IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th August 2006, 09:46 PM

vgemito is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: i can not believe it!!!

Very interesting thread. 40 responses since noon.
I am humbled since I thought I was the only one to notice the dismal environment for selling in this forum. Nude.com and Tokyo.net (the latter off-site I believe) seem to have been extreme anomolies, based in large part on "provenance" of the names. The last word I remember is that management was satisfied to have this a discussion forum rather than a market. If so, it is working out that way. It is a pity, though, because it might be both with the right outlook.

Regards
Old 8th August 2006, 09:54 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
I don't have a doubt it will. Remember, if anyone wants to cash out their portfolio now, I'll give them 30% on top of your costs - just let me cherry pick the good ones. What's the stock market done for you this year?

In Japanese IDNs I view this as very much a 2-3 year game.

Depending on how the financial markets move, it might not be possible to cherry pick names at just 30% above costs. There are 2 opposite forces at work - the general sentiment of the stock market, ascii market and IE7.

Feds have stopped raising Interest Rates - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060808/...interest_rates

Take a look at this chart - http://news.yahoo.com/photo/060808/4...013006bernanke

Notice how interest rates peaked in 2000.

Last edited by touchring; 8th August 2006 at 09:57 PM..
Old 8th August 2006, 09:56 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgemito
Very interesting thread. 40 responses since noon.
I am humbled since I thought I was the only one to notice the dismal environment for selling in this forum. Nude.com and Tokyo.net (the latter off-site I believe) seem to have been extreme anomolies, based in large part on "provenance" of the names. The last word I remember is that management was satisfied to have this a discussion forum rather than a market. If so, it is working out that way. It is a pity, though, because it might be both with the right outlook.

Regards
If you think this is a "dismal" selling environment, then "try somewhere else". And I mean that quite literally. My guess is there isn't anywhere better than here. The number of IDN buyers is still extremely small, there are essentially zero end-user buyers.

So the only buyers are "us". And most of "us", have lots of ways to spend cash. Whether it be on new regges, or behinds the scenes deals with forum members, or other IDN owners, or perish the thought, SnapNames auctions, ASCII domains, or alchohol.
Old 8th August 2006, 10:09 PM

vgemito is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
So the only buyers are "us". And most of "us", have lots of ways to spend cash. Whether it be on new regges, or behinds the scenes deals with forum members, or other IDN owners, or perish the thought, SnapNames auctions, ASCII domains, or alchohol.
In your case, I'm thinking, mainly "alchohol" (sp).

Nice diversion from the subject.

Regards
Old 8th August 2006, 10:11 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgemito
In your case, I'm thinking, mainly "alchohol" (sp).

Nice diversion from the subject.

Regards
Let's put it this way. I could drink all night and still not "fancy" most of the names that come up for sale :p
Old 8th August 2006, 10:21 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
Let's put it this way. I could drink all night and still not "fancy" most of the names that come up for sale
And there's the root of the problem. And I don't mean the drinking.
Old 8th August 2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
And there's the root of the problem. And I don't mean the drinking.
The root of the problem is that for every buyer, there are 10 sellers. It ain't rocket science. And when I see yet another auction of "great names" that were regged yesterday, excuse me for not buying.

I'm quite happy buying IDNs. I have been one of the more active buyers of IDNs in the last few months. But I don't appreciate people moaning all the time that nobody is buying. If they are so sure of the immense value of IDNs, they would get their own wallets out a bit more often.
Old 8th August 2006, 11:14 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Me being the owner of the forum I personally don't think anything of Mods buying or selling off board. Each of us are our own business. Hell if I could give you guys better places to sell I would. & if I get more investment money this year I'll develop it.

I think many people will fall into regging way too much. This is a personal opinion & I'm not saying anyone in particular falls into this.

Think about your business strategy well. I tried to. I keep reminding myself of my personal forecast of the market. I keep thinking that IDNs will be mainstream about a year after IE7 is in use. Until then the market isn't open & we are doing presales. Out of 600 regs I only plan to sell less than 10 (of ones I consider premium) a year anyway. The longer you can handle your portfolio the more valuable it becomes.

We can keep regging looking for those to just sell soon but some of those regs might clutter your overall portfolio. We're almost a year old. My suggestion is build a portfolio you can easily handly for at least 2 years. Don't reg those you'd consider dropping.
Old 8th August 2006, 11:15 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

off-topic :

Snapnames opens the door for investors to bid anonymously ánd with a fair amount of discretion. Good for the investors, not so good for the market if the sales are unknown but that will change with idn becoming more high-profile for investors so I don't see any harm in this.

As to the ts; idn's are flipped here as if there were no tomorrow, I am not suprised whatsoever that people got confused with all the crap that is floating around.
Old 8th August 2006, 11:34 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
As Mr. T would say, "I pity the fool that wastes his money at Snapnames"....
But there are also some people grabbing some fantastic deals at Snapnames.
Their just not bragging about them...
Old 8th August 2006, 11:59 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
But there are also some people grabbing some fantastic deals at Snapnames.
Their just not bragging about them...
I got some very good names at Snapnames, I have been their loyal customer since day 1. I highly recommend investors to spend some time there and here, a good name is worth buying regardless where they are listed for sale or who sells it.

The person that I dislike most is the one that constantly complains people paying too much bidding against him or adviced Drewbert not to spend his time foolishly catching drops. People that beat you at the auction have money to invest, they are not fools. People that picked up all the good drops and left nothing for you because they are experts.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 9th August 2006, 12:53 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

The junk to decent name ratio has skyrocketed in the sales forums here recently. That's normal, since the closer we get to the end-game (IE7, people in the wider world start to recognize and accept IDNs etc.) the more we can see a timeframe in which the decent names will have significant value.

