IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2006, 06:38 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Any quicker way to "development".

very cool
Old 4th August 2006, 09:29 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

You might get a better return by focusing more effort/resources on a handful of names and producing something decent on them rather than going for the "mile wide, inch deep" approach across all domains.
Old 4th August 2006, 10:00 AM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275
I am now working on a CMS (content managment system) template that allows you to add pages/content...change title..tags etc...
change google/yahoo adsense code etc...
change images...and the template is as "changable" as possible
(it will also turn php to html which imo still is better seo wise)
I261275 - is this the link to the site?

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

Would you reccommend this site for a newbie?
Old 4th August 2006, 10:50 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

The big question for me in all this is how much Google will pay you directly for Adsense clicks on mini-websites, compared with how much parkers like NameDrive pay out?

Is it typically a big difference? Obviously parking companies take their cut (typically 50%), but is that the only difference? For example, do Google themselves pay parking companies less for clicks than they pay website owners?
Old 4th August 2006, 11:09 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Is it typically a big difference? Obviously parking companies take their cut (typically 50%), but is that the only difference? For example, do Google themselves pay parking companies less for clicks than they pay website owners?

Yes, that's why i asked - How about: has anyone tried this method for Japanese names? How's the PPC and CTR like?

Edwin's proposal to develop for a just few domain makes sense for higher traffic names if parking companies do take a big slice off.
Old 4th August 2006, 11:15 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Even an answer for ASCII domains would be useful as a starting point - surely someone here has done the necessary work to convert a parked domain to a one-page adsense site? Anyone care to share the results?
Old 4th August 2006, 11:18 AM

chaumi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The big question for me in all this is how much Google will pay you directly for Adsense clicks on mini-websites, compared with how much parkers like NameDrive pay out?

Why would you want to give away half when there's an opportunity to pull it all yourself? Remember affiliate income as well, not sure how well this is developed in different countries, but it surely? will come to those where not in use already.
This can considerably raise income...eg Sedo click income on one of my .de poker names was sitting at about €50 per month....when I managed to get a working site on it rose to $xxxx from affiliate income with same traffic level. OK, poker's a high payer, but you can see the point!
Old 4th August 2006, 11:34 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I am not interest in trying to get an 80% cut until I am getting 50% of something meaningful!
Old 4th August 2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I am not interest in trying to get an 80% cut until I am getting 50% of something meaningful!
Point taken, but we know the potential's there. No harm in trying to find a balance to the short and long term view, and set up to win either way?
Old 4th August 2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaumi
Why would you want to give away half when there's an opportunity to pull it all yourself? Remember affiliate income as well, not sure how well this is developed in different countries, but it surely? will come to those where not in use already.
This can considerably raise income...eg Sedo click income on one of my .de poker names was sitting at about €50 per month....when I managed to get a working site on it rose to $xxxx from affiliate income with same traffic level. OK, poker's a high payer, but you can see the point!
Because I own close to 1000 IDNs, plus ASCII ones. I have developed web sites for years, and I know how much blood, sweat, and tears they produce. And the tears often come from dealing with companies supposed to be paying out "lifetime affiliate income"

Poker is an exception. There are very clear and easy ways to generate income from poker names. Most names are much messier, and for many IDNs, there is no obvious affiliate path.

So the question remains the same - how much more do Adsense clicks produce than parking clicks?
Old 4th August 2006, 12:41 PM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Even an answer for ASCII domains would be useful as a starting point - surely someone here has done the necessary work to convert a parked domain to a one-page adsense site? Anyone care to share the results?

www.gov.co.in (20,000+ uniques per month) - switched from parking at Sedo to the mini site - very little difference in income.

www.orientthai.com (4,000 + per month)same switch - same result

www.nee.com (4000+ per month) - same result

So from my experience- very little difference.
Old 4th August 2006, 12:44 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Why are you comparing apples and oranges?

It's pointless to compare the click values of parking vs developing a "real" site (substantial useful, in-depth content, incoming links, etc) since the latter could easily have 10x, 100x, 1000x or more the traffic of the former.

