IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2006, 11:01 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Conclusive Validation of IDN concept

I have inadvertantly stumbled across conclusive proof of the IDN concept.

A couple of days ago I registered this as part of a suggestive sweep of Wordstats at Yandex.

xn--c1akhxjc.net услуги the service

Must have like it as it only scored 282620, which is actually pretty low compared with the rest of my registrations.

Put this one into a thread because of very substantial traffic particulary for Dot Net.

It was pointed out to me that this was probably a "Typo" of uslugi.net, which appears to be popular Ukrainian site.

Of course what we actually have here is a Transliteration. That means someone, indeed an awful lot of someones have tried to type this into address bar of an IDN enabled browser, but using a Cyrillic Keyboard, rather than a standard English Keyboard.

It is not difficult to see that I have a potential WIPO on my hands, as I will soon be getting more traffic than they are.

The concept of IDN is proven conclusively by this. Given a Cyrilic Keyboard and an enabled browser, Russians and Ukrainians will attempt to type in the IDN address, even if the site owner has not advertised or registered. God help any Company trying to do E-Commerce in Asia that has not taken this message on board!!!

Dave
Old 25th January 2006, 01:52 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point
I can confirm that a lot of my Russian IDNs get type-in traffic which is coming from Russia or Ukraine. The amount of traffic correlates with Yandex and OVT scores.

By the way, услуги means "services", which is plural and very generic. So, I wouldn't worry about WIPO.
Old 25th January 2006, 01:59 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
I can confirm that a lot of my Russian IDNs get type-in traffic which is coming from Russia or Ukraine. The amount of traffic correlates with Yandex and OVT scores.

By the way, услуги means "services", which is plural and very generic. So, I wouldn't worry about WIPO.
This appears to be utter MADNESS. It would seem that these guys want to trade under Services.net but have taken the Russian and transliterated back into Latin and are using that as a trading name.

Presumably the original concept was to get back to Russian at some point, but now they are stuffed because they don't have the IDN, which their would be customers are successfully typing in and will soon be landing here now that I have sorted out the URL Forwarding.

Is the World going mad, or have I just flipped totally???!!!

Dave
Old 25th January 2006, 02:11 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that 3-5 years from now, a lot of Russian speaking folks (or non-English speaking folks for that matter) will not think twice between choosing between an IDN and a non-IDN site to go to.

If the internet was developed by the Chinese, would an American type in chinese characters to find out the weather in Florida:-)?
Old 26th January 2006, 02:01 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
nice catch i was actually originallythinking of regging that too
Old 28th January 2006, 04:50 PM

donwebcorleone is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
If the internet was developed by the Chinese, would an American type in chinese characters to find out the weather in Florida:-)?
nice point! i agree completely with you. but well i dont complain, asian domains seems a hot business and im just getting in on time! ; )