View Single Post
Old 9th February 2007, 12:24 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: symbols/dingbats are safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I don't think it is really something ICANN has much control over either. They are switching from one version of Unicode to another, which are based on different principles. I think you will find that your domains will just stop working, whether they can be renewed or not. If the punycode you have registered no longer decodes to anything meaningful then you are knackered whether Verisign allows you to renew or not.
My understanding is that they switching from an "exclusive" system to an "inclusive" one. So previously, only certain specific unicode code points were excluded from registration. But with the new inclusive system, the IETF are actually approving every single code point that will be allowed in future IDNA. That means many code points won't make it, including dingbats / symbols / strange spaces, punctuation etc.

As for what the IETF actually is, try this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...ing_Task_Force

or just visit ietf.org