IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2006, 12:34 AM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point
My experience with IE7

With a very guilty feeling I am reporting to you, my fellow IDNers, that I couldn't wait and downloaded IE7 final (I hope) version from one of the tech forums and tested it.

All I can say is that two minutes later I regged another 20 or so domains :-)
Old 27th January 2006, 12:39 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
IE7

Are you sharing that forum name with us? And how about telling us a few of your best reg's. Thanks
Old 27th January 2006, 12:45 AM

idnnow is an unknown quantity at this point
I am happy to see you enjoy regging. When you make money, so do I.
Old 27th January 2006, 12:47 AM

I feel a little funny about sharing the info where I downloaded IE7 since it's not kosher to do so. But it didn't take me a lot of time to find the link.

As far as the domain names I regged today, they are not top tier quality by any means, since the majority of top IDNs are taken, so there is nothing to write home about.
Old 27th January 2006, 12:59 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
how do you work this thing?

Explorer what beta version did you download? Because v 7.05112.0, didn't rock my world. How did you turn on IDN support?
Old 27th January 2006, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Explorer what beta version did you download? Because v 7.05112.0, didn't rock my world. How did you turn on IDN support?
The version I am using is 7.0.5299.0 and I didn't have to turn IDN support on. It was on.
Old 27th January 2006, 03:32 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
The version I am using is 7.0.5299.0 and I didn't have to turn IDN support on. It was on.
Microsoft said that it will detect the language of the idn and display only names in the language you enabled on your regional option setting.

Have you tried experimenting with that?
Old 27th January 2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Microsoft said that it will detect the language of the idn and display only names in the language you enabled on your regional option setting.

Have you tried experimenting with that?
Yes, I added several european languages and it worked. Asian languages for some reason did not. The software overall is a little buggy, but who am I to complain?

P.S. On a more interesting note, they have Spanish Argentina, Spanish Mexico, Spanish Chile, etc and ... Spanish United States.
Old 27th January 2006, 03:58 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo
It's not possible to detect the language from just the domain name, statistically it is impossible to discriminate between different languages with the same characterset, so they have to work with vocabularies...powerful but slow.
Old 27th January 2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
It's not possible to detect the language from just the domain name, statistically it is impossible to discriminate between different languages with the same characterset, so they have to work with vocabularies...powerful but slow.

When I typed in Spanish IDN, it showed it in Punicode and asked me if I want to add an additional language to display it properly. I added Spanish and the browser showed the original Spanish IDN in the URL bar. Same thing happened with the Russian, French and German IDNs.

I think it's possible to detect the language or at least to detect the wrong language from the domain name. If I reg an IDN and put a wrong language tag, the registrar won't let me register that domain.
Old 27th January 2006, 06:36 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
When I typed in Spanish IDN, it showed it in Punicode and asked me if I want to add an additional language to display it properly. I added Spanish and the browser showed the original Spanish IDN in the URL bar. Same thing happened with the Russian, French and German IDNs.

I think it's possible to detect the language or at least to detect the wrong language from the domain name. If I reg an IDN and put a wrong language tag, the registrar won't let me register that domain.
You mean, you had to activate French after you had enabled Spanish ?
Old 27th January 2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
You mean, you had to activate French after you had enabled Spanish ?
Am I guilty of political incorrectness? :-)
Old 27th January 2006, 07:13 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
No, it would seem that Microsoft have got it completely wrong. IDN is about scripts not languages. No wonder they cannot get the bloody thing to market. If they had taken any interest at all in the IDN debate over the last 3 years they would have understood this. We are clearly dealing with idiots!

Best Regards
Dave
Old 27th January 2006, 07:27 PM

Timm is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
LOL

Quote:
statistically it is impossible to discriminate between different languages with the same characterset
in the frist years of IDN, you could register characters from different languages within one Domain, e.g äê.com (german/french)

when the stories about homogrpah attacks popped up (eg paypal.com spelled with kyrillic "a"), ICANN (was it ICANN?) introduced proconfiguration when registering IDNs. From then on, you had to also put in the language of the name, so you cannot combine charcters from different languages within one domain.

having said that, I wonder how IE7 will find out what language the mixed domains have, that have been registered before the homograph attack issue.
Old 27th January 2006, 07:35 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
The whole thing is nonsense. Chinese and Japanese are two totally unrelated languages but many words are the written the same. Hindi and Urdu are essentially a single language written in two different scripts. Much of Pakistan speaks one language, but is only literate in another.

I think someone needs to go on Encarta, and start with his ABC!

Dave
Old 27th January 2006, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I mean, it works per language and not per characterset ?

Using only one word you can not get a very high probability in guessing the right language, if according to you, languages are always guessed correctly it's beyond logic, they must use a database of some kind.
Old 27th January 2006, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm
LOL

in the frist years of IDN, you could register characters from different languages within one Domain, e.g äê.com (german/french)

when the stories about homogrpah attacks popped up (eg paypal.com spelled with kyrillic "a"), ICANN (was it ICANN?) introduced proconfiguration when registering IDNs. From then on, you had to also put in the language of the name, so you cannot combine charcters from different languages within one domain.

having said that, I wonder how IE7 will find out what language the mixed domains have, that have been registered before the homograph attack issue.
ä is not a german character, it's a latin character that is used in the german language , that's what I mean with "guessing" the language, it primarily has to do with combinations of characters, the characters in themselves determine the range of languages.
Old 27th January 2006, 08:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I mean, it works per language and not per characterset ?

Using only one word you can not get a very high probability in guessing the right language, if according to you, languages are always guessed correctly it's beyond logic, they must use a database of some kind.
It going to have to be based on Language Tags if it is going to work at all, which means that we all need to activate Afrikaans as that will be what most domains are registered with as nobody has gone to any great length to point out the significance of any of this and at the moment the Tags, don't even appear on the Whois record. You certainly cannot change them at the moment.

If I ever decide to use it at all I will just activate everything!

Best Regards
Dave
Old 27th January 2006, 08:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
ä is not a german character, it's a latin character that is used in the german language , that's what I mean with "guessing" the language, it primarily has to do with combinations of characters, the characters in themselves determine the range of languages.
Yes but any algorythm designed for Latin is going to be useless in Arabic, let alone Hanzi and Kanji!!!

Dave
Old 27th January 2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator

It will be designed for unicode and kanji and hanzi are in there somewhere .