip from the British. If you are having problems, just send out a naval patrol. Park up and shell them from about 3 miles off-shore. That usually does the trick!
Old 3rd August 2006, 05:20 AM

Neptune is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaStar
I hear alot abt typing and clicking... i type Chinese without a mouse... theyre all numbered so you can see which character set you want its just an extra tap on a number to get the character string in the box.

Besides, its not a "click" a character either... sometimes it's a "click" every 4 characters which would be half your sentence... honestly I can probably type something in Chinese almost as quickly as I type in English because theres economy in the language structure.
This sort of answer is very productive on this thread. While arguing the points for the amount of times it is typed into a browser does help, answering damitssam's question and describing directly how the typing is completed paints a much clearer picture.

I'm curious what sort of training goes into learning this typing. I remember taking a one semester class in high school that basically tought me how to type just fine. Is this offered in for typing on the Chinese keyboard (or other languages)? I'm sure they are, but how advanced is it? For instance, if damitssam had to use a special program back in '95, how new is the current chinese keyboard and software to that population? While some may be fluent in it, is it only a limited population, or is this a standard taught in all schools (that can afford computers) now?

I imagine Japan is much more advanced in terms of typing education, but Olney, could you perhaps elaborate briefly on the situation as you see it there?

Any other languages?
Old 3rd August 2006, 06:12 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

They don't teach typing in school as far as I know.
A Japanese kid can spend about an hour trying to type in Japanese & never forget.
Years ago there was special programs for Asian languages. It was the same for Japanese years ago.
Now the Chinese & Japanese system is made for Asia. For Japanese there is no special "software" or special keyboard.

Just think Windows 95 was like 10 years ago... just think about that... 10 years ago in computer operating system time, & comparing it to now...
Old 3rd August 2006, 06:17 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
They don't teach typing in school as far as I know.
A Japanese kid can spend about an hour trying to type in Japanese & never forget.
Years ago there was special programs for Asian languages. It was the same for Japanese years ago.
Now the Chinese & Japanese system is made for Asia. For Japanese there is no special "software" or special keyboard.

Just think Windows 95 was like 10 years ago... just think about that... 10 years ago in computer operating system time, & comparing it to now...

Chinese and Japanese are very different in that Chinese uses Pinyin (ABC) as alphabets whereas Japanese uses Kana.
Old 3rd August 2006, 07:17 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

Department of Transportation = 运输部.

With the Chinese processing system I am using, I only need to type "ysh 8 b 5" for 运输部.

"Department of Transportation" in English.
"ysh 8 b 5" in Chinese characters.
Which one is easier?

And yes, "ysh 8 b 5" is Pinyin, the slowest way for typing in Chinese characters.