IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2006, 01:47 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Your Opinion Or Advice Is Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
I reported the attacking posts to the moderation team at the time, with comments. I felt that it168 was way, way out of line.

I am frankly amazed that the whole thing was allowed to continue for so long, with a ranting newbie attacking again and again one of the most established members of this forum. My own impulse would be to err on the side of caution and keep things smooth and friendly by banning more readily the real troublemakers.

Don't get me wrong, Olney has a great community going here, but the bigger it gets the messier it becomes, following the path of just about every forum out there. Seemingly the only way to counter that would be to get stricter in moderating the fringe elements... but it's not my forum, so I mention it here simply because you're asking for opinions.
Edwin, thank you very much for pointing out this, it's exactly my concern.

For any business, we should maintain a minimum level of business ethics -- guarantee the safety of our customers when they come to do business in our business premises.

When we come to a shop for purchasing something, we don't want to be attacked by a mad dog, whether the mad dog is owned by the shop owner or left behind by another customer. If an accident does happen, the shop owner should have the insurance to cover the consequence if the damage is too great. It's unethical to open a shop without taking the customers' safety into consideration.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@

Last edited by Giant; 18th August 2006 at 01:54 AM..
Old 18th August 2006, 02:41 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Very simply the guy has lost all credibility on this forum and it is probable he will never sell another name under the current identity (s) ?

Ignore.
Old 18th August 2006, 05:05 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess everyone should be aware that people from all sorts of cultural background come to this forum. What may seem a small matter in the eyes of Sahoo and some fellow Chinese is a very big issue in the Western society.

At the extreme, impersonation is often a chargeable criminal offense in many Western societies, and not just a "intellecture property issue". At the minimum, impersonation is just a form of "marketing tactic" which many Chinese use.

The Chinese "starbucks" almost used the same logo and sounding name as the American Starbucks and the latter had to sue for many years before getting it's IP rights addressed. I put up a thread in January annoucing that Starbucks had a logo in China, and everyone responded with "Yeah!", "Brilliant!", not knowing that logo isn't from Starbucks, but a look alike chain in China with almost 100 branches. http://www.idnforums.com/forums/381-...ight=starbucks

If this sort of thing happens to any other members, my advice is as follows:

1). Without alerting any third party, send a PM or private email to the offending party, "request" for the offending words to be removed. I think there is 90% chance the issue will end there.
2). And in the 10% chance that this doesn't work, report to Olney first for intervention (most normal Chinese respect people of authority).
3). And if even this doesn't work, request Olney's help to resolve the issue publicly (having a 3rd party intervention will reduce the impression of direct conflict, show sincerity in having a resolution, which is important in resolving any conflicts).

And yes, all these steps seem unduely lengthy in the Western mind but will help prevent the 撕破脸 (literally 'tear face') scenario, which in turn may lead to the 死缠烂打 scenario - this is a Chinese idiom which means a person harasses or clings on to you without end. And yeah, yeah, if you guessed it correctly, the whole thing is about "face management". :o

Last edited by touchring; 18th August 2006 at 05:40 AM..
Old 18th August 2006, 08:03 AM
Banned

idn1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
As for the question of my job, the most correct answer is I am a businessman.

I've devoted most of my time in business in China since 2000. My company name in China is 敏X立 Software Limited Company.
Hi

I cannot find this company name on the net,
does it have a website?
Old 18th August 2006, 09:39 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn1234
Hi

I cannot find this company name on the net,
does it have a website?
Who are you idn1234? What is your occupation? Where do you work? Where are you from and where do you live? What languages do you speak fluently? What is your native language? Please list any hobbies, technical certifications, and academic degrees. You show me yours and I'll show you mine. I really want to know who you are. I want to know your story.
Old 18th August 2006, 09:43 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
Who are you idn1234? What is your occupation? Where do you work? Where are you from and where do you live? What languages do you speak fluently? What is your native language? Please list any hobbies, technical certifications, and academic degrees. You show me yours and I'll show you mine. I really want to know who you are. I want to know your story.
I don't. The World is full of vindictive self-opinionated nobodies. Another one sparks very little interest with me.
Old 18th August 2006, 09:52 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

He/she won't answer (truthfully) anyway. :p
Old 18th August 2006, 10:43 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn1234
Hi, I cannot find this company name on the net, does it have a website?
I believe think Giant answered that:
"my business is done through my friend's large local company because he has all the necessary licenses for deploying applications on the web".

