IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2006, 06:00 PM

alex is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Any quicker way to "development".

I don't see any shortcuts to true quality development. I am trying to automate as much as I can, but at this stage I am mostly interested in testing to see the difference between between parking service revenue and my own minimally developed parking mini-sites. Those results will determine whether I leave most of my names on parking services or put more time into moving them to mini-sites.

Either way, the long term plan is to pull more and more select names from the parked pool and build quality sites on them. The end goals being to establish sites that allow me to move higher up the percentage ladder by establishing closer ties will sellers or service providers and inking lucrative direct contracts with advertisers rather than settling for a percent of a percent with intermediate advertising services. This won't be quick, cheap or easy, but hopefully early parking and smaller developed site revenues will help pay for more ambitious development.

I recently saw Chris Chena's name mentioned on another site. His story is interesting in that he got into the game relatively recently and is highly focused on a small number a quality sites rather than a large number of cookie cutter sites. He is an advocate of the value of the developing the broadest generics possible. He is also one of NameDrive's seed investors.

DN Journal Interview
Domaining Blog Q&A
Old 4th August 2006, 06:32 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

I can offer my translation service in English - Thai if anyone is interested. Feel free to PM me to discuss further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275
I personally do not recommand pasting wiki info or other content that is in another site as it is duplicate content and you can get penalized for it by google (you might not be penalized..but even if u wont, u wont score high)

However, you can take an article and change / play with the words a little..minimal changes and this way you are safe with google (obviously hard to do in foreign languages we dont speak..but translators arent costly via elance i.e)
- For those who dont know, dont auto translate from babel fish as u will get a completly wrong translation

I am now working on a CMS (content managment system) template that allows you to add pages/content...change title..tags etc...
change google/yahoo adsense code etc...
change images...and the template is as "changable" as possible
(it will also turn php to html which imo still is better seo wise)

This is like a in between solution...

it isnt a 1 parked page...(it will avg 20-30 pages..but can always add)
and it isnt a fully developed site...

if done right..those templates can get very nice placement in the serp's.

As most here would never have time to go and fully develop half of the domains owned this is the best solution imo (u also elliminate the parking service provider=more $ per click)
Old 4th August 2006, 06:55 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think if one thinks about it there are plenty of ways to develop.

I don't think most of us can actively search for new reg's & spending thinking time to efficiently develop.

I stopped regging to concentrate on development. I think those buying on the afttermarket it's a bit easy but doing research on regs is harder.
This is really for those who already have a large portfolio.

I choose to put my domains in groups & think about the types of sites that could be made from them. I choose to concentrate on domains with commercial value from the beginning.

So for example I have over 60 to 80 loan & finance related jps, coms, & nets
They can all get the exact same design with different content better yet they can all be interlinked together too.

I have about 10 to 20 Affiliate Domains
Same design, change content a little interlink them

Probably about 200 travel related Domains
Each these can be one page interlinked together
All of these are Hotel, Accomodation, Tours, Ryokans

Then I have about 10 to 20 domains that I needed someone to program a script for me.

It really depends on how you went about registrations. I could keep registering domains of words that I find but now my focus is to produce a profit with my 600 IDNs. The concept words & nonCommercial domains for me are harder to develop. Almost all of the domains I have I tried to match with an advertisement.

So to sum it up... Group your best commercial domains together. Then see which of those could be developed sharing the same kind of design or script. Get it done yourself or find a developer.
Old 4th August 2006, 07:03 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I think if one thinks about it there are plenty of ways to develop.

I don't think most of us can actively search for new reg's & spending thinking time to efficiently develop.

I stopped regging to concentrate on development. I think those buying on the afttermarket it's a bit easy but doing research on regs is harder.
This is really for those who already have a large portfolio.

I choose to put my domains in groups & think about the types of sites that could be made from them. I choose to concentrate on domains with commercial value from the beginning.

So for example I have over 60 to 80 loan & finance related jps, coms, & nets
They can all get the exact same design with different content better yet they can all be interlinked together too.

I have about 10 to 20 Affiliate Domains
Same design, change content a little interlink them

Probably about 200 travel related Domains
Each these can be one page interlinked together
All of these are Hotel, Accomodation, Tours, Ryokans

Then I have about 10 to 20 domains that I needed someone to program a script for me.

