IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Site Suggestions & Feedback

Site Suggestions & Feedback We would like to hear what you think might make the site better or any feedback.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2006, 09:30 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Bumping of Sales Threads

What do you folks think of a no-bumping-your-own-sales-thread-for-24-hrs module?

It'll prevent one upsmanship, hard feelings and most importantly, let the domains sell themselves.
Old 27th January 2006, 09:47 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
What do you folks think of a no-bumping-your-own-sales-thread-for-24-hrs module?

It'll prevent one upsmanship, hard feelings and most importantly, let the domains sell themselves.
I do truly believe in letting the product sell. Let's face it if you have a great domain there really is no need to hype it over and over with 10 threads about how great it is, unless of course your answering direct questions.
Old 27th January 2006, 11:09 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
I do truly believe in letting the product sell. Let's face it if you have a great domain there really is no need to hype it over and over with 10 threads about how great it is, unless of course your answering direct questions.
Well, I wasn't aware that I was bumping and mine seem to be selling as well as any.

Yes, I suppose we will need to go in for all that stuff at some stage. I think in the coming months though, it going to be tough getting people to post many sales threads. Most of the good stuff will never be posted, and that which is, is often only a little tittilation.

Some of my stuff, I won't post here for a while yet, as I don't want everyone to know where I am trawling for fish.

Not sure that we should blindly follow the way things have been done elsewhere, but clearly other places have been successful and some of the structures used work and benefit the forum.

Best Regards
Dave

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 27th January 2006 at 11:13 PM..
Old 27th January 2006, 11:13 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
I don't think anyone is blaming anyone, or saying it's already happening. I think it's just more of a preemptive strike as we get more and more members. Because we will undoubtedly get those that love to spam.
Old 27th January 2006, 11:24 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I don't think anyone is blaming anyone, or saying it's already happening. I think it's just more of a preemptive strike as we get more and more members. Because we will undoubtedly get those that love to spam.
Well this is a slightly different game than Domaining 1.0 and I think on the whole the participants are a lot more intelligent than your average domainer. A lot of those claim to selling Typos when the simple fact is they can't spell!

There are some really clever guys on this Forum, but even one or two of them struggled real hard to grasp this business. I have seen threads, where some of the low lives that have trashed IDN have even started to ask about them, but I don't seriously expect to see them here.

I think this needs to grow Organically. We only have 1/250 of the members of DNForums, but we actually get similar numbers online at anytime, and the quantity and quality of the postings is in my view at least comparable if not superior.

Olney, is a clever guy and he will be monitoring the situation, as indeed we probably all shall. I think we are capable of resolving problems as they arise, probably rather better than we are able to predict the future development path of this Forum. If you had told me this time last month we would have a 100 members today, I would have laughed in your face. I now think we will soon be more than 1,000 strong, but I could so easily be wrong!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
Old 27th January 2006, 11:52 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwrixon
A lot of those claim to selling Typos when the simple fact is they can't spell!
I spat out my coffee!
Old 6th February 2006, 08:19 PM

Another point out to the 24 hour rule.

Today we have three new sales threads opened up by one person in the matter of a few hours. I don't want to say anything in the sales thread, but come on, common curtisy, should scream that this is unreasonable.
Old 6th February 2006, 09:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Another point out to the 24 hour rule.

Today we have three new sales threads opened up by one person in the matter of a few hours. I don't want to say anything in the sales thread, but come on, common curtisy, should scream that this is unreasonable.
I have to say I might be guilty of setting a precedent here, although I have seen little evidence to suggest that sales are closely related to threads.

Having said that I was ignorant of the 24hr rule, but agree that some kind of formal protocol should be implemented along with a fee for access to the sales threads.
Old 6th February 2006, 09:15 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
My opinion is sale threads with fixed prices are ok. Threads in which buyers are asked to make offer are taking up space...
Old 6th February 2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
My opinion is sale threads with fixed prices are ok. Threads in which buyers are asked to make offer are taking up space...
Well I've sold several on this forum this way so go figure.

The problem isn't that, the problem is 3 separate new sales threads by the same person in less than a few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrixon
Having said that I was ignorant of the 24hr rule, but agree that some kind of formal protocol should be implemented along with a fee for access to the sales threads.
Yes, either paid members can only post sales threads, and/or at least a header that says "1 sales thread per 24 hour period all others will be removed."
And then they actually get removed.
Old 6th February 2006, 09:33 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Yes, either paid members can only post sales threads, and/or at least a header that says "1 sales thread per 24 hour period all others will be removed." And then they actually get removed.
I second this motion...
Old 6th February 2006, 10:03 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
DNForum actually has a hack/plugin that automatically prevents the creation of more than 1 thread/24 hours by the same person (in the sales forum). Perhaps the same thing could be installed here, that way the moderation burden doesn't change.
Old 6th February 2006, 11:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
DNForum actually has a hack/plugin that automatically prevents the creation of more than 1 thread/24 hours by the same person (in the sales forum). Perhaps the same thing could be installed here, that way the moderation burden doesn't change.
I have to say I was thinking along similar lines, but then realised that Olney is already burdened with the problem of upgrading to a faster server, after only having recently changed the software platform. I agree in principle, but I feel we should give the man a break and trying to show a little displine in the interim.

I agree there should be limits on how many sales threads are posted. Surely for the time being this can be done on an informal basis.
Old 7th February 2006, 01:28 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I'll take a look into this tonight
I'm actually thinking the lagging maybe caused by RSS feeds.
I tend to think the lagging keeps happening exactly around the turn of the hour.
Tell me if you guys notice the same thing.
Old 7th February 2006, 01:40 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
I don't know if it mattered, but I definately got my computer running considerably faster, and IDNForums running much quicker by defragged my computer, running Microsofts free Antispyware (which is really very good by the way), running Norton Antivirus, and ran another Adware/Spyware removal program. Don't know if I needed to do all that but I am running at least 100% faster.
Old 7th February 2006, 02:49 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I'll take a look into this tonight
I'm actually thinking the lagging maybe caused by RSS feeds.
I tend to think the lagging keeps happening exactly around the turn of the hour.
Tell me if you guys notice the same thing.
I think you're right. At least a few folks are drawing feeds from IDNF and I've received RSS-related time-out errors during very slow times.
Old 7th February 2006, 03:34 AM
A.W.O.L

I think I've implemented one step of the solution

Let's see if it works

OK there we have it guys
Automatic no more double post....

Last edited by Olney; 7th February 2006 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 7th February 2006, 03:36 AM
Veteran

Cool -- how long does it take effect for?
Old 7th February 2006, 03:50 AM
A.W.O.L

About 1 week you can't bump your own threads.