IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd August 2006, 04:01 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
IDN Aquisitions

As most of us are members of here & DNF, DNF seems to have a section called
Aquisitions
Quote:
This section will open Aug. 24, 2006 and will be a private section where we will test and pay revenue multiples for all domains you wish to sell.
Before it opened I know it's going to be a hot topic so how do you guys think it will be.

I for think that God Bless Adam for the amount of domains that's going to be thrown at him. I think he can easily spot the value with ASCII Domains but with IDNs we are probably going to have to provide info guys.

We don't know exactly how that section will go. IDNs won't do good just based on traffic & we all know that.

If you are thinking of preparing domains for sale think about presentation a bit.
I personally suck at it, but I'll admit it.

Also the way you present your first or second batch might be remembered. If you write
These are the best Premium Domains you can find or hype it up & it isn't
Then you've just wasted their expectations of what you have.

Many of you actually do have the best IDNs out there.
I just want you guys to realize his staff is going to get flooded this week with domains.

Think about presentation beforehand

1. Try to offer accurate translation
2. Try to offer the actual way it is used (There are words that have multiple meanings)
3. Offer a few stats (Don't overdo it)

Few good things to mention might be:

You can check it on Google Trends
more than 40 advertisers are bidding on this term in OVT

If he has natives on board doing the checking it's a lot easier. So the section hasn't started yet, & I don't think it's instant aquisitions but trying to give those guys an easier job would be better for all.

Any thoughts? I have no problem with discussing how to sell if it means better sales for members.
Old 23rd August 2006, 04:07 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
Re: IDN Aquisitions

These are great points.

I think some major education will be needed to overcome the idea of buying IDNs based on traffic. We know that the potential is huge, but from a bulk-buy decision (which I have a feeling most of the acquisitions will be), many IDNs won't stack up numbers-wise (yet).

I think the important points will be advertisers buying the keyword and the amount of ads serving on Google. It shows a high probability of marketability for the domain, as well as reinforcing the point that if advertisers are willing to pay for it, it has value as a term/keyword/domain.
Old 23rd August 2006, 04:17 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest you guys read what the big players on DS are saying about iREIT's buying habits. btw, DCG started that thread - http://www.domainstate.com/showthrea...threadid=67109
Old 23rd August 2006, 04:20 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I don't believe now would be the time to sell IDN via this new DNF section. What kind of multiples are we going to be asking? 20 years, 100 years? These multiples won't fly, even though DCG knows the deal with IDNs.

For those wishing to sell, IDNF is still the best place.
Old 23rd August 2006, 04:26 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

I agree with many of the posters in the DS thread. I've never been completely satisfied with the "sales based on multiples" approach, because of the fact that a domain name has more value or ways to monetize it that just ppc. Of course, it is a difference between selling to resellers/ppc aggregators and selling to end-users...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I don't believe now would be the time to sell IDN via this new DNF section. What kind of multiples are we going to be asking? 20 years, 100 years? These multiples won't fly, even though DCG knows the deal with IDNs.

For those wishing to sell, IDNF is still the best place.
More than that in some (or many?) cases: RD's "translation" domain sold for, what, 420 years? I'm not saying it was a bad deal; I believe it was a steal at $9,000 based on future potential of IDNs and the quality of traffic it was currently getting, extrapolated out to post-IE7 levels, but at face value, it was a huge multiple...

Last edited by domainstosell; 23rd August 2006 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 23rd August 2006, 04:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainstosell
I agree with many of the posters in the DS thread. I've never been completely satisfied with the "sales based on multiples" approach, because of the fact that a domain name has more value or ways to monetize it that just ppc. Of course, it is a difference between selling to resellers/ppc aggregators and selling to end-users....

Yup, you got it, problem is, there are no end users here. An end user won't even bother to ask about traffic. But in my opinion, getting a fair offer from a real end user is like hitting a lottery prize.
Old 23rd August 2006, 04:50 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
An end user won't even bother to ask about traffic.

You head the Nail On the Head !
Old 23rd August 2006, 04:54 PM
A.W.O.L

I think before it opens we don't know IF IDNs are going to be bought based on traffic for A & B grade premium generics in competitive markets.
Since the current parking programs aren't 100% fixed yet traffic stats are way under what they should be.
I'm not downplaying our home either but IF fair pricing is available then it's good to discuss options.

Last edited by Olney; 23rd August 2006 at 04:57 PM..
Old 23rd August 2006, 05:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I think before it opens we don't know IF IDNs are going to be bought based on traffic for A & B grade premium generics in competitive markets.
Since the current parking programs aren't 100% fixed yet traffic stats are way under what they should be.
I'm not downplaying our home either but IF fair pricing is available then it's good to discuss options.

I think for top Japanese and Chinese generics, the A grade you are talking about, there's going to be a min. base price of maybe a couple grand. So far, at least this is what we are seeing for the recent translation.com sale.

Given that most of us only got one or two, or a few A grade names, we can't depend on such sales to help pay the mortgage. The market has to develop further, or we just got to wait for PPC to grow.

Last edited by touchring; 23rd August 2006 at 05:29 PM..
Old 23rd August 2006, 06:04 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a good thread that Olney started. I fear for all the garbage that the Acquisitions section is going to receive and I doubt I will submit anything. Some efforts by everyone to maintain the image of IDNs as a valuable asset class with a powerful growth story is important.