It really depends on how you went about registrations. I could keep registering domains of words that I find but now my focus is to produce a profit with my 600 IDNs. The concept words & nonCommercial domains for me are harder to develop. Almost all of the domains I have I tried to match with an advertisement.

So to sum it up... Group your best commercial domains together. Then see which of those could be developed sharing the same kind of design or script. Get it done yourself or find a developer.
Brilliant concept we are currently trying to follow in these footsteps , the theme Reg's really are a benifit when it comes to the same layout but just altering the content to make it relevant to that particular domain. I sat back watched your moves and tried to keep up.
Old 9th August 2006, 09:34 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
You might get a better return by focusing more effort/resources on a handful of names and producing something decent on them rather than going for the "mile wide, inch deep" approach across all domains.
Picking up on this point of Edwin's, this means that getting hold a small core of really excellent domains to develop later should be a fundamental part of any portfolio strategy.

Why break you back developing something that is about as likely to fly as the average house brick?
Old 8th September 2006, 07:14 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
The big question for me in all this is how much Google will pay you directly for Adsense clicks on mini-websites, compared with how much parkers like NameDrive pay out?

Is it typically a big difference? Obviously parking companies take their cut (typically 50%), but is that the only difference? For example, do Google themselves pay parking companies less for clicks than they pay website owners?

I've given quite a thought on the strategy ahead, and my conclusion is that the best strategy will be to create a 'quicky' HTML mini-website with keyword optimized "subpages" crosslinked, not dissimilar to the templates Adam is selling at DNF, but with more relevant 'text'.

Reasons as follows:

1. As what guru said, parking sites will soon drop off google index, it's only a sooner or later thing. Dropping off is not a pleasant thought, especially when you do not know whether the domain is blacklisted for the long-term. Try searching sex.net, this is blacklisted by Google. Will this domain ever get indexed by Google again?

2. So what we need to create is a Adsense centric replacement to "high CTR" parking sites. The main strategy is to get indexed or included by search engines, but not to have 100x or 1000x traffic - for that sort, the effort is enormous and there is no need at all to use a generic domain. Even thisistheonlydomainicanthinkof.com will suffice.

3. Since we got hundreds of domains we would want to milk, the mini-site has to be easy and fast to create - i've thought of creating a program that can generate such a mini-site automatically.

4. We can further optimize the mini-site by changing the text into something more custom or relevant - freelancers can be hired for this purpose - this is stage 2 or 3, just in case Google becomes more "human" and can "read". :p

Now, the problem - coming out with the relevant text in a foreign language. The only thing i can think of now is using Wikipedia articles, but that might not be detailed enough for subpages.

This being a serious topic that will affect everyone of us, please reply with clear thoughts. Try not to reply for the sake of replying.

Last edited by touchring; 8th September 2006 at 07:28 AM..
Old 8th September 2006, 07:25 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

IDNtemplates.com is looking into something that would benefit most of the members here , we should be making a annoucement in the coming weeks if all goes well.

Also i think this thread should make it way to the member section
Old 8th September 2006, 04:50 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Here we go again.. instead of talking about duplicate content, how about duplicate idnforums thread?
Old 8th September 2006, 05:16 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

My PPC Templates are pretty much done and ready.
Please view a sample on www.ppctip.com/demo
And if you want to see more of the admin and ease of use you can go to:
http://www.ppctip.com/demo/admin.php
UN:super
PW:demo

Pretty much everything can be changed..i.e images,content,sections,title,descriptions,keywords etc etc...

Comments and questions are welcome.

Thanks,
Michael.

Last edited by 555; 8th September 2006 at 05:21 PM..
Old 8th September 2006, 05:43 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
Why are you comparing apples and oranges?

It's pointless to compare the click values of parking vs developing a "real" site (substantial useful, in-depth content, incoming links, etc) since the latter could easily have 10x, 100x, 1000x or more the traffic of the former.

MySpace.com probably got about 1-2 typeins a month when it was still just a domain - now it gets hundreds of millions of visitors a month as a developed site. Do you think the owners are sitting around wondering if their per-click on ads is lower than they would have got by parking the domain all those years ago?

Perhaps it's because there's typically little overlap between the "domainer" and "developer" webmaster communities, but it's amazing how many people stay fixated on the per-click ball whereas the real name of the game is traffic, buckets and buckets of it - and how to get it!

