IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2006, 08:04 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
A Japanese IDN .com live, in the wild...

Walking around Shibuya (busy area of Tokyo stuffed full of shops and restaurants frequented mainly by folks in their teens and twenties) yesterday afternoon I saw a Thai restaurant with the URL "タイレストラン.com" (ThaiRestaurant.com) prominently displayed on it.

So I took a look today - easy to remember the URL - and they're smartly using it as an automatic redirect to their unmemorable regular URL at http://www.yamthaikitchen.com/

That's only ONE example, but it's the first non-.jp Japanese IDN that I've seen advertised offline that's actually "real" and working (some companies advertise domains they don't own, probably to look "cool", but the actual URL as opposed to the big domain logo is their real URL)
Old 2nd August 2006, 08:07 AM

alex is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: A Japanese IDN .com live, in the wild...

It's great to hear that IDNs are hitting the streets. A very promising sign.
Old 2nd August 2006, 08:16 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Thumbs up Re: A Japanese IDN .com live, in the wild...

Awesome , music to the Sole !
Old 2nd August 2006, 08:42 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Re: A Japanese IDN .com live, in the wild...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
Walking around Shibuya (busy area of Tokyo stuffed full of shops and restaurants frequented mainly by folks in their teens and twenties) yesterday afternoon I saw a Thai restaurant with the URL "タイレストラン.com" (ThaiRestaurant.com) prominently displayed on it.

So I took a look today - easy to remember the URL - and they're smartly using it as an automatic redirect to their unmemorable regular URL at http://www.yamthaikitchen.com/

That's only ONE example, but it's the first non-.jp Japanese IDN that I've seen advertised offline that's actually "real" and working (some companies advertise domains they don't own, probably to look "cool", but the actual URL as opposed to the big domain logo is their real URL)
be great if you could snap a photo next time you pass by. One for the scrapbook.
Old 2nd August 2006, 09:27 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
Looks like they went live and no longer using the automatic redirect.
Old 2nd August 2006, 09:57 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Excuse my ignorance but is there another way to achieve automated re-direction other than URL forwarding? Is it possible to have two domains with the same IP address for example? Can you force an IP address to a domain?
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:20 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Lots of ways.

You can point any number of domains at the same IP address, so if you give a site a unique IP you could have a million domains all pointing at it.

However, for SEO purposes the best way is to set up a "301 redirect" (Google it please - there are simply too many references out there to pick a "best" one) from one domain to another. That way, only the final (destination) domain will get indexed by the search engines, and there's no danger of being penalised for duplicate content. You can set up the 301 redirect using a .htaccess file if you're hosting on Linux/Apache, and there's a way to do it for IIS server-hosted sites too.
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:32 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Edwin, I found this one most helpful:

http://www.tamingthebeast.net/articl...1-redirect.htm
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:45 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Thanks Edwin, I found this one most helpful:
http://www.tamingthebeast.net/articl...1-redirect.htm
Nice find Edwin, thanks. On a side bar also interesting that your search turned up a
internet marketing company with a ".net" extension, did you do a pretty wide search on the subject?
I would have thought .com would rule the roost in this field.
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:53 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Nice find Edwin, thanks. On a side bar also interesting that your search turned up a
internet marketing company with a ".net" extension, did you do a pretty wide search on the subject?
I would have thought .com would rule the roost in this field.
No, not really. This one seemed to provide the information I needed from a domainer's perspective in fairly simple language. If I need to know more later, I now know where to start.
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:00 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
No, not really. This one seemed to provide the information I needed from a domainer's perspective in fairly simple language. If I need to know more later, I now know where to start.
The article and information was great. What I meant was that since .nets are "second cousins" seems that in this field of internet marketing it would be wholy dominated with hundreds, if not thousands of .com businesses. I guess these guys do know their SEO!
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
The article and information was great. What I meant was that since .nets are "second cousins" seems that in this field of internet marketing it would be wholy dominated with hundreds, if not thousands of .com businesses. I guess these guys do know their SEO!
Yes, much of this about SEO. When the dust settles IDN will give a clear SEO advantage, whether dot com or dot net. When it comes to type-in, it will all be down to who has the highest levels of public awareness. Dot com has to be the front runner there.

It may be, however, that direct navigation is not going to play as significant role as it has done in the US. For the most part direct navigation to unfamilar sites is for dummies, so the Search derived queries are more likely to be the most valuable longer-term. Even so, selection from the search results could still be influenced by extension.

Then there is memorability factor. If you don't mentally log the extension of domain that has been advertised, you may attempt to type in using the most familiar extensions. Dot com will again come out here.

Big business is generally fairly conservative and worries about cachet, as well as the pure navigation issues. I think large corporates will stay with dot com and there reinforce its use.