As for myself, I didn't get into IDNs to sell them. I got into them so that I could sleep at night and carry out my day job while my bank account could grow and grow. I'll sell off some here and there because realistically, I cannot ever develop everything. But I'm in for the long haul.

Lately I've been reading a book called "Microsoft in the Mirror" it is a collection of monologues from ex-Microsoft employees from the startup years. One thing I notice is so many of them saying, "I wish I'd held onto my stock options longer instead of cashing them in to buy a car. That car cost me millions."
Old 23rd August 2006, 06:30 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

You are right, it will be inundated with domains.

There will more likely be too many to give individual appraisals; it will simply be s straight traffic calc.

"brandable" names with little traffic and IDN's will just fall through the net at this time.

If you have to sell. Sell here. If you can hold, and wait. Hold and wait.
Old 23rd August 2006, 06:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Lately I've been reading a book called "Microsoft in the Mirror" it is a collection of monologues from ex-Microsoft employees from the startup years. One thing I notice is so many of them saying, "I wish I'd held onto my stock options longer instead of cashing them in to buy a car. That car cost me millions."

Without wanting to imply it has anything to do with domains at all, for every microsoft employee that said that, there's another 1000 dotcommer that said, "i wish i had sold all my stocks before the bubble burst!".

For me, i wish i had spent my fundings on domains instead of those dot coms.
Old 23rd August 2006, 07:23 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Before you sell check this out:

xn--igbmiu.com أجرة Rental

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

and I have got around to doing any clever stuff with these yet!
Old 23rd August 2006, 07:46 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Before you sell check this out:

xn--igbmiu.com أجرة Rental

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

and I have got around to doing any clever stuff with these yet!
thats an interesting one.

First and second place on the podium.

I checked the US ovt, expecting it to be another RD megaton-bomb... but it's not. In fact I can't see anything remarkable about this name.

apart from it has awesome serp.
Old 23rd August 2006, 08:05 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
thats an interesting one.

First and second place on the podium.

I checked the US ovt, expecting it to be another RD megaton-bomb... but it's not. In fact I can't see anything remarkable about this name.

apart from it has awesome serp.
I think it means RENTAL, but I am sure one of the Arabic speakers will know. I wouldn't got too much by US Overture!

The boys at the American Chamber of Commerce in Cairo seemed pretty impressed with that and didn't question the translation.
Old 23rd August 2006, 08:29 PM
A.W.O.L

Since the section isn't open we can only speculate about pricing
but no matter what we "discuss" when those gates open I can't expect for less than a few hundred IDNs to be put up.
My point is this is for those who bring the cows to market, put some signs around the dang thing.

We can't just assume what level iREIT is at with IDNs either. I too thought that IDNs would be put on the back burner but if his statements are we'll see the IDN market pickup, then I assume prices can't be "just" based on traffic. We'll have to see though.
Old 23rd August 2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Since the section isn't open we can only speculate about pricing
but no matter what we "discuss" when those gates open I can't expect for less than a few hundred IDNs to be put up.
My point is this is for those who bring the cows to market, put some signs around the dang thing.

We can't just assume what level iREIT is at with IDNs either. I too thought that IDNs would be put on the back burner but if his statements are we'll see the IDN market pickup, then I assume prices can't be "just" based on traffic. We'll have to see though.
I may be wrong in my assumption, but with the amount of names that will be thrown at them through the section at DNF, they probably won't take the time to personally respond to everyone (any more than a stock "thanks, but no thanks" email or pm).

If people are seriously considering selling IDN portfolios, would they be better served to go through iREIT's site? I haven't done that with IDNs, but I did a while back with ASCII names, and got a phone call from one of their buyers. At least that way, you have the opportunity for some on-on-one salesmanship and the chance to educate.
Old 23rd August 2006, 09:04 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I think it means RENTAL, but I am sure one of the Arabic speakers will know. I wouldn't got too much by US Overture!

The boys at the American Chamber of Commerce in Cairo seemed pretty impressed with that and didn't question the translation.
I wasn't appraising it.

in fact quite the opposite. My point was it's a good name shown by the interest you have received in it, but I wouldn't have known that from running it through the usual stats.

Just another example of why we shouldn't really drop anything that translates ok this side of traffic.
Old 23rd August 2006, 09:05 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

This is a part of iREIT response from some time ago (ascii,not idn's)

Sounds like you have a good list of domain names. However, I don't think
that we could get there on pricing terms with you if you're running a
competitive bid process and expect to sell the name for vanity purposes.

Our primary focus is acquiring domain names/portfolios generating
substantial traffic & revenue for multiples of cash flow. We don't
"speculate" on many assets and your domain wouldn't be a strategic purchase
for us (e.g. it doesn't have unique portfolio synergies).

If it turns out that you can't sell it for "strategic" prices, we'd be happy
to look at a purchase, but would need the traffic & current revenue
and we
would need to understand the price at which you'd sell the domains (and be
sure that we would be able to financially justify the purchase off existing
revenue).

Thanks for your interest in iREIT.

Bob

Bob Martin, CEO
Internet REIT, L.P.
Old 23rd August 2006, 09:08 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
My point was it's a good name shown by the interest you have received in it, but I wouldn't have known that from running it through the usual stats.

Just another example of why we shouldn't really drop anything that translates ok this side of traffic.
Also another reason why Major Money Industries dont always have to fit the profile of the usual stats .