Yes, parking ONE domain requires no effort, whereas developing a site could take weeks of hard work - but when you add up ALL the hours you spend chasing, registering, parking, buying and selling domains, you'll see that equation is deceptive as there is a lot of work involved on both sides of the equation - it's just that in domaining, the work comes in bite-sized helpings.
Edwin: this is one of your best posts ever. Please mark it as a future reference for all future discussions on this subject. There's only two ways:

1. NO WORK: Parked pages = adsense minisites = Low Revenue.

2. HARD WORK: Have a good idea, develop, promote, invest on a domain = High Revenue

Last edited by jose; 8th September 2006 at 06:21 PM..
Old 8th September 2006, 06:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
Edwin: this is one of your best posts ever. Please mark it as a future reference for all future discussions on this subject. There's only two ways:

1. NO WORK: Either parked pages or adsense minisites = Low Revenue.

2. HARD WORK: Have a good idea, develop, promote, invest on a domain = High Revenue

Yes, we all know.

The problem is: Leave a domain in parked status -> get banned by Google sooner or later. See the problem? It's no longer just a revenue problem.

Just because everyone is running off the cliff doesn't mean we have to follow. This has happened before in year 2001, and many here experienced that first hand.

Last edited by touchring; 8th September 2006 at 06:26 PM..
Old 8th September 2006, 06:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Yes, we all know.

The problem is: Leave a domain in parked status -> get banned by Google sooner or later. See the problem? It's no longer just a revenue problem.
Leave them parked. Lot's of reasons. Been there, done that (on ascii). You'll save time and money. Parking is getting better each day, they solve with Google their issues, people don't get content when visiting a parked page and so they keep clicking.

And, don't consult your ND status everyday! Use your time the best you can.

And don't forget the sunscreen! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7zBr96m_VI)

I am talking to myself since I have some nice projects I want to do and keep reading and posting on this forum... where's my procrastination book?!
Old 8th September 2006, 06:43 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Yes, we all know.

Just because everyone is running off the cliff doesn't mean we have to follow. This has happened before in year 2001, and many here experienced that first hand.
Not quite sure where you are coming from here. Google didn't come off Beta until late 1999. In 2000, Google was announcing a partnership with Yahoo and introducing Adwords for the first time. Adwords didn't go PPC until 2002. Adsense wasn't born until 2003.
Old 8th September 2006, 07:17 PM

Armadillo is an unknown quantity at this point

Going with the idea of domains with similar content, resources could be pooled from idnfourms. People could post their websites/pages under a certain content category and others could pick and choose among them to put links to thoe pages on their site and vice versa. Link qulality is very important in seo.

Just a thought.

Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; 8th September 2006 at 08:39 PM..
Old 8th September 2006, 07:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Not quite sure where you are coming from here. Google didn't come off Beta until late 1999. In 2000, Google was announcing a partnership with Yahoo and introducing Adwords for the first time. Adwords didn't go PPC until 2002. Adsense wasn't born until 2003.

Well, we all know that search engines hate parking pages. For one, i suspect that Google algo actually checks DNS server.
Old 8th September 2006, 07:29 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

I didnt get any comments on these yet, not sure why...but these are the best cost effective solution to succesful seo ranking results for our idn's and ascii imo... www.ppctip.com/demo
Old 8th September 2006, 07:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I didnt get any comments on these yet, not sure why...but these are the best cost effective solution to succesful seo ranking results... www.ppctip.com/demo

I would suggest you take a look at DNF's templates, i gave 2 links above. I suspect they use some Windows html generator that given the keyword categories and articles for each category will instantly generate a 50 page website cross linked. The time involved will be to find the keywords and freeware articles.
Old 8th September 2006, 07:31 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

i'm familier with the dnf templates, what is the purpose of the suggestion?
Old 8th September 2006, 07:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Ok, blacklist might be far fetched......
Thank goodness for that. I was beginning to think the only sensible course of action was to sell them or reg fee!
Old 8th September 2006, 07:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
i'm familier with the dnf templates, what is the purpose of the suggestion?

Ok, think about it, for $49 to generate 50-100 pages cross linked, they must have used some method that is fast enough. I suspect each site takes no more than an hour to create.