MySpace.com probably got about 1-2 typeins a month when it was still just a domain - now it gets hundreds of millions of visitors a month as a developed site. Do you think the owners are sitting around wondering if their per-click on ads is lower than they would have got by parking the domain all those years ago?

Perhaps it's because there's typically little overlap between the "domainer" and "developer" webmaster communities, but it's amazing how many people stay fixated on the per-click ball whereas the real name of the game is traffic, buckets and buckets of it - and how to get it!

Yes, parking ONE domain requires no effort, whereas developing a site could take weeks of hard work - but when you add up ALL the hours you spend chasing, registering, parking, buying and selling domains, you'll see that equation is deceptive as there is a lot of work involved on both sides of the equation - it's just that in domaining, the work comes in bite-sized helpings.
Old 4th August 2006, 12:51 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin

It's pointless to compare the click values of parking vs developing a "real" site (substantial useful, in-depth content, incoming links, etc) since the latter could easily have 10x, 100x, 1000x or more the traffic of the former.

MySpace.com probably got about 1-2 typeins a month when it was still just a domain - now it gets hundreds of millions of visitors a month as a developed site. Do you think the owners are sitting around wondering if their per-click on ads is lower than they would have got by parking the domain all those years ago?

Perhaps it's because there's typically little overlap between the "domainer" and "developer" webmaster communities, but it's amazing how many people stay fixated on the per-click ball whereas the real name of the game is traffic, buckets and buckets of it - and how to get it!
Totally agree with you. But the kind of development that really works takes not only inspiration and know how, but also a lot of back breaking slog. You need to crack the viral marketing thing. You need to excite people sufficiently for them to return time and time again and tell their friends about it. A bit like this forum, but even this isn't a star shot in terms of what is possible with a site with wider public appeal.

The problem is that in many instance you will need to appeal to the teenagers of a different culture in a different language. I struggle to relate to my own son about what he wants to do and what he is having for tea.
Old 4th August 2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin

Yes, parking ONE domain requires no effort, whereas developing a site could take weeks of hard work - but when you add up ALL the hours you spend chasing, registering, parking, buying and selling domains, you'll see that equation is deceptive as there is a lot of work involved on both sides of the equation - it's just that in domaining, the work comes in bite-sized helpings.
I fully understand the potential differences between "real" sites and parked pages. Like you, I am both a domainer and a developer. With real sites, the amount of traffic / income is largely down to your ingenuity, skill sets, investment of time and money.

All I was trying to find out was how the click income compared if you deal directly with Adsense, compared with going through a parking company. Sounds like a reasonable question to me, especially if you are thinking of develop a very simple mini-site.
Old 4th August 2006, 01:07 PM
Veteran

It is a very pertinent question and one many us need to know the answer to.
Old 4th August 2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
The problem is that in many instance you will need to appeal to the teenagers of a different culture in a different language. I struggle to relate to my own son about what he wants to do and what he is having for tea.
MySpace was just an extreme example to illustrate typein vs developed traffic. Should be possible to get hundreds or thousands of visitors a day (or more - some of my sites get more) to a decent site on just about any topic, if the niche is planned and mapped out in advance and the content is developed carefully.
Old 4th August 2006, 01:29 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I fully understand the potential differences between "real" sites and parked pages. Like you, I am both a domainer and a developer. With real sites, the amount of traffic / income is largely down to your ingenuity, skill sets, investment of time and money.

All I was trying to find out was how the click income compared if you deal directly with Adsense, compared with going through a parking company. Sounds like a reasonable question to me, especially if you are thinking of develop a very simple mini-site.

Yes, the sorts of of that womantowoman.com adsense site example given just a while ago.
Old 4th August 2006, 03:02 PM

QUOTE= It's pointless to compare the click values of parking vs developing a "real" site (substantial useful, in-depth content, incoming links, etc) since the latter could easily have 10x, 100x, 1000x or more the traffic of the former.

QUOTE=Totally agree with you. But the kind of development that really works takes not only inspiration and know how, but also a lot of back breaking slog. You need to crack the viral marketing thing. You need to excite people sufficiently for them to return time and time again and tell their friends about it.

QUOTE=With real sites, the amount of traffic / income is largely down to your ingenuity, skill sets, investment of time and money.

