IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 域名

域名 Discussion for Chinese IDN domain names. Chinese domains include .cn, .com, & .net.
This section is for discussion only Please do NOT post Chinese domains for sale here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2006, 09:22 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Found out something kind of big for .cn

I was checking out my newspaper domain on a chinese register site. I did a whois look up and low and behold I own both versions of the name (simplified and traditional), when I only registered one. Actually according to them I own 4 versions for the price of one.

Proof that the system in chinese already uses idn.idn and already recognizes them

Domain Name: 报纸.中国 報紙.中国 報紙.cn 报纸.cn

The site is.

www.net.cn
Old 25th January 2006, 09:42 PM

holycow is an unknown quantity at this point
I own a couple of the IDN.IDN domains. When you register for those, you also get the traditional and simplified version, as well as the IDN.IDN.cn name.
Old 25th January 2006, 09:45 PM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point
do you need to use a chinese registrar? If so, which chinese registrar do you recommend?

thanks,
Kenneth
Old 25th January 2006, 11:25 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
is this only china?

Can you register for IDN.IDN in Japan too? Like 日本語。日本 If so where?!?!?
Old 25th January 2006, 11:29 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
That's the thing everyone is getting confused on. The .jp will automatically refresh to an idn once designated by icann. You will get this from just ordering the .jp or .com
Old 25th January 2006, 11:31 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
I believe Sarcle registered the .cn and subsequently discovered that the .中国 has already been mapped to it at the registry.

So I'm guessing that if you have the .jp, the .日本 should be mapped to it in future. No need to do anything -- I hope!
Old 26th January 2006, 12:15 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
How can both the .jp and the .com map to IDN extensions? Or will one map to .日本 and the other one to .会社?
Old 26th January 2006, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
How can both the .jp and the .com map to IDN extensions? Or will one map to .日本 and the other one to .会社?
Yes, they will both map separate, obviously.
Old 26th January 2006, 05:45 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
Yes, they will both map separate, obviously.
Nice find....

BUT what happens to that other company that is offering .com names in the other language(China .com .net)? Do they go belly up? (the one that did it not thru ICANN)
Old 26th January 2006, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
So I'm guessing that if you have the .jp, the .日本 should be mapped to it in future. No need to do anything -- I hope!
Yeah! That news totally rocks my world.
Old 26th January 2006, 06:53 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
So .jp in IDN form won't make much sense for companies, if the .com alternative is 会社...
Old 26th January 2006, 07:02 AM

Well hold on...

Quote:
So .jp in IDN form won't make much sense for companies, if the .com alternative is 会社...
Your comment kinda scared me for a second. But I don't buy it. I'm still a believer at the end of the day in the value of a sanctified all Japanese all the time .jp (excuse me .日本) Else what is all that ”我我 日本人” talk about anyway?
Old 26th January 2006, 07:55 AM

Yes, but once it becomes .会社 or .日本, it's no longer .com or .jp since the "com" or "jp" extensions have vanished and it's a FULL IDN.

As an aside, I'm glad I own kaisha.jp, especially since the registry has blocked both 会社.jp and 日本.jp from being registered.
Old 26th January 2006, 08:05 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Quote:
actually makes it better

ring .japan in IDN for .jp!!!!!!!!! booyah

.com and .jp will reign in Japan
Old 26th January 2006, 08:46 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
That's the thing everyone is getting confused on. The .jp will automatically refresh to an idn once designated by icann. You will get this from just ordering the .jp or .com
Well done Sarcle. Top of the Class!

Dave
Old 26th January 2006, 08:49 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Nice find....

BUT what happens to that other company that is offering .com names in the other language(China .com .net)? Do they go belly up? (the one that did it not thru ICANN)
These have only been sold in China.

The Chinese registration policy explains that they can do exactly as they please.

What will almost certainly happen is not much really but those register non-Verisign version will quitely have .CN or .中国 slipped onto the end.

Best Regards
Dave
Old 26th January 2006, 08:55 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, but once it becomes .会社 or .日本, it's no longer .com or .jp since the "com" or "jp" extensions have vanished and it's a FULL IDN.

As an aside, I'm glad I own kaisha.jp, especially since the registry has blocked both 会社.jp and 日本.jp from being registered.
Those wishing to type in the old Latin extension will still be able to do so. For gTLDs you will in theory be able to use any of dozens different variations. It should still resolve even if the dot com is in the Tamil mapping.

Dave
Old 26th January 2006, 09:01 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
actually makes it better

ring .japan in IDN for .jp!!!!!!!!! booyah

.com and .jp will reign in Japan
Yes, the IDN extensions will clearly be much more popular than the old two letter ccTLD versions. Lets face it .COM might be a massive brand, but it doesn't really mean anything. Most people couldn't tell you whether it is any abbreviation of Company or Commercial.

Those holding English Keywords in dot JP are in my opinion on the ROAD TO HELL unless, as Edwin has done, they have been pragmatic enough to get a foot in each camp.

Dave
Old 26th January 2006, 09:04 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Hey guys I was doubtful before but there's merit to this I just found out.

I usually type my Japanese domains by hand

If I'm typing in English
I would type Anime.com
Japanese
アニメ.com
アニメ。com

With The Japanese dot WORKS!!!
It already corrects itself to go to the normal dot.
So basically it makes sense the registry just would have to map it for the language
So for Japanese
アニメ。会社 is staring to make sense

You guys are genious'
Old 26th January 2006, 09:09 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
.公司 maps to .cn for like the past 3 years.

The problem is few people in china uses .公司. It's easier to type .com.

To most Asians, .com doesn't represent commerce - it's just means "internet address". I believe that's the case for Japanese users as well - maybe Olney or Edwin can confirm that.

Last edited by touchring; 26th January 2006 at 09:23 AM..