IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2006, 01:14 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Any quicker way to "development".

Now that we know search engines play an important part for Asian idns since direct navigation is low (e.g. Japanese, Korean, etc), i am wondering if there is a quicker way to "development".

I remembered reading an article on DNjournal about "mini-website style" parking pages as opposed to 1 page parking pages.

Does anyone have experience in those and if any support idns? Any old hand care to share your experience?
Old 4th August 2006, 01:26 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Any quicker way to "development".

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Now that we know search engines play an important part for Asian idns since direct navigation is low (e.g. Japanese, Korean, etc), i am wondering if there is a quicker way to "development".

I remembered reading an article on DNjournal about "mini-website style" parking pages as opposed to 1 page parking pages.

Does anyone have experience in those and if any support idns? Any old hand care to share your experience?
Pull out a page of international wikipedia and paste the page on the domain. Put google adwords on the side so it matches the content. It is allowed and might be a good way to draw traffic.
Old 4th August 2006, 01:35 AM

OldIDNer is an unknown quantity at this point

Just make some simple sites. Add a little original content, get adsense up, do basic seo and build links.

Last edited by OldIDNer; 4th August 2006 at 02:51 AM..
Old 4th August 2006, 01:36 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

I personally do not recommand pasting wiki info or other content that is in another site as it is duplicate content and you can get penalized for it by google (you might not be penalized..but even if u wont, u wont score high)

However, you can take an article and change / play with the words a little..minimal changes and this way you are safe with google (obviously hard to do in foreign languages we dont speak..but translators arent costly via elance i.e)
- For those who dont know, dont auto translate from babel fish as u will get a completly wrong translation

I am now working on a CMS (content managment system) template that allows you to add pages/content...change title..tags etc...
change google/yahoo adsense code etc...
change images...and the template is as "changable" as possible
(it will also turn php to html which imo still is better seo wise)

This is like a in between solution...

it isnt a 1 parked page...(it will avg 20-30 pages..but can always add)
and it isnt a fully developed site...

if done right..those templates can get very nice placement in the serp's.

As most here would never have time to go and fully develop half of the domains owned this is the best solution imo (u also elliminate the parking service provider=more $ per click)
Old 4th August 2006, 02:23 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275
I personally do not recommand pasting wiki info or other content that is in another site as it is duplicate content and you can get penalized for it by google (you might not be penalized..but even if u wont, u wont score high)

However, you can take an article and change / play with the words a little..minimal changes and this way you are safe with google (obviously hard to do in foreign languages we dont speak..but translators arent costly via elance i.e)
- For those who dont know, dont auto translate from babel fish as u will get a completly wrong translation

I am now working on a CMS (content managment system) template that allows you to add pages/content...change title..tags etc...

As most here would never have time to go and fully develop half of the domains owned this is the best solution imo (u also elliminate the parking service provider=more $ per click)

Well, i think time is an issue, so if there's an outsourced solution, i rather go for that.
Old 4th August 2006, 02:24 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Can you get Adsense type ads served up for most languages to go with the sites?
Old 4th August 2006, 02:24 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Pull out a page of international wikipedia and paste the page on the domain. Put google adwords on the side so it matches the content. It is allowed and might be a good way to draw traffic.

Btw, has anyone tried this method? How's the PPC and CTR like? Any risk of blacklist?
Old 4th August 2006, 02:30 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Thousands of news sites post the same "articles"

Plus I know some domain owners who use wiki pages as landing and they make some nice money.
Old 4th August 2006, 02:33 AM

OldIDNer is an unknown quantity at this point

be careful with duplicate content type sites - especially since we may be using nice generic domains or top premium domains - names that one may wish to resell one day based on their genericness - dont damage the goods

true, many do use the same articles, but they often blend it in with other unique content

people used to use dmoz content and it worked well at one time

what works today may be deadly tomorrow

careful is all I will say

Last edited by OldIDNer; 4th August 2006 at 03:05 AM..
Old 4th August 2006, 02:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Thousands of news sites post the same "articles"

Plus I know some domain owners who use wiki pages as landing and they make some nice money.

Ok, blacklist might be far fetched, unless there is hidden text, etc, but i believe you are aware that Google is practices "Smart pricing" - it is possible for a website to earn 5 times more than another site showing the same ads based on how Google values a site.
Old 4th August 2006, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Ok, blacklist might be far fetched, unless there is hidden text, etc, but i believe you are aware that Google is practices "Smart pricing" - it is possible for a website to earn 5 times more than another site showing the same ads based on how Google values a site.
There are other considerations too considering how important Google considers your content.

ie: link farm too will get you no further.
Old 4th August 2006, 02:54 AM
Veteran

Quote:
There are other considerations too considering how important Google considers your content.

ie: link farm too will get you no further.

Yes, thanks. How about: has anyone tried this method for Japanese names? How's the PPC and CTR like?
Old 4th August 2006, 03:03 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
bwhisc:
Can you get Adsense type ads served up for most languages to go with the sites?
You have no control over the served ads, google determines them based on
content language and availability of advertisers etc...

Quote:
Jeff: I know some domain owners who use wiki pages as landing and they make some nice money.
And would make considerably more if would use unique content (there are other factors obviously but google loves unique content..even more if it changes /added frequently

Last edited by 555; 4th August 2006 at 03:21 AM..
Old 4th August 2006, 04:39 AM
Veteran

Yes, but unique content is really time consuming to create.

Time can be an expensive commodity. I seem to think that buying built site with content is less time consuming than creating content from scratch.

But of cos, there's always a hobby factor, in which people derive pleasure from creating unique sites.
Old 4th August 2006, 04:45 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

All depends how you see it ...its another advantage of idn's...as when u take content in english and have someone translate for you...it will never be considered duplicate content and the foreign language translators can be found cheap (for many languages)
Old 4th August 2006, 05:10 AM
Veteran

Quote:
All depends how you see it ...its another advantage of idn's...as when u take content in english and have someone translate for you...it will never be considered duplicate content and the foreign language translators can be found cheap (for many languages)

Yes, using freelancers is one method, but rather than translate, maybe modify the wikipedia article will be more economical. But there still remains the issue of how smart Google will become in detecting modification. A google blacklisted name is almost a goner.

Last edited by touchring; 4th August 2006 at 05:14 AM..
Old 4th August 2006, 05:15 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

well..i dont underestimate google but i think u r safe when a human translates i.e wiki or any other article to another language
Old 4th August 2006, 05:24 AM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I'm no SEO expert but I'm pretty sure duplicate content will not get you banned or blacklisted. You may not rank as high as with original content, but at least you'll rank.

I would guess that if the content were to change at some point and Google re-crawls the page your ranking can recover.
Old 4th August 2006, 05:25 AM
Veteran

Quote:
well..i dont underestimate google but i think u r safe when a human translates i.e wiki or any other article to another language

Hehe, i realized this as well, they seem to be very good at detecting "good websites" now - this will now affect smart pricing. Another way is to create mini-directories. This works for commercial terms.
Old 4th August 2006, 05:28 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

No doubt that manually is best (well when u know what u r doing...) but since its not reasonable to excpect anyone to do it manually for all they're domains and do it somehow right...thats why i chose the cms template...just to give u an idea look at womantowoman.com (its a dnforum ppc template and apperantly it improved ctr alot for who is using it)

they sell them with content but only english/ascii as of now i believe