IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Search Engine Optimization : SEO

Search Engine Optimization : SEO SEO techniques & discussion for IDN Domains.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2006, 09:10 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Question Noob question on subfolders

My hosting choice doesn't allow for unlimited websites to be hosted.

My solution to this problem has been to stick the different websites in sub-folders; here's an example:

www. mydomain.com

on the server i have:

www. mydomain.com/website1
www. mydomain.com/website2

in each subfolder, the website has been placed.

I then mask url forward my domains to www. mydomain.com/website1/index.htm and www. mydomain.com/website2/index.htm etc..

what is the downside of doing this vs properly hosting the websites?

will my website1 ever have chance of getting serp or being indexed; or will it all be attributed to the high level domain name (mydomain)?

Last edited by alpha; 7th August 2006 at 09:13 AM..
Old 8th August 2006, 03:18 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Noob question on subfolders

Get a new host
Not a joke...

There's a lot of extra benefits to have the actual domain hosted & indexed itself.

Let's say you are like me with a million hotel domains
& HOTELS.com

& want to subhost domains to

HOTELS.com/yokohama
HOTELS.com/tokyo
HOTELS.com/shinagawa

You are essentially building up 1 domain.
The main one.

It is good if that's your strategy but it doesn't strengthen the other domains.

If you interlinked them

Yokohamahotels.com
Tokyohotels.com
ShinagawaHotels.com

Even if they were a few or even one page each they should all strengthen each othew in search engine results.

Also for perspective buyer (end user) you now have multiple domains that have been sitting with relevant content.

multiple domain hosting is the way to go.
Old 8th August 2006, 03:20 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Get your wallet out Alpha.
Old 8th August 2006, 03:28 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
multiple domain hosting is the way to go.
I use hostgator and they allow hosting of unlimited subdomains. Would this also be disadvantageous? My over 50 different sites seem to be treated as separate websites by the search engines.

I've never ever seen a true multiple domain host solution advertised without fullout renting a full server. Anyone know such a good service?
Old 8th August 2006, 03:33 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
I use hostgator and they allow hosting of unlimited subdomains. Would this also be disadvantageous? My over 50 different sites seem to be treated as separate websites by the search engines.

Subdomains are this:

subdomain1.domain.com
subdomain2.domain.com
subdomain3.domain.com

and yes they are treated as separate sites by search engines.

Quote:
I've never ever seen a true multiple domain host solution advertised without fullout renting a full server. Anyone know such a good service?
You need to fullout get a whole server.

In fact you can get a lown end VPS (virtual private server) for $19.95 a month.

http://rimuhosting.com/order/startorder.jsp

Of course if you mention my name, I'll get credit. But that's not why I'm posting. I've used these guys myself for over two years.
Old 8th August 2006, 03:42 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

But each domain is treated as a domain right?
What Alph is suggesting seems like just a subdirectory & using masked forwarding.

Quote:

Old 8th August 2006, 03:55 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

I've been using Dreamhost and they allow unlimited domains and subdomains and no problems...

Works out to about $35 for 20G and 1TB Bandwidth per year -- If signing up with them use the code HOTTESTHOST. It will knock $85 off the 1 year plan which is usually $119 or so...
Plus they give me 12 bucks..
Old 8th August 2006, 03:55 AM

[QUOTE=blastfromthepast]Subdomains are this:

subdomain1.domain.com
subdomain2.domain.com
subdomain3.domain.com

and yes they are treated as separate sites by search engines.

You need to fullout get a whole server.

QUOTE]

Sorry Blast, I don't follow. If my subdomains are treated as separate sites by search engines why do I need to get a whole server again?
Old 8th August 2006, 04:22 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
But each domain is treated as a domain right?
What Alph is suggesting seems like just a subdirectory & using masked forwarding.
Ok well I just moved my hosting.