In regards to Sahoo/ it168 I believe that his remarks should have been struck down immediately, and what ever IP and user name banned. Sure he can come back again under another alias, but at least knows that any negative behavior will result in same.

For Giant, I think you have earned much respect here, and can list most of the senior members of the IDNF community as references anytime.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 18th August 2006 at 03:12 PM..
Old 18th August 2006, 02:25 PM
Veteran

Why does anyone needs to know about Giant's non-domain background? He has sold names and these were transferred, that's as much as is needed for anyone to know. I smell prejudice here.
Old 18th August 2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
I believe think Giant answered that:
"my business is done through my friend's large local company because he has all the necessary licenses for deploying applications on the web".
You are right, Bill. Thanks.

I first set up my company in China was not for selling products in China, but for writing programs for clients in Canada and US. I started focusing on doing something for the internet in China after the Dot Com Bubble burst. Internet stuff is quite sensitive in China, you can only succeed if you can have a prestigious local company to partner with you.

From 2000 - 2003, I actually live in China.

Quote:

In regards to Sahoo/ it168 I believe that his remarks should have been struck down immediately, and what ever IP and user name banned. Sure he can come back again under another alias, but at least knows that any negative behavior will result in same.
Yes, I spent less than 15 minutes to conclude that "51998" was bidding on his own sales. After I saw it168's remarks, I immediately sent all the Whois info to Olney to help him make decision, and he got back to me a day later saying he needed more proofs. He did find another proof from the Chinese forum that "51998' and "it168" are same person after spending another day searching.

@

Last edited by Giant; 18th August 2006 at 06:11 PM..
Old 18th August 2006, 06:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I first set up my company in China was not for selling products in China, but for writing programs for clients in Canada and US. I started focusing on doing something for the internet in China after the Dot Com Bubble burst. Internet stuff is quite sensitive in China, you can only succeed if you can have a prestigious local company to partner with you.

It's better to do software in Romania or Ukraine. China itself is so short of developers (they can hardly have enough 'good people' to serve their own market, let alone outsource to the West). Almost all my development work is outsourced to Eastern Europe found via freelancer sites. China staff just do China software sales and admin work - which includes one law graduate translating and sorting domains in Excel for me.

Most people that made money in China the last 5 years did so by churning real estate, though opportunity almost over, bubble bursting, too many empty luxury condos in second tier cities.

The worst is South East Asia, before it had chance to recover from '97 Asian Crisis, Sept 11 hit '01, followed by SARS '03, and then now America and China's real estate downturn.

Last edited by touchring; 18th August 2006 at 07:05 PM..
Old 18th August 2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
It's better to do software in Romania or Ukraine. China itself is so short of developers (they can hardly have enough 'good people' to serve their own market, let alone outsource to the West). Almost all my development work is outsourced to Eastern Europe found via freelancer sites. China staff just do China software sales and admin work - which includes one law graduate translating and sorting domains in Excel for me.

Most people that made money in China the last 5 years did so by churning real estate, though opportunity almost over, bubble bursting, too many empty luxury condos in second tier cities.

The worst is South East Asia, before it had chance to recover from Asian Crisis, Sept 11 hit, followed by SARS, and then now America and China's slowdown. Real Estate chart is down down and flat.
Learn more, don't talk too much!

@
Old 18th August 2006, 07:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Learn more, don't talk too much!

Yes, also learning at the same time. By the way, speaking about learning, for the benefit of the inquisitive here - here's a China history discussion forum, all in English, i've been following this forum the past few months, besides my skyscraper forums - http://www.chinahistoryforum.com.
Old 18th August 2006, 07:32 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Re: Your Opinion Or Advice Is Needed

Joe,

I'm speaking as a fellow IDNer (I'm on holiday with the family at the moment, so won't flex any mod muscles - I'll leave that for the others to do) ..

.. but all I can say is, when you are "up there", you are a target.

you are a target for all of those who do not have the funds today or didn't have the foresight yesterday - it can probably be best described as jealousy.

As the names dry up even more and the opportunities with them, this will get worse before it gets better.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

You have the support of your peers - just ignore these other tossers.
Old 18th August 2006, 07:49 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale

You have the support of your peers - just ignore these other tossers.
We seem to have consensus on the terminlogy here.
Old 19th August 2006, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
We seem to have consensus on the terminlogy here.
Thank you Alpha, RD...., and thanks to all my friends. This is a wonderful community!

Now I know what I should do. I have kept all the records, in case we would need to look at them again.

@