IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

View Poll Results: Is it possible to buy generic .com with traffic on this forum without paying the sky?
Rarely possible, with luck, it's possible. 14 53.85%
Yes, plenty of opportunities. 4 15.38%
I dunno. :p 0 0%
No 8 30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2006, 05:22 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it possible to buy generic .com with traffic on this forum without paying the sky?

Do you think it's possible to buy generic .coms with traffic on this forum without paying the sky?
Old 14th August 2006, 05:35 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it possible to buy generic .com with traffic on this forum without paying the sky?

No.
Old 14th August 2006, 06:08 AM
Veteran

Re: Is it possible to buy generic .com with traffic on this forum without paying the

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
No.

Kekeke... i guess i should have included a No! option.

Yup, it's getting harder -- even Register.com, and probably other registries have started to keep good traffic names for themselves. The opportunity to gather a 150k a mth ND folio like Dilpup's is officially over, at least for now.

I'm now at my wits end on how to continue portfolio building without using a time machine. The amount of effort is getting incredible! It's NNN times harder to register or acquire a money making PPC generic today than it was 3 years ago. :p

Last edited by touchring; 14th August 2006 at 06:29 AM..
Old 14th August 2006, 10:37 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: Is it possible to buy generic .com with traffic on this forum without paying the

i found the question confusing. Are you talking about ASCII or IDN? It sounds like you are talking about ASCII, but then the question mentions "on this forum", which obviously implies IDN. Please clarify.
Old 14th August 2006, 12:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
i found the question confusing. Are you talking about ASCII or IDN? It sounds like you are talking about ASCII, but then the question mentions "on this forum", which obviously implies IDN. Please clarify.

IDN.
Old 14th August 2006, 01:05 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Kekeke... i guess i should have included a No! option.

Yup, it's getting harder -- even Register.com, and probably other registries have started to keep good traffic names for themselves. The opportunity to gather a 150k a mth ND folio like Dilpup's is officially over, at least for now.

I'm now at my wits end on how to continue portfolio building without using a time machine. The amount of effort is getting incredible! It's NNN times harder to register or acquire a money making PPC generic today than it was 3 years ago. :p
So all this applies to IDNs not ASCII? Sure sounds like ASCII to me ... still confused :p
Old 14th August 2006, 01:07 PM

OldIDNer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is it possible to buy generic .com with traffic on this forum without paying the sky?

this poll is missing a hell no option
Old 14th August 2006, 01:32 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Not possible. I suspect most will never go on sale on forums, but will go to end users making sky high offers.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 14th August 2006 at 01:41 PM..
Old 14th August 2006, 01:41 PM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

Define "sky"?

IDN multiplier has to be greater than normal asc multipler. It's not even speculation. Per click value is likely to go up significantly then there's IE7.

So the next poll should be about the expected/acceptable IDN multiplier.
Old 14th August 2006, 01:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIDNer
this poll is missing a hell no option

Yup, i thought "No" is too strong a word, so i used "Rarely possible, with luck, it's possible.".

Well, there's always the lucky buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenne
Define "sky"?

IDN multiplier has to be greater than normal asc multipler. It's not even speculation. Per click value is likely to go up significantly then there's IE7.

So the next poll should be about the expected/acceptable IDN multiplier.

Well, that's subjective - different people, buyers and sellers got different level of optimism for a particular name. In the first place, for a deal to be possible, the buyer must be more optimistic than the seller for that name. Unless there are other some serious reasons for selling, like to pay debts, etc.

I'm very curious about the current market situation - anyone studied economic in varsity? What kind of goods should domains be classified? Luxurious? Necesity? Elastic?

Last edited by touchring; 14th August 2006 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 14th August 2006, 02:07 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Touchring...can you define "generic" so we are all on the same playing field.

There are lots of names that boarder on, or are sub-catagory generics.

Or are you only refering to premium generics that define an entire catagory- ie: vacation, cars, computers, games, etc.
Old 14th August 2006, 02:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Touchring...can you define "generic" so we are all on the same playing field.

There are lots of names that boarder on, or are sub-catagory generics.

Or are you only refering to premium generics that define an entire catagory- ie: vacation, cars, computers, games, etc.

Single word, dictionary term like Software, Job, Music, Games (well, i was told game.co.uk was WIPOed and the owner lost it!), Dictionary, Translation, Real Estate, Hotel, etc. Does not have to be huge, but at least single word.
Old 14th August 2006, 02:43 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Single word, dictionary term like Software, Job, Music, Games (well, i was told game.co.uk was WIPOed and the owner lost it!), Dictionary, Translation, Real Estate, Hotel, etc. Does not have to be huge, but at least single word.

I would be very surprised if the owners even consider selling those.
Old 14th August 2006, 03:29 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Those are all HUGE...except maybe in Africaaans. lol
Old 14th August 2006, 04:32 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think no, even in undeveloped markets members might hold out.
Because of the way search engines work it's not hard to actually figure which domains will do well after they fix the parking issue.
I do feel most want to concentrate only on dot coms, I think some of us hold jps & cns generics (actually more) that might even get traffic, but there hasn't been much interest in the resell market in those. We've seen dot nets being bought for higher price than jps or cns...

There's only a limited amount of premium one word domains that everyone wants.

You sell now & you know you're not getting it back...
Old 14th August 2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

This looks a bit like one of those Fox News Sean Hannity polls where the real answer isn't in there because the poll asker doesn't want it included in that stats.

A bit like.

a. George Bush is doing a great job.

b. George Bush is doing OK.

c. I hate America.

Old 14th August 2006, 04:57 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

OK poll edited to include a clear "NO"
Old 15th August 2006, 11:32 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
You shouldn't be surprised. I have been talking about a rapidly closing window of opportunity for weeks. You are just confirming that that is happening. Why are you surprised that people are asking high prices, when in the same breadth you admit you have no clue where to go to get a good name? Those holding out for a half decent price have reason on their side. If they cannot get the asking now, it won't be long before they can. Those that are being completely irrational are those that are holding back expecting prices to drop further.
Old 16th August 2006, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Your only hope now is that IE7 gets delayed and renewal time comes around and a few people get desperate for cash.
Old 16th August 2006, 12:59 AM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

In another poll thread I asked, from buyer's perspective, what revenue multiplier is considered reasonable.
The results comes back solidly in the 100x-200x range, but when I put out an auction with reserve price at 100x, no one wanted it.

It's all quite puzzling.