All points spot on, and there's clearly a need to look at this from different perspectives.

1.There has to be a simple solution for the domainer with up to 1000+ names, for whom it's impossible to develop effectively. Time is limited, and the effort that goes into only one can be exhaustive.

2. Based on everything we know now, as Edwin spelled out, content rich, 'clever'
development has a stong chance of gaining exponential income growth, and an ultimate satisfying sale value.

Looking at 1. If you only concentrate on this, you are almost certainly missing out on potential, although the development in 2 has to be 'clever' to beat the market, or more to the point you have to search for/have access to multiple resources.

So, how do you develop to the level required for success, when we're all short of time/have too many domains/other things need attention/have to work as well/don't have the necessary knowledge in all areas....etc

One answer may be in a 'collective' approach, and I need to use an example at very high level.....

Take an ASCII top level genre. Examples travel, entertainment, fashion, electronics etc. ASCII is chosen in this example to create potential for truly global market, though of course a generic IDN would work as well for a narrower market. The high level genre approach is best to make the widest possible number of associations with its sub levels.

Pull together a team to build a content rich ASCII site on a strong domain. Shared approach, content building, ideas, development, costs, income.

Once the site is up and running, continue focus to build traffic, while simultaneously turning attention to IDN element of site. Either building content rich local script pages by translating from the already prepared ASCII content, and/or using links to developed IDN standalone sites.

Using travel as an example, here's one of mine...vrtravelguide.com. Imagine a front page with links to ASCII continent/city sub pages, articles, advertising etc, and other links to individual language/script pages, each of which is a mirror of the main site page in the local script.
The owner of Bangalore.com in Hindi either has a link to the developed site from the Hindi page, or forwards traffic to the Hindi/Bangalore sub page of the main site, and subsequently collects any income from that page.

Advantages:

Shared interest in top level development, using collective skillsets, overcomes the time/knowledge/money/support restrictions

Potential to build strong visitor levels, valuable shared and individual income

Ability to keep traffic/income for strong IDNs benefitting the individual owner, while also giving the opportunity for some traffic to spill into the rest of the site

Links to individual IDNs tied into the content, and maybe relevant ASCIIs, ensuring indexing (assuming the main site is indexed).

Individual owners still keep their IDNs, type in traffic goes straight to the relevant page. Stats available for future sales support.

Disadvantages:

If type in traffic is sent to the sub page of the main site, the IDN itself doesn't get an opportunity to get indexed in it's own right. Needs some considered choice of which IDNs to develop as standalone, and which to use main site linking to.

Others?
Old 4th August 2006, 03:46 PM

From experience, collective projects always start positively but usually founder in a hailstorm of recriminations. You see, no two people EVER bring exactly the same skills to the project or put in the same effort - at least, not the way they perceive it. For-profit projects are even worse - the beauty of a dmoz, wikipedia, wikitravel etc. is that it doesn't matter how much or how little any one participant does, since they're not doing it for money anyway...

If you're going to go for joint projects at all, work with 1-2 other people you can REALLY trust and push EACH OTHER so that you can individually achieve more than you would have done without the external impetus.

Failing that, it's perfectly possible - given enough time and resources - to teach yourself everything you need to make a successful website. Thousands of people already have, after all.
Old 4th August 2006, 04:11 PM
Veteran

To get some idea of what a complete outsider with no previous experience can achieve on their own with a simple application like Front Page within a few hours of opening the package, take a look at this.

Search Google on for the following Keywords:

bridge Inspection

paint Inspection

principal Inspections

bridge assessment

Click on the first dot Biz you come to!

I did this myself and did all the SEO work without really knowing much about it at all. The site has been a success as a site but not really much use as business. The target niche didn't really exist in the way that I had envisaged. Nevertheless, it does show how somebody from outside the Development, SEO and even domaining community can get started fairly easily without any knowledge of HTML or any of the other scripts. I got into domaining trying to get the dot com for my site after realising that Principalinspections.com was not a good domain, because people did not search for that. This is how I got into domaining in the first place. This was done on my own before I even joined a forum. Development is not beyond the Wit of man, but it is hard work!

PS I am not trying to detract from the more sophisticated work of those that know what they are doing!