At the same time, there are tons of newbies pouring into these forums, many (but not all) of whom seem bent on the "registered at lunchtime, sold by teatime" domain flipping mentality.

Bottom line is that unless it's an amazing domain clearly displayed in the subject line of a sales post and offered by somebody "known" to the community, I doubt it will raise much interest in here - or "out there" either since, for any perceived faults, this forum still represents for the time being the largest critical mass of IDN domainers.

Also, remember that it's still possible TODAY to spend a few minutes "mining" the unregistered names and come up with better stuff than a lot of the $10-50 range names being sold here. Just because it's "in the dictionary" doesn't make it valuable!
Old 9th August 2006, 02:00 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
Also, remember that it's still possible TODAY to spend a few minutes "mining" the unregistered names and come up with better stuff than a lot of the $10-50 range names being sold here. Just because it's "in the dictionary" doesn't make it valuable!
Thanks for reemphasizing this point Edwin.
A small investiment in dictionaries in excel formats, combined with the online resources available at idntools.net can bring excellent results. My other advice, partner up with native speakers who can help search for niches that may not have been taken and insure you have the best translations for each term.
Old 9th August 2006, 10:14 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Thanks for reemphasizing this point Edwin.
A small investiment in dictionaries in excel formats, combined with the online resources available at idntools.net can bring excellent results. My other advice, partner up with native speakers who can help search for niches that may not have been taken and insure you have the best translations for each term.
Any natives who choose not to register names themselves but to enter in such a partnership are fools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Depending on how the financial markets move, it might not be possible to cherry pick names at just 30% above costs.
I wonder why you like to mix up the stock market into this. I doubt a move in the financial market will have any impact on the IDN market, simply because the volume of total investment in the later is so small. For $500 000 you are likely to be able to buy any IDN out there today, even from the greediest of early investors, most are willing to go out for $50K even for the best names.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 9th August 2006 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 9th August 2006, 10:45 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Any natives who choose not to register names themselves but to enter in such a partnership are fools.

I wonder why you like to mix up the stock market into this. I doubt a move in the financial market will have any impact on the IDN market, simply because the volume of total investment in the later is so small. For $500 000 you are likely to be able to buy any IDN out there today, even from the greediest of early investors, most are willing to go out for $50K even for the best names.
Or just no domainsers!

My sentiments, but I refrained from commenting first off for a change.
Old 9th August 2006, 10:47 AM
Veteran

Quote:

Well, these are my opinions, it's up to you how to interpret it. There are a myraid of factors influencing market sentiments - and there are also positive factors like IE7, among others.

Everyone has his opinion, and i think it's ok for profiteers to profit - notice i never made any adverse comment on any particular domain sale or auction either on the thread or in another thread - but at the same time, I think i have the right to voice my own opinion. What i dislike on this forum is presence of 汉奸 (not referring to you).

In the meantime, let's come back to this thread in a year's time to see where we stand a year from now.

Last edited by touchring; 9th August 2006 at 11:03 AM..
Old 9th August 2006, 10:54 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
That a rather opinionated comment.

I have enjoyed a relationship with a native or two.

Their contribution was language skills.
My contribution was financial.

Neither one of us could benefit without the other. what's so foolish about this?
- I have no doubt that with their financial gain they registered names for themselves.
Old 9th August 2006, 11:01 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Well, these are my opinions, it's up to you how to interpret it. There are a myraid of factors influencing market sentiments - and there are also positive factors like IE7, among others.

Everyone has his opinion, and i think it's ok for profiteers to profit, though i think i have the right to voice my balanced picture opinion. What i dislike on this forum is presence of 汉奸 (not referring to you).
Being a 奸 is all relative, if your country is run by an 'oppresive' 'dictatorship/regime' and you suddenly find a relatively anonymous outlet for your pent up frustrations and anger then it is only natural to vent...
It really only goes to show how people really feel about their country and goes to prove the picture painted by said 'regime/dictatorship' is not as rosy as made out to be...

(Applicable to any country)

Last edited by mulligan; 9th August 2006 at 11:05 AM..
Old 9th August 2006, 11:10 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
Being a 奸 is all relative, if your country is run by an 'oppresive' 'dictatorship/regime' and you suddenly find a relatively anonymous outlet for your pent up frustrations and anger then it is only natural to vent...
It really only goes to show how people really feel about their country and goes to prove the picture painted by said 'regime/dictatorship' is not as rosy as made out to be...

(Applicable to any country)

This has nothing to do with 奸, but this aside, i think ultimately money talks and morals or ideology are really just propaganda, and means rather than the ends.

About 汉奸, i often read about them in Chinese history, especially so during the Japanese WWII days, in China and in South East Asia, didn't understand why they existed then, but now i know - it's all about money. And for the sake of money, people sell their souls and betray their own people.

Last edited by touchring; 9th August 2006 at 11:15 AM..
Old 9th August 2006, 11:26 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

I should have put 汉奸 rather than 奸 as I dont know the term for 汉奸 with regards to other countries..

It may be about money to some extent but I have a feeling its not all there is to it... People dislike their countries for many reasons -- oppression - past wrongs commited against family/friends - wrongful incarceration - restricted freedom - censorship etc etc..
And while it is something you dont do in 'public' as there may be harsh penalties those feelings will come out somewhere..
Closed Thread