I'm still interested to know what the heck I was doing?

it wasn't subdomaining.
Old 8th August 2006, 05:24 AM
Veteran

SEO tips removed because they were not appreciated.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 8th August 2006 at 04:39 PM..
Old 8th August 2006, 09:13 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast

Of course domain name matching is not the only criteria used by google, but it is significant enough that people buy domains that match the keyword. When combined with the right content and title of page, it can be very helpful in bringing your page up in the search results. .......
Except that we are not really sure whether this is really yet valid for Keywords in Unicode. Eventually, all the search engines must take proper account of Unicode in URL, which has to be a lot more pertinent than ASCII, but I am not sure if that is currently the case. Indeed for a URL I am not even sure if they have not had a small database of English translations that get matched, which may mean that for the time being the local scripts are actually being disadvantaged.
Old 8th August 2006, 09:15 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Except that we are not really sure whether this is really yet valid for Keywords in Unicode. Eventually, all the search engines must take proper account of Unicode in URL, which has to be a lot more pertinent than ASCII, but I am not sure if that is currently the case. Indeed for a URL I am not even sure if they have not had a small database of English translations that get matched, which may mean that for the time being the local scripts are actually being disadvantaged.
In the case of Google, you know your domain name has been matched when it displays it in bold in the search results.
Old 8th August 2006, 09:20 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
In the case of Google, you know your domain name has been matched when it displays it in bold in the search results.
Well this is what I mean for Unicode I get:

Sorry, no information is available for the URL 隼.com

If the URL is valid, try visiting that web page by clicking on the following link: 隼.com
Find web pages from the site 隼.com
Find web pages that contain the term "隼.com"

and for Punycode I get this:

隼.com隼.com. Sponsored Links for 西藏 ». Student Credit Card. Looking for student credit card? This is the right place! www.stidentcreditcard.com ...
www.隼.com/

Google can show you the following information for this URL:

Show Google's cache of xn--4n5a.com
Find web pages that are similar to xn--4n5a.com
Find web pages that link to xn--4n5a.com
Find web pages from the site xn--4n5a.com
Find web pages that contain the term "xn--4n5a.com"

Doesn't look to me as though the Unicode in the URL means anything to Google. Sure it displays, but does it actually include it in its Algorythms. I think not!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 8th August 2006 at 09:31 AM..
Old 8th August 2006, 10:58 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well this is what I mean for Unicode I get:

Sorry, no information is available for the URL 隼.com

If the URL is valid, try visiting that web page by clicking on the following link: 隼.com
Find web pages from the site 隼.com
Find web pages that contain the term "隼.com"

and for Punycode I get this:

隼.com隼.com. Sponsored Links for 西藏 ». Student Credit Card. Looking for student credit card? This is the right place! www.stidentcreditcard.com ...
www.隼.com/

Google can show you the following information for this URL:

Show Google's cache of xn--4n5a.com
Find web pages that are similar to xn--4n5a.com
Find web pages that link to xn--4n5a.com
Find web pages from the site xn--4n5a.com
Find web pages that contain the term "xn--4n5a.com"

Doesn't look to me as though the Unicode in the URL means anything to Google. Sure it displays, but does it actually include it in its Algorythms. I think not!

this is all interesting stuff; but what's important is does Google return your domain in the search results when just searching for the term in Unicode without extension?

(a single symbol domain is probably not a good example.)

If it does, great.

If it doesn't then we are f*cked.
Old 8th August 2006, 02:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
this is all interesting stuff; but what's important is does Google return your domain in the search results when just searching for the term in Unicode without extension?

(a single symbol domain is probably not a good example.)

If it does, great.

If it doesn't then we are f*cked.
If it won't return a domain when you search on Unicode with the extension, it is telling me that it doesn't recognise the Unicode in search. It recognises the Punycode in search and then converts it to Unicode, but it ain't specifically recognising the Unicode in the URL. Of course they will have to change that, but for the time being as far a Google is concerned our advantage is scorched. Worse, I think they are are actuallly checking the URLs for the English equivalent of the Japanese they are ignoring!

Search on 川越.com and it would appear the you do yet the Unicode in URL in bold, even though I have had to fake it here when pasting into the thread!

http://www.xn--5rt447h.com/ - このページを和訳
www.川越.com - 2006年7月29日 - このサイト内で検索

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 8th August 2006 at 02:49 PM..
Old 11th August 2006, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
I've been using Dreamhost and they allow unlimited domains and subdomains and no problems...

Works out to about $35 for 20G and 1TB Bandwidth per year -- If signing up with them use the code HOTTESTHOST. It will knock $85 off the 1 year plan which is usually $119 or so...
Plus they give me 12 bucks..
OK - Dreamhost is great value for the price. I switched from Hostgator to Dreamhost so that I wouldn't have subdomains anymore.

Dreamhost is great but I miss my AWSTATS terrbly and I lack the technical chops to get AWSTATS up and running for my domains. (The help wiki seems to be directed towards c.s. grad students....as opposed to the noobie). Is there anyone here that can install AWSTATS for me at Dreamhost? I'm happy to pay